Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Space Question

Is anyone aware of any businesses or co-op's where a person can go in
and use woodworking, metal, or other types of tools and machinery for
personal or hobby use. A place designed for the person that doesn't
have the cash, space, or need for specialize tools but does like to
work with their hands. Any information would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
robo hippy

Some community centers, and Universities, and community colleges will
have wood shops available 'with instructor's' consent. I haven't heard
of metal shops available this way.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.woodworking

The local university here has a wood shop where they give classes and
let you rent time. Taking one class certifies you to rent time in the
shop.

The machines are poorly maintained, often out of calibration, and
usually when you want a particular machine, like a jointer, it isn't
working. That shop was one of my major incentives to purchase many of
my current tools.

It might be that if this particular campus offered any courses or
majors in woodworking, the shop might be in better condition, but they
don't. So it isn't.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On 29 Jan 2006 08:51:53 -0800, "
wrote:

Is anyone aware of any businesses or co-op's where a person can go in
and use woodworking, metal, or other types of tools and machinery for
personal or hobby use. A place designed for the person that doesn't
have the cash, space, or need for specialize tools but does like to
work with their hands. Any information would be appreciated.

Yes. In my town (pop, 28,000) there is a business that does just that
and there was an article in the local newspaper about it. The wood
shop (it's called "Your Wood Shop") has the basic machinery for
customers to use. I think it is a bit unusual when you think about
the liability and insurance issues. Woodworking is hazardous, and I'd
feel uncomfortable allowing others to use my shop.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

here's a link to check out such a business ...

http://www.yourwoodshop.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
John

The only thing like it that I ever saw was in the Florida retirement
community where my dad moved to a couple years back. Apparently not
everyone down there plays golf all day. :-) Lots of TLC goes into
their shop equipment. Very well maintained. But you have to be a member
to get in the door -- and I imagine that it's probably a lot cheaper and
a whole lot less competitive to buy your own machinery.

J.