Posted to rec.woodworking
Sam The Cat

Default seeing the edge

If I were in the mood to try and see the hook on a scraper or the wire edge
on a plane blade as I sharpen it -- what would you suggest for the
appropriate magnification -- Would a Jeweler's Loupe (10x,15x or 20x) do the
job ?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

For the scraper, the 10x would do it. For the pane iron, it would depend
greatly on how fine an edge you had. Generally, it would be in the
microscope category.

"Sam The Cat" wrote in message
. ..
If I were in the mood to try and see the hook on a scraper or the wire

edge
on a plane blade as I sharpen it -- what would you suggest for the
appropriate magnification -- Would a Jeweler's Loupe (10x,15x or 20x) do

the
job ?

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

If I were in the mood to try and see the hook on a scraper or the wire edge
on a plane blade as I sharpen it -- what would you suggest for the appropriate magnification -- Would a Jeweler's Loupe (10x,15x
or 20x) do the job ?

To see that bur you might want the Microsoft digital microscope, as described
for sharpening by Brent Beach:
http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/qx3.html
Brent's Sharpening Pages
http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/ (home page)

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Sam The Cat wrote:
If I were in the mood to try and see the hook on a scraper or the wire edge
on a plane blade as I sharpen it -- what would you suggest for the
appropriate magnification -- Would a Jeweler's Loupe (10x,15x or 20x) do the
job ?

Well of course it depends somewhat on your sharpening. 25 years ago I
could often see the hook by naked eye, now if I'm not wearing my 2.5
diopter reading glasses I couldn't read the name stamped on the blade.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Australopithecus scobis

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:47:27 -0500, Sam The Cat opined:

Would a Jeweler's Loupe (10x,15x or 20x) do the
job ?

I use a 5x General loupe from the the hardware store. It works for scraper
edges. LV has a nice, inexpensive set of three: 2x, 5x and 10x. You might
want to consider a pocket microscope, 30x or so. I don't find mine all
that useful in the wood shop, but YMMV.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net

"Z Flashing" A Bottom T1-11 Siding Edge ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 January 26th 21 08:47 PM
Sharpening buckaroo Woodturning 21 December 6th 03 06:55 PM
gutter drip edge problems wgadsby Home Repair 1 October 24th 03 10:26 AM