Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Large bandsaws and little blades

Hi.

Still debating between a Bridgewood 17" and Rikon 18" bandsaw or a
smaller 14" BS. How do these larger saws perform when using smaller
(say, 1/4") blades? Are the blades easy to track? Is it easy to see
the cut-line beyond the larger guides? Are the lower tables (relative
to a 14" saw) a problem? Any other comments or advice?

Thanks as always for your help.

David
Posted to rec.woodworking

David wrote:
Hi.

Still debating between a Bridgewood 17" and Rikon 18" bandsaw or a
smaller 14" BS. How do these larger saws perform when using smaller
(say, 1/4") blades? Are the blades easy to track? Is it easy to see
the cut-line beyond the larger guides? Are the lower tables (relative
to a 14" saw) a problem? Any other comments or advice?

Thanks as always for your help.

David

I routinely run 1/4" blades on my 18" parks bandsaw without problems.
it has a pretty high table for an 18" saw and pretty primitive guides,
but if the guides on your target machine can be adjusted for a narrow
blade I don't see a reason not to do it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message
Hi.

Still debating between a Bridgewood 17" and Rikon 18" bandsaw or a smaller
14" BS. How do these larger saws perform when using smaller (say, 1/4")
blades? Are the blades easy to track? Is it easy to see the cut-line
beyond the larger guides? Are the lower tables (relative to a 14" saw) a
problem? Any other comments or advice?

Thanks as always for your help.

David

I went from a 12 " Craftsman to the 18" Rikon. It will handle 1/4" through
1-1/4' wide blades. As for as being able to see the blades there is no
problem. On some saws it is harder to see what you are sawing then the
guard is down low. Rikon has a window at the bottom of the blade guard to
aid your vision. The guides are behind the blade. They do not get in the
way of the line you are looking at. Tracking on the Rikon is pretty easy
as again it has a window on the top side so that you can watch the tracking
as you adjust it and turn the upper wheel by hand. I actually prefer the
lower table. I was lifting 8" diameter 3' long tree limbs up there and was
much more comfortable with everything a bit lower.

Posted to rec.woodworking
jack

just bought a 20 inch Laguna bandsaw a while back and haven't really spent
much time on it but have used a one inch laguna resaw king blade for sizing
cabinet parts and also a 1/4 inch blade also from laguna for doing some work
requiring some curves, after sitting the saw up and ajusting the tension and
also having each blade more or less in the center of the wheel I have had no
problems what so ever, I'm very pleased with this saw. attention to properly
sitting up your saw or what have you seems to stop alot of problems before
they start.... good luck