Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

Default Just got some wood (AC vs. CDX)

I bought a 4'x8' sheet of plywood from the local lumberyard over lunch.
This plywood makes that stuff they sale in HomeDepot look like
particleboard. In fact that HD stuff had particleboard or MDF in it,
whereas this has 5 layers of alternating solid wood. Plus the layers
are distinct, whereas at HD I had trouble differentiating since they
were so thin and rough on the edges.

Anyway, I bought 3/4" AC Fir. It was $40. They had some 3/4" CDX Fir
for ~$20. Why is the AC so much more? I really felt like I should have
just bought the CDX and sanded it. Any reason I couldn't save $20 by
buying the CDX?

--
Thank you,

Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

Default Additional question about wood working environment

dnoyeB wrote:
I bought a 4'x8' sheet of plywood from the local lumberyard over lunch.
This plywood makes that stuff they sale in HomeDepot look like
particleboard. In fact that HD stuff had particleboard or MDF in it,
whereas this has 5 layers of alternating solid wood. Plus the layers
are distinct, whereas at HD I had trouble differentiating since they
were so thin and rough on the edges.

Anyway, I bought 3/4" AC Fir. It was $40. They had some 3/4" CDX Fir
for ~$20. Why is the AC so much more? I really felt like I should have
just bought the CDX and sanded it. Any reason I couldn't save $20 by
buying the CDX?

One more question. This wood was stored outside in the cold in Detroit,
MI which is dry and about 45degrees F. The cabinet will be constructed
in the basement of a house which is about 70 degrees with a humidifier.

How long should I let the wood sit in the basement before I get to work
on it?

--
Thank you,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

dnoyeB wrote:

Anyway, I bought 3/4" AC Fir. It was $40. They had some 3/4" CDX Fir
for ~$20. Why is the AC so much more? I really felt like I should have
just bought the CDX and sanded it. Any reason I couldn't save $20 by
buying the CDX?

Which to buy depends on the end use. The differences are mainly in the
number and size of knots in the face veneers. Here is a link with
descriptions and photos.

http://www.cwc.ca/products/plywood/grades.php

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

AC Ply has no knots on one side, but might have some imperfections on the
other. AC is also sanded on both sides. CDX can have knots and voids on
both sides and is unsanded. --dave

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
I bought a 4'x8' sheet of plywood from the local lumberyard over lunch.
This plywood makes that stuff they sale in HomeDepot look like
particleboard. In fact that HD stuff had particleboard or MDF in it,
whereas this has 5 layers of alternating solid wood. Plus the layers are
distinct, whereas at HD I had trouble differentiating since they were so
thin and rough on the edges.

Anyway, I bought 3/4" AC Fir. It was $40. They had some 3/4" CDX Fir for
~$20. Why is the AC so much more? I really felt like I should have just
bought the CDX and sanded it. Any reason I couldn't save $20 by buying
the CDX?

--
Thank you,

man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard." Ecclesiastes
9:16

Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

"dnoyeB" wrote in message

I bought a 4'x8' sheet of plywood from the local lumberyard over lunch.
This plywood makes that stuff they sale in HomeDepot look like
particleboard. In fact that HD stuff had particleboard or MDF in it,
whereas this has 5 layers of alternating solid wood. Plus the layers are
distinct, whereas at HD I had trouble differentiating since they were so
thin and rough on the edges.

Anyway, I bought 3/4" AC Fir. It was $40. They had some 3/4" CDX Fir for
~$20. Why is the AC so much more? I really felt like I should have just
bought the CDX and sanded it. Any reason I couldn't save $20 by buying
the CDX?

--
Thank you,

man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard." Ecclesiastes
9:16

Yea that was it. I had written the rating info down in my PDA before I
went shopping. But the sanding threw me off and I thought the
difference was in the smoothness and forgot about the knots. There are
some plugs on one side of the panel. Ill have to check the other on my
way home.

--
Thank you,

Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

Dave Jackson wrote:
AC Ply has no knots on one side, but might have some imperfections on the
other. AC is also sanded on both sides. CDX can have knots and voids on
both sides and is unsanded. --dave

Well turns out it has no knots because they were filled. Other side has
some unfilled knots and is not as smooth.

--
Thank you,