Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking videos on iPods

Just wondering, if there is any interest in having woodworking
videos on iPods and similar devices. Perfect for the shop - small,
light and portable. I know some folks have TVs in the shop but
is for entertainment or for instruction?

Interested in comments. I'm doing some "back of the envelope"
market analysis for myself. So any comments are appreciated.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
You need to see details on woodworking videos -- a tiny screen
isn't good for instruction.

Plus you would be missing a big, important detail about woodworking
demographics.

That most of us are "visually challenged".

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg D.

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 11:36:12 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
You need to see details on woodworking videos -- a tiny screen
isn't good for instruction.

Plus you would be missing a big, important detail about woodworking
demographics.

That most of us are "visually challenged".

I would add something else to this reality... How many of those
"visually challenge" folks have an iPod? They probably don't even know
what it is.

Sorry but this idea is good for garbage.

Think harder!

Greg D.
Posted to rec.woodworking
N Hurst

Also, I'm not sure I'd want a sensitive $400 piece of electronics in my
shop, which is filled with spinning metal bits, sharp edges, precarious
drops, hard floors, and sawdust everywhere.

It's an interesting concept, but I'm not sure how practical it would be,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Greg D. wrote:

I would add something else to this reality... How many of those
"visually challenge" folks have an iPod? They probably don't even know
what it is.

OMG, I think I'm a geek myself, but I didn't know an iPod could play
video! I think that means I don't know what one is.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
Greg D. wrote:

I would add something else to this reality... How many of those
"visually challenge" folks have an iPod? They probably don't even know
what it is.

OMG, I think I'm a geek myself, but I didn't know an iPod could play
video! I think that means I don't know what one is.

My 83 year old mother has one of the video models ... but that's OK, cuz it
forced her to recently upgrade from Windows 3.11 For Workgroups and get a
new computer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Swingman wrote:
"Enoch Root" wrote in message

Greg D. wrote:

I would add something else to this reality... How many of those
"visually challenge" folks have an iPod? They probably don't even know
what it is.

OMG, I think I'm a geek myself, but I didn't know an iPod could play
video! I think that means I don't know what one is.

My 83 year old mother has one of the video models ... but that's OK, cuz it
forced her to recently upgrade from Windows 3.11 For Workgroups and get a
new computer.

Ooh, they work with Linux?

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks much to all who posted. Without out something to
actually show people, I'd guess most here are not enthusiastic
about the idea of a portable video player in the workshop.

Appreciate the comments tho, again thanks!

To answer one question: people have provided hacks
for using iPods with Linux. Tho, Apple has yet to
provide an iTunes for Linux which would be so much
easier!

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

That's a fact.

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
Plus you would be missing a big, important detail about woodworking
demographics.

That most of us are "visually challenged".

FA; eBay: Woodworking books videos Zak Woodturning 9 October 23rd 04 03:38 AM
AD: 26 Hometime Home Improvement Videos - Ebay Item 6315568326 [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 18th 04 06:53 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Is there a FAQ? Neil Woods Woodworking 4 August 21st 03 05:46 PM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM