Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dewalt DW746

I just bought a Dewalt DW746 w/mobile base from the Newspaper. It's
about 2 years old, and in great shape. I paid $650 for it. I though
this was pretty good, was I right?

If you have one of these, do you like it?

Thanks
Ben

Posted to rec.woodworking
eric

Ben,

IMO - it's a pretty good deal if the saws good shape. I think they go for
about $950 for the base model.

I've had one for about 3 years, used it heavily, and still like it. First
thing I did was put a WWII on it - I think that blade makes any saw work
better.

Good points:
1)Decent power on 120v
2)Runs pretty smooth.
3)Knee switch for shut-off
4)Fence moves easily and locks square
5)Minimal initial tuning required.
6)Table was dead flat
7) Retains tune-up well
8) Easy to read scale on fence

My complaints:
1) Sliding table (optional) was out of flat by almost .15" (not kidding).
Have to say though that the Dewalt service center replaced without question
even though I'd had it for over a year before I took it in.
2) Extension table (optional) began to sag shortly after installing a
router. Easily fixed with angle iron and shims though.
3) Sliding table mitre has too much flex. Replaced w/Incra mitre.
4) Dust colleciton is acceptable but could be better
5) Installation of 52" extension and sliding table was a bear (at least for
me)

If buying another hybrid I'd buy the Dewalt again just for the service
experience. I've been thinking of a PM66 (or the new PM - forget the model)
for my next saw though :^)

HTH

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought a Dewalt DW746 w/mobile base from the Newspaper. It's
about 2 years old, and in great shape. I paid $650 for it. I though
this was pretty good, was I right?

If you have one of these, do you like it?

Thanks
Ben

Posted to rec.woodworking
gw

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought a Dewalt DW746 w/mobile base from the Newspaper. It's
about 2 years old, and in great shape. I paid $650 for it. I though
this was pretty good, was I right?

If you have one of these, do you like it?

Thanks
Ben

Got it - like it a lot. Did 2 things to make me love it:
1. Wired it for 220
2. Bought the sliding table

Posted to rec.woodworking

What's the benefit to wiring it for 220V? Can all induction motors be
wired for 220V?

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
gw

wrote in message
ups.com...
What's the benefit to wiring it for 220V? Can all induction motors be
wired for 220V?

Mike

The motor used to bog down while cutting thick hardwoods. No more. It also
starts instantly rather than start slow and spool up to speed. The motor
housing should state if it can be wired for 220V.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

Used one in a shop I worked at. It had the 50" fence and sliding table.
Power OK (1 3/4 hp @ 110V), fence surprisingly good for what it looked like,
loved the sliding table, hated the miter gauge contraption on the sliding
table (a square lived near the saw), and the dust collection sucked (not
literally). I think they paid something like $1100 for it. (pity, another
$600 and they would have had a 3hp Unisaw). But $650 isn't bad. So glad
you didn't say you bought a Jet Stupid Saw, I mean, Super Saw.

"eric" wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought a Dewalt DW746 w/mobile base from the Newspaper. It's
about 2 years old, and in great shape. I paid $650 for it. I though
this was pretty good, was I right?

If you have one of these, do you like it?

Thanks
Ben

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob G.

.. But $650 isn't bad. So glad
you didn't say you bought a Jet Stupid Saw, I mean, Super Saw.

Just Curious...since I have owned and used (heavily) a Jet Cabinet Saw
for the last 10-15 years....

Is the "Stupid: saw that bad... ? and basically why..?

Again just curious because I have absolutely no intentions of
replacing my saw... and to be honest if I did it would be another
Cabinet saw. .

Bob G..

Posted to rec.woodworking
Eric Berning

eric wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...

I just bought a Dewalt DW746 w/mobile base from the Newspaper. It's
about 2 years old, and in great shape. I paid $650 for it. I though
this was pretty good, was I right?

If you have one of these, do you like it?

Thanks
Ben

I agree with most of the above. I have the DW746, and have over time
added the sliding table (mine was flat), and the 52" rails. The table
mitre does have too much flex in it, but I've just lived with it.
Which Incra did you add?
Also, not as easy to fasten a jig to the fence as some others. But
overall, I really like it (with the WWII)
Eric
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Eric Berning, Mike wrote:
Where can I get a sliding table for the 746

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...746-74247-.htm