Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default Laminated plane irons?

They are made in Japan by a blacksmith, the only place I know of or can find
to buy them is from Japan Woodworker:
http://japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id=12943

I am not experienced with these, but as much as I have read I know that the
blue steel is superior, easy to sharpen and that edge lasts long.

There is also A-2 steel blades made by Hock Tools, Lie-Nielson and Veritas
(http://www.leevalley.com/).

A-2 is known for holding an edge a very long time, very tough, but it is also
hard to sharpen and can't quite attain as sharp an edge as high carbon steel,
the latter of the two is what I prefer most, as long as a whole blade will last
anyway.

With the Japanese laminated blades, what I dislike is the thickness of 5/64".

Hock HCS is superior and thicker, RC 62, and easy to sharpen a serious edge:
http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/ http://www.hocktools.com/

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com