Posted to rec.woodworking
SimonLW

Default Tools for acrylic (plexi) fabrication

Hi, I work with acrylic material to fabricate display cases and such. I'm
seeking advice from experienced acrylic fabricators as to what tools I
should purchase for home based fabrication work. I know I need a table saw
and router with the proper blades and bits, but I'm not sure of the type of
equipment. I saw a Hitachi C10FL table saw at a home center store. It was
the largest model they sold. Would it be good for acrylic work? I know that
question is somewhat vague. Acrylic needs very accurate and square cuts to
look right, so I need a saw that will be easy to use accurately

Next, I need a router. I'm not too familiar with these. I would need it to
plane the edges for polishing or cementing. It would also be used to put
profiles in the edge, such as a bevel. I don't expect to route edges longer
than 36". The router tables at the home center looked too small and are
portable.

Thanks for any advice!

Simon

Posted to rec.woodworking

Can't do your tablesaw but can advise some router info.
See the http://www.patwarner.com/selecting_router.html and
http://www.patwarner.com/rfs.html links for starters.
One a freebie.
I have and do work acrylic.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Warner

"SimonLW" wrote:

Hi, I work with acrylic material to fabricate display cases and such. I'm
seeking advice from experienced acrylic fabricators as to what tools I
should purchase for home based fabrication work. I know I need a table saw
and router with the proper blades and bits, but I'm not sure of the typeof
equipment. I saw a Hitachi C10FL table saw at a home center store. It was
the largest model they sold. Would it be good for acrylic work? I know that
question is somewhat vague. Acrylic needs very accurate and square cuts to
look right, so I need a saw that will be easy to use accurately

Use a triple chip blade (Sometimes called a "plastic" blade. In fact,
I use this type for wood and aluminum too.)

I've never used a router on acrylic though.. Sounds risky..

--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.