Posted to rec.woodworking
jtpr

Default How to cut a bevel on a small piece of wood vertically.

Anybody know of a good, safe way to cut a 15 degree bevel on the end of
a small (3" x 6") piece of 5/4 curly maple? In other words I
need to have the piece resting on the end grain with the 6" vertical,
and then run it over a left tilt blade set to 15 degrees. I'm
thinking I can make a jig that straddles my fence, clamp it to that and
do it. Seems fine on the surface, but with something like this I like
to check others to see if I'm missing something with regards to
safety or accuracy. This is for the top of a small box I am giving as
a gift.

I don't have a router bit to do this, and can't get one at the
moment, so that isn't an option.

Thanks for any advice.

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

Why not hot glue it to the side of a big block of wood. It'll give you much
more to hang onto while passing it over the saw and it'll hold it in a
perfect vertical position. A sharp rap with a dead blow hammer will break
the hot melt glue joint after you make the cut.

--
Charley

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody know of a good, safe way to cut a 15 degree bevel on the end of
a small (3" x 6") piece of 5/4 curly maple? In other words I
need to have the piece resting on the end grain with the 6" vertical,
and then run it over a left tilt blade set to 15 degrees. I'm
thinking I can make a jig that straddles my fence, clamp it to that and
do it. Seems fine on the surface, but with something like this I like
to check others to see if I'm missing something with regards to
safety or accuracy. This is for the top of a small box I am giving as
a gift.

I don't have a router bit to do this, and can't get one at the
moment, so that isn't an option.

Thanks for any advice.

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gary A in KC

That's the perfect use for a tenoning jig. What you're describing doing is
just a home made tenoning jig. Just make sure your piece is clamped well to
your jig. Think every shop should have one of these whether it's a store
bought Delta or a homemade. Just about every wood magazine has had some sort
of design for a home built tenoning jig over the years.
Maybe like this one: http://www.woodsmithstore.com/tenjigharkit.html

My 2 cents

Gary in KC

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody know of a good, safe way to cut a 15 degree bevel on the end of
a small (3" x 6") piece of 5/4 curly maple? In other words I
need to have the piece resting on the end grain with the 6" vertical,
and then run it over a left tilt blade set to 15 degrees. I'm
thinking I can make a jig that straddles my fence, clamp it to that and
do it. Seems fine on the surface, but with something like this I like
to check others to see if I'm missing something with regards to
safety or accuracy. This is for the top of a small box I am giving as
a gift.

I don't have a router bit to do this, and can't get one at the
moment, so that isn't an option.

Thanks for any advice.

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"jtpr" wrote in message
Anybody know of a good, safe way to cut a 15 degree bevel on the end of
a small (3" x 6") piece of 5/4 curly maple? In other words I
need to have the piece resting on the end grain with the 6" vertical,
and then run it over a left tilt blade set to 15 degrees. I'm
thinking I can make a jig that straddles my fence, clamp it to that and
do it. Seems fine on the surface, but with something like this I like
to check others to see if I'm missing something with regards to
safety or accuracy. This is for the top of a small box I am giving as
a gift.

Look at the spline cutting jig, used for cutting the slot for splines in
mitered joints, on my website, Jigs and Fixtures page, then remove the part
that holds the mitered parts. Should take you ten minutes, and some scrap
plywood, to build the versatile little jig.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave W

There is a tool available for this sort of problem. It is inexpensive, very
versatile, leaves a wonderful surface but it takes a little patience and
practise to use well. Thats probably why no one would even think of using a
PLANE. Two marking guage lines, a few swipes with a sharp plane and thats
it. Please don't tell me your curly maple cannot be planed. Its just a
matter of a sharp blade and a small (see through) chip. Router bit.....what
is the world coming to?
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Dave W" wrote in message

......what is the world coming to?

Left tilt table saws?

... he has one. So do I, and lots of planes, but I'd still go to the table
saw for that task. Different strokes ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Dave W wrote:
There is a tool available for this sort of problem. It is inexpensive, very
versatile, leaves a wonderful surface but it takes a little patience and
practise to use well. Thats probably why no one would even think of using a
PLANE. Two marking guage lines, a few swipes with a sharp plane and thats
it. Please don't tell me your curly maple cannot be planed. Its just a
matter of a sharp blade and a small (see through) chip. Router bit.....what
is the world coming to?
Dave

I was going to mention essentially the same (and apparently unthinkable)
suggestion--plane the edge...

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Dave W" wrote in message
There is a tool available for this sort of problem. It is inexpensive,
very versatile, leaves a wonderful surface but it takes a little patience
and practise to use well. Thats probably why no one would even think of
using a PLANE. Two marking guage lines, a few swipes with a sharp plane
and thats it. Please don't tell me your curly maple cannot be planed.
Its just a matter of a sharp blade and a small (see through) chip. Router
bit.....what is the world coming to?
Dave

A bit pompous, don't you think?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On 3 Feb 2006 06:10:02 -0800, "jtpr" wrote:

Anybody know of a good, safe way to cut a 15 degree bevel on the end of
a small (3" x 6") piece of 5/4 curly maple?

Start with a relatively much larger piece and cut the bevel first.
Then cut the rectangle. So, you wind up with some scrap ...don't we
all? If concerned with cost of wood, make only a little longer, and
screw it to a larger block of scrap, and again cut the bevel, then
finish the recatangle. You'll have only a little loss from wood
screws.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Frank Drackman wrote:

"Dave W" wrote in message
There is a tool available for this sort of problem. It is
inexpensive, very versatile, leaves a wonderful surface but it
takes a little patience and practise to use well. Thats probably
why no one would even think of using a PLANE. Two marking guage
lines, a few swipes with a sharp plane and thats it. Please
don't tell me your curly maple cannot be planed. Its just a
matter of a sharp blade and a small (see through) chip. Router
bit.....what is the world coming to?
Dave

A bit pompous, don't you think?

Pompus? In usenet? What is the world coming to !!!???

Joe Barta

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Frank Drackman" wrote in message

A bit pompous, don't you think?

Or possibly the "when you get your first hammer everything looks like a
nail' syndrome?

A couple of obvious points that seems to have gone over some heads:

It's a sure bet that if the OP was proficient in the use of planes, and
owned the best plane for that job, he would not have asked that particular
question in the first place.

And heading him in the direction of utilizing a tool he specifically stated
he did have would better serve his request.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Dave W" wrote in message
There is a tool available for this sort of problem. It is inexpensive,
very versatile, leaves a wonderful surface but it takes a little patience
and practise to use well. Thats probably why no one would even think of
using a PLANE. Two marking guage lines, a few swipes with a sharp plane
and thats it. Please don't tell me your curly maple cannot be planed.
Its just a matter of a sharp blade and a small (see through) chip. Router
bit.....what is the world coming to?
Dave

So define "a few swipes" with a plane. I am thinking 40 or 50.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody know of a good, safe way to cut a 15 degree bevel on the end of
a small (3" x 6") piece of 5/4 curly maple? In other words I
need to have the piece resting on the end grain with the 6" vertical,
and then run it over a left tilt blade set to 15 degrees. I'm
thinking I can make a jig that straddles my fence, clamp it to that and
do it. Seems fine on the surface, but with something like this I like
to check others to see if I'm missing something with regards to
safety or accuracy. This is for the top of a small box I am giving as
a gift.

I don't have a router bit to do this, and can't get one at the
moment, so that isn't an option.

Cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to about 6 or 7" square. Set your rip fence to
the correct location for depth/width of cut. Use the square piece of
plywood to push and back up the piece you want to cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Leon wrote:
"Dave W" wrote in message

There is a tool available for this sort of problem. It is inexpensive,
very versatile, leaves a wonderful surface but it takes a little patience
and practise to use well. Thats probably why no one would even think of
using a PLANE. Two marking guage lines, a few swipes with a sharp plane
and thats it. Please don't tell me your curly maple cannot be planed.
Its just a matter of a sharp blade and a small (see through) chip. Router
bit.....what is the world coming to?
Dave

So define "a few swipes" with a plane. I am thinking 40 or 50.

isn't it only 3" of wood that needs trimming??

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"Dave W" wrote in message

There is a tool available for this sort of problem. It is inexpensive,
very versatile, leaves a wonderful surface but it takes a little patience
and practise to use well. Thats probably why no one would even think of
using a PLANE. Two marking guage lines, a few swipes with a sharp plane
and thats it. Please don't tell me your curly maple cannot be planed.
Its just a matter of a sharp blade and a small (see through) chip.
Router bit.....what is the world coming to?
Dave

So define "a few swipes" with a plane. I am thinking 40 or 50.

isn't it only 3" of wood that needs trimming??

I guess but when removing a few thousands or hundreds of an inch of wood on
each pass...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message
How about a tenoning jig??

You never know, but I would have thought that it he had one he would have
figured that out. If he doesn't have one, the plywood jig I pointed him to
works on the same principle.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Buy a tenon cutting jig. They are perfect for this job and you can set
several compound angles very accurately with a sine bar setup.
or . . . Make your own tenon cutting jig from wood. My old homemade one
still has application for some projects.
Bugs