Posted to rec.woodworking
noonenparticular

Default mot melt edge banding

I don't have a dedicated pre-set temperature edge banding iron, so I'm gonna
borrow swmbo's. If I wreck it, I'll buy her a new one for Valentine's day
(ducks).

Anyway, what would the proper temperature be for iron-on melamine edge
banding?

tia,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

I've only done it with the iron-on oak veneer edge banding, but the
medium setting seemed to work just fine. I emptied the water out of
the iron first. It seemed pretty forgiving.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

noonenparticular wrote:

I don't have a dedicated pre-set temperature edge banding iron, so I'm gonna
borrow swmbo's. If I wreck it, I'll buy her a new one for Valentine's day
(ducks).

Anyway, what would the proper temperature be for iron-on melamine edge
banding?

tia,

jc

I spent all of $9.99 at Kmart for a steam iron since my wife didn't want
me using her Rowenta. it works great for iron on stuff. And it's MINE.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"noonenparticular" wrote in message

Anyway, what would the proper temperature be for iron-on melamine edge
banding?

If you still have the original packaging, it should say. The type we use on
'trim carpenter' built shelving around here goes on with the iron set on a
"low" heat.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"noonenparticular" wrote:

I don't have a dedicated pre-set temperature edge banding iron, so I'm gonna
borrow swmbo's. If I wreck it, I'll buy her a new one for Valentine's day
(ducks).

Anyway, what would the proper temperature be for iron-on melamine edge
banding?

Test it.

You want it hot enough that the adhesive melts sufficiently to crawl
into the fibres of the substrate..... but not so hot as to
scorch/melt/bubble/discolour/set-ablaze/smoke/stink/burn your tape.

I find that if you apply it with an iron, of sufficient temperature,
then tamp it down by pushing something solid and smooth against it, like
a block of metal, which will work as a heatsink, cooling the tape and
freezing it in place, and will not allow the tape to lift itself off the
edge. Holding it down while cooling will give you a superior edge when
you trim the excess with a chisel. (Chisel will need to be registered
I use a short/stubby 1-1/4" Footprint cheapie with back-bevel so it
won't dig in as easily.

HTH

r.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

The Oak banding I bought said to use the "cotton" setting - which is the
hot setting. I did cover the sole of the iron with alum foil just to keep
the glue off of it.

Glad I did!

"noonenparticular" wrote in message
. net...
I don't have a dedicated pre-set temperature edge banding iron, so I'm
gonna borrow swmbo's. If I wreck it, I'll buy her a new one for
Valentine's day (ducks).

Anyway, what would the proper temperature be for iron-on melamine edge
banding?

tia,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank K.

Go to several garage/yard sales. You can find irons for 50
cents or so. I set mine on next to the hottest setting and
follow the iron with a block of wood to cool the edge
banding soon after it adheres. I then use a Veritas trimmer
similar to
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=930-344
to cut the excess.

Frank

"noonenparticular" wrote in
message
. net...
I don't have a dedicated pre-set temperature edge banding
iron, so I'm gonna borrow swmbo's. If I wreck it, I'll
buy her a new one for Valentine's day (ducks).

Anyway, what would the proper temperature be for iron-on
melamine edge banding?

tia,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

noonenparticular wrote:
I don't have a dedicated pre-set temperature edge banding iron, so I'm gonna
borrow swmbo's. If I wreck it, I'll buy her a new one for Valentine's day
(ducks).

Anyway, what would the proper temperature be for iron-on melamine edge
banding?

tia,

jc

I always use the "hot" setting. After ironing on the edging use a soft
wooden block to give it a good hard rub to ensure that it is fixed.
If the iron has an Aluminium sole on it use a cloth between the iron and
the edging as the aluminium can leave black marks which are a real bitch
to get rid of.

Here's the trick to removing the excess edging.
You can use a chisel as previously stated but don't use the cutting edge!!
Place the chisel flat on the board and use it like a scissor. Cutting in
toward the timber.
A scraper works better using the same technique.
When trimmed just hit the edges with a piece of 120 paper on a block.

regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
John B