Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Staining Unfinished Cabinets

I have stained a couple of doors and a couple of handrails with
good results, but that is the extent of my experience. I am
considering buying unfinished oak kitchen cabinets, and I am wondering
what could go wrong and how to avoid any problems if I do buy the
cabinets. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

JD

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

Oak generally doesn't present any unique staining and finishing problems.
But cabinet doors (raised panel) do have exposed end grain (top and bottom
bevel on the panel and ends of stiles) that tends to stain darker. May want
to use a stain conditioner on those areas first.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have stained a couple of doors and a couple of handrails with
good results, but that is the extent of my experience. I am
considering buying unfinished oak kitchen cabinets, and I am wondering
what could go wrong and how to avoid any problems if I do buy the
cabinets. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

JD

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have stained a couple of doors and a couple of handrails with
good results, but that is the extent of my experience. I am
considering buying unfinished oak kitchen cabinets, and I am wondering
what could go wrong and how to avoid any problems if I do buy the
cabinets. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

I did several cabinets years before I did any woodworking. Came out fine;
as I recall I just slapped some oil stain on them; no varnish. They still
look fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

If there is *one* rule in finishing, it is "practice on scrap" hopefully
there will be a cabinet side that will be put against a wall, or an interior
component on which you can do a test to make sore the finishing schedule you
choose will give you the look you want.

-Steve

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have stained a couple of doors and a couple of handrails with
good results, but that is the extent of my experience. I am
considering buying unfinished oak kitchen cabinets, and I am wondering
what could go wrong and how to avoid any problems if I do buy the
cabinets. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

JD

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies.

JD