Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default K3, padauk, purple heart, 4x4 cherry

A downright ****ty sloppy wet snow crap day. My delivery was delayed by another
day, so no countertop duty for me today.
I had called my wood supplier last week to put aside a piece of 8/4 cherry for
this coffee table I'm making for my daughter.

I get to Andy's place of business, woodstove is on, so is the coffee.
He showed me the piece he dug up for me. It measures 3x3 x 69. Perfect.
I pulled out some 4/4 boards, chose a couple and then came eye-to-eye with a 15"
x 48" slab of Purple Heart. Flawless. I had to have it. NO idea what for.
Then he showed me a piece of Padauk. Had to have it too. I have built stuff out
of Padauk before and I really enjoyed the results.
In some parts of the world they use Padauk to build shipping crates. *shrugs*
Then, on my way home, I decided to stop by Nick's ( http://www.nicks.ca/ ) to
see what's new there. He had the Kreg K3 for sale. Bought it on Leon's
recommendation. That tool has evolved since the original.

Not a gloat per se (the lumber cost me $100, quite reasonable, but not gloating
grade) but I sure felt good today.

Wood is more fun than tools. But it is wonderful to work nice wood with good
tools.

Now...what to make from that Purple Heart.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Robatoy" wrote in message
A downright ****ty sloppy wet snow crap day. My delivery was delayed by
another
day, so no countertop duty for me today.

Darn, I hate it when that happens. Otherwise I had to put up with blue skys
and temps in the 70's F. So I washed my wife's car.

I had called my wood supplier last week to put aside a piece of 8/4 cherry
for
this coffee table I'm making for my daughter.

I get to Andy's place of business, woodstove is on, so is the coffee.
He showed me the piece he dug up for me. It measures 3x3 x 69. Perfect.
I pulled out some 4/4 boards, chose a couple and then came eye-to-eye with
a 15"
x 48" slab of Purple Heart. Flawless. I had to have it. NO idea what for.
Then he showed me a piece of Padauk. Had to have it too. I have built
stuff out
of Padauk before and I really enjoyed the results.

Padauk is a cool wood. Several years ago I built a coffee table with
Padauk, Cocobolo and Walnut.

In some parts of the world they use Padauk to build shipping crates.
*shrugs*
Then, on my way home, I decided to stop by Nick's ( http://www.nicks.ca/ )
see what's new there. He had the Kreg K3 for sale. Bought it on Leon's
recommendation. That tool has evolved since the original.

Oh NO!.... did you not see my latest post on the K3???? ;~) I still love
it. I REALLY like the handle on the front.

Not a gloat per se (the lumber cost me $100, quite reasonable, but not
gloating
grade) but I sure felt good today.

You might as well come on down to Houston and lets go to Woodcraft. They
have a piece of Bubinga set out for you. Swingman turned it down. IIRC 2"
thick, about 30" wide and about 42" long. $980.00 U.S.

Wood is more fun than tools. But it is wonderful to work nice wood with
good
tools.

It certainly is. IIRC you have been recommending the Festool ROS sander.
Rotex? Anyway, Rumpty was persuaded to look at the Festool plunge circle
saw and bought one. Unfortunately he has been under the weather and has
not been able to try it out and give us a report. Lets all hope he gets
well real soon. He e-mailed me with the site to another Festool MUST HAVE
tool. Apparently not available yet but will probably be a big hit. Sort of
a Plate Joiner," Biscuit Joiner", hole driller for dowels, mortise driller
for Dominoes?

Check this out. Thanks Rumpty. I hope it is not too expensive.

http://www.festool.net/artikel/artik...ten.cfm?id=121

Now...what to make from that Purple Heart.

I wonder how the contrast would look if you used Yellow Heart with what ever
you build?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

[misc. snippage]
Padauk is a cool wood. Several years ago I built a coffee table with
Padauk, Cocobolo and Walnut.

I think I might build one of those long skinny hallway type tables. That
way, I could hang a painting over it without people (me) walking into it.
I could use a variety of woods on one piece of furniture.

You might as well come on down to Houston and lets go to Woodcraft. They
have a piece of Bubinga set out for you. Swingman turned it down. IIRC 2"
thick, about 30" wide and about 42" long. $980.00 U.S.

You'd want to pre-sell something like that...or like it enough for your
own use. I'm sure there is a piece of wood out there that would make me
drop that kind of money.

[snip]
IIRC you have been recommending the Festool ROS sander.
Rotex?

Oh yea. I sure got to like that thing..a lot. It is in a class by
itself. They paid a lot of attention to the design. It is the one to
beat. I was a dyed-in-the-wool Fein fan. It is still a good sander. But
that Rotex 150...what can I say...there is no equal.

Anyway, Rumpty was persuaded to look at the Festool plunge circle
saw and bought one. Unfortunately he has been under the weather and has
not been able to try it out and give us a report. Lets all hope he gets
well real soon. He e-mailed me with the site to another Festool MUST HAVE
tool. Apparently not available yet but will probably be a big hit. Sort of
a Plate Joiner," Biscuit Joiner", hole driller for dowels, mortise driller
for Dominoes?

Check this out. Thanks Rumpty. I hope it is not too expensive.

Everything is either 500 or 750 dollars. I hope Rumpty gets well soon
and I, for one, miss his RAS-ze-mataz.

http://www.festool.net/artikel/artik...ten.cfm?id=121

*Giddy-type laughter*...those fargin' crazy bastishes. Yup.. leave it
Festool. That tool makes WAY too much sense. Sign me up.

Now...what to make from that Purple Heart.

I wonder how the contrast would look if you used Yellow Heart with what ever
you build?

NO idea what Yellow Heart looks like.... I'll Google me some images.
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:24:28 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

Now...what to make from that Purple Heart.

Something for Valentine's day??

I turned a small purple heart bowl a few months ago... asked the wife if it
could be sold and she said something about "prying it from her cold, dead
hands"...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:24:28 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Robatoy quickly quoth:

A downright ****ty sloppy wet snow crap day. My delivery was delayed by another
day, so no countertop duty for me today.

They've got you waiting tables instead, huh?

I had called my wood supplier last week to put aside a piece of 8/4 cherry for
this coffee table I'm making for my daughter.

I get to Andy's place of business, woodstove is on, so is the coffee.
He showed me the piece he dug up for me. It measures 3x3 x 69. Perfect.

Who are you going to impale with it once it becomes a nice pointy
stick, Rob?

Now...what to make from that Purple Heart.

That might make a nice hallway or garden bench seat/top.

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:23:58 -0800, mac davis wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:24:28 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

Now...what to make from that Purple Heart.

Something for Valentine's day??

I turned a small purple heart bowl a few months ago... asked the wife if it
could be sold and she said something about "prying it from her cold, dead
hands"...

Well, could it be sold? How much? ;-)

--
Keith

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

"Leon" wrote in message
.. .

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Now...what to make from that Purple Heart.

I wonder how the contrast would look if you used Yellow Heart with what

ever
you build?

Can you say "Minnesota Vikings"?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Max Mahanke" wrote in message
ink.net...

I wonder how the contrast would look if you used Yellow Heart with what

ever
you build?

Can you say "Minnesota Vikings"?

I was thinking when I posted that question, Miller High School in Corpus
Christi, TX.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:30:18 -0500, Keith wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:23:58 -0800, mac davis wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:24:28 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

Now...what to make from that Purple Heart.

Something for Valentine's day??

I turned a small purple heart bowl a few months ago... asked the wife if it
could be sold and she said something about "prying it from her cold, dead
hands"...

Well, could it be sold? How much? ;-)

I was offered $30... not bad for a 5" diameter bowl..

Replacing the wife would be much more expensive...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
O D

I made a candy bowl last month with a piece of walnut on the bottom then
a 8/4 piece of paduak and then 4/4 maple on top. All turned out fine but
when I went to put the wipe poly on the paduak wanted to bleed over to
the maple. Managed to get it corrected but there must be another way
that is not as time consuming. Made many projects with paduak but never
with another wood glued to it.