Posted to rec.woodworking
Jimmy

Default outside box

I need to make a box for the paper person to leave the paper in. I was
wondering what would be the best kind of wood, joints (finger, dovetail,
whatever) and finish. Nothing too fancy, just need to keep the paper dry.
They charge the paper person 32cents for a cheap plastic bag to put the
paper in. She folds over the top but it still gets wet. A box would benefit
us both. Any suggestions ?

Thanx

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Jimmy wrote:
I need to make a box for the paper person to leave the paper in. I was
wondering what would be the best kind of wood, joints (finger, dovetail,
whatever) and finish. Nothing too fancy, just need to keep the paper dry.
They charge the paper person 32cents for a cheap plastic bag to put the
paper in. She folds over the top but it still gets wet. A box would benefit
us both. Any suggestions ?

Thanx

Dovetails..."nothing fancy"?? What's wrong with this picture? g

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jimmy

"David" wrote in message
news
Jimmy wrote:
I need to make a box for the paper person to leave the paper in. I was
wondering what would be the best kind of wood, joints (finger, dovetail,
whatever) and finish. Nothing too fancy, just need to keep the paper dry.
They charge the paper person 32cents for a cheap plastic bag to put the
paper in. She folds over the top but it still gets wet. A box would
benefit us both. Any suggestions ?

Thanx

Dovetails..."nothing fancy"?? What's wrong with this picture? g

Dave

yeah, a little over kill

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 01:57:30 GMT, "Jimmy"
wrote:

I need to make a box for the paper person to leave the paper in. I was
wondering what would be the best kind of wood, joints (finger, dovetail,
whatever) and finish. Nothing too fancy, just need to keep the paper dry.
They charge the paper person 32cents for a cheap plastic bag to put the
paper in. She folds over the top but it still gets wet. A box would benefit
us both. Any suggestions ?

Thanx

These are good "outdoor" woods: redwood, cedar, cypress, teak, white
oak. Finger joints with waterproof wood glue should be adequate.
Prime and paint for longevity.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Jimmy wrote:

I need to make a box for the paper person to leave the paper in. I
was wondering what would be the best kind of wood, joints (finger,
dovetail, whatever) and finish. Nothing too fancy, just need to
keep the paper dry. They charge the paper person 32cents for a
cheap plastic bag to put the paper in. She folds over the top but
it still gets wet. A box would benefit us both. Any suggestions ?

Go to Home Depot and buy one?

Go to Home Depot, find one you like and make one just like it?

Let your paper dry out a bit before you read it?

Put a hard smack on your paper person and tell her you want your
mother ****in paper mother ****in DRY! (sorry, just got done watching
a Tarantino flick and I'm a little jacked up ;-)

Joe Barta

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 01:57:30 GMT, "Jimmy" wrote:

I need to make a box for the paper person to leave the paper in. I was
wondering what would be the best kind of wood,

Exterior grade plywood.

Otherwise a resinous softwood - larch lasts well outdoors (locally cheap
for me) eastern red cedar would work too.

joints (finger, dovetail, whatever)

If you're using ply, then biscuit joints.

If you're using timber, then I'd make an internal frame (probably with
screwed half-laps) and then nail horizontal shiplap weatherboards over
the outside. If I needed a stronger lid, then I'd make a rectangular
frame with bridle joints (easier to cut then tenons, stiffer than half
laps) and then panel inside this with more shiplap boards. This needs a
good slope on the lid though if it's not leak. If it has to be a shallow
slope, then tongue and groove them.

Assume that any exterior timber will warp like crazy, so design the
joinery accordingly.

and finish.

Paint. Always easier and longer lasting for outdoor use.

For softwood, then maybe one of the proprietary "garden woodwork"
coloured finishes.

Make sure there's good drainage and leave some holes in the base, just
in case the lid gets left open.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Jimmy" wrote in message
om...
I need to make a box for the paper person to leave the paper in. I was
wondering what would be the best kind of wood, joints (finger, dovetail,
whatever) and finish. Nothing too fancy, just need to keep the paper dry.
They charge the paper person 32cents for a cheap plastic bag to put the
paper in. She folds over the top but it still gets wet. A box would benefit
us both. Any suggestions ?

Thanx

Get a couple of Cedar fence pickets and glue it together with butt joints.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 04:02:51 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

If you're using timber, then I'd make an internal frame (probably with
screwed half-laps) and then nail horizontal shiplap weatherboards over
the outside. If I needed a stronger lid, then I'd make a rectangular
frame with bridle joints (easier to cut then tenons, stiffer than half
laps) and then panel inside this with more shiplap boards. This needs a
good slope on the lid though if it's not leak. If it has to be a shallow
slope, then tongue and groove them.

Jesus, how big are your papers in the uk that you can't make a box big
enough for them from one board?

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

Jimmy wrote:
I need to make a box for the paper person to leave the paper in. I was
wondering what would be the best kind of wood, joints (finger, dovetail,
whatever) and finish. Nothing too fancy, just need to keep the paper dry.
They charge the paper person 32cents for a cheap plastic bag to put the
paper in. She folds over the top but it still gets wet. A box would benefit
us both. Any suggestions ?

Thanx

a piece of polypipe would do the trick
Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Jimmy wrote:
I need to make a box for the paper person to leave the paper in. I was
wondering what would be the best kind of wood, joints (finger, dovetail,
whatever) and finish. Nothing too fancy, just need to keep the paper dry.
They charge the paper person 32cents for a cheap plastic bag to put the
paper in. She folds over the top but it still gets wet. A box would benefit
us both. Any suggestions ?

Thanx

Plastic box, shoe box size?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Jimmy" wrote:

Any suggestions ?

Since nobody else mentioned it... MDO. Medium Density Overlay. A plywood
product with resin-impregnated paper facings - very much like Formica
but without the plastic color top layer. Many of the highway road signs,
that aren't metal, are made with MDO. It holds paint very well and is
extremely durable in exterior applications.

I used it for some large, 1'x3' caps on either side of our entry porch
steps. These surfaces are oriented parallel to the ground and get no
rain or sun protection. Primed then painted with Ace exterior latex and
they look as good today as they did back in '99 when I built them.

MDO comes in 1-sided or 2-sided overlay - would likely recommend 1/2"
thickness. My local (town of 18,500 pop.) building lumber yard carries
the stuff so shouldn't be difficult to find where ever you are.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message
Leuf
wrote:

Jesus, how big are your papers in the uk that you can't make a box big
enough for them from one board?

-Leuf

You have to make it big enough to hit from a car window at about 30MPH
around here. They are lucky to hit the driveway.

Except when you're walking, pre-dawn, and the SOB just misses you with the 5
pound Sunday edition, from behind.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:37:28 -0500, Leuf
wrote:

Jesus, how big are your papers in the uk that you can't make a box big
enough for them from one board?

Our papers are tiny. I did once buy a weekend NY Times, just to see the
infamous behemoth for real.

If you're using larch though, it's very prone to twisting. You need a
multiple-board / framed design to keep this under control. For
panelling the sides, then I'm normally using up scrap trimmings from big
timber framing jobs. I have access to an inexhaustible supply of larch,
so long as it's under 3" a side.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message
news
I used it for some large, 1'x3' caps on either side of our entry porch
steps. These surfaces are oriented parallel to the ground and get no
rain or sun protection. Primed then painted with Ace exterior latex and
they look as good today as they did back in '99 when I built them.

MDO comes in 1-sided or 2-sided overlay - would likely recommend 1/2"
thickness. My local (town of 18,500 pop.) building lumber yard carries
the stuff so shouldn't be difficult to find where ever you are.

Good suggestion but if he does not have any on hand he will have to buy a
full sheet. In Houston that is $50+.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Jimmy wrote:
I need to make a box for the paper person to leave the paper in. I was
wondering what would be the best kind of wood, joints (finger,
dovetail, whatever) and finish. Nothing too fancy, just need to keep
the paper dry. They charge the paper person 32cents for a cheap
plastic bag to put the paper in. She folds over the top but it still
gets wet. A box would benefit us both. Any suggestions ?

Thanx

Exterior plywood. Nail/glue togetherwith top over sides. Paint.

32cents? Each? I want the plastic bag concession.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

: wrote:
:
[...]

And avoid any "levelness" of any surfaces; encourage any water to
run off. Doesn't take a lot of slope, just a little.

Pop

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 04:53:14 GMT, Jimmy wrote:
I need to make a box for the paper person to leave the paper in. I was
wondering what would be the best kind of wood, joints (finger, dovetail,
whatever) and finish. Nothing too fancy, just need to keep the paper dry.
They charge the paper person 32cents for a cheap plastic bag to put the
paper in. She folds over the top but it still gets wet. A box would benefit
us both. Any suggestions ?

I just picked up 500 2-mil poly bags for my products, total cost
including postage was $47. When I received them, I found that they
were made in Taiwan. 1 or 1.5-mil poly bags for newspapers can be
had for $25-40 per THOUSAND over here for 8x18". Your newspaper guy
needs to source his bags elsewhere.

I use these guys for various items:
www.uline.com
www.saket.com

I Googled "google UK" and found these "over there":
http://www.polybags.co.uk/ (Man, who designed THAT site? Eek!)
12x18x120gauge, 1,000 for £31.16

-
DANCING: The vertical frustration of a horizontal desire.
http://diversify.com Full Service Web Programming
Posted to rec.woodworking
Connor Aston

Read the online edition instead?
No messy papers, not crap plastic bags, saving on trees, wood to make the
box, ink, tyre rubber for the delivery boy, dangerous road conditions for
the cyclist. Hey you are all really selfish getting papers delivered . . .
..

I need to make a box for the paper person to leave the paper in. I was
wondering what would be the best kind of wood, joints (finger,
dovetail,
whatever) and finish. Nothing too fancy, just need to keep the paper
dry.
They charge the paper person 32cents for a cheap plastic bag to put the
paper in. She folds over the top but it still gets wet. A box would
benefit us both. Any suggestions ?

--
http://www.connoraston.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Connor Aston wrote:
Read the online edition instead?
No messy papers, not crap plastic bags, saving on trees, wood to make
the box, ink, tyre rubber for the delivery boy, dangerous road
conditions for the cyclist. Hey you are all really selfish getting
papers delivered . . .

Ever read the online edition in the crapper?

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"B a r r y" wrote in message
Connor Aston wrote:
Read the online edition instead?
No messy papers, not crap plastic bags, saving on trees, wood to make
the box, ink, tyre rubber for the delivery boy, dangerous road
conditions for the cyclist. Hey you are all really selfish getting
papers delivered . . .

Ever read the online edition in the crapper?

Ummmmm... yeah - doesn't everybody? Well, OK, not the on-line edition of
the NYT, but plenty of other stuff. The only bad part is you cannot tear
out a page to wipe.
--

-Mike-