Posted to rec.woodworking
Cam

Default Huntsville Wood Sources?

I recently moved to Huntsville, AL and finally have my own shop
(gleeful cackle)! Now where to get good wood?

I'm looking for the following in the near term:

- Rough-sawn hard maple (I realize this isn't maple country, but it's
me favorite!)
- Maple-veneer plywood (3/4")
- Baltic birch plywood (all sizes)

Anyone know of sources in or around the Huntsville area?

Many thanks!

Cam

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor

On 16 Jan 2006 17:00:46 -0800, "Cam" wrote:

I recently moved to Huntsville, AL and finally have my own shop
(gleeful cackle)! Now where to get good wood?

I'm looking for the following in the near term:

- Rough-sawn hard maple (I realize this isn't maple country, but it's
me favorite!)
- Maple-veneer plywood (3/4")
- Baltic birch plywood (all sizes)

Anyone know of sources in or around the Huntsville area?

Many thanks!

Cam

Hardwood sources are difficult to find in Huntsville proper.

I like Tennessee Valley Wood Products, 600 Main Street in Huntland,
TN, (800) 292-9085. They sell several varieties of domestic hardwood
lumber and veneer plywood. Most of the lumber is S2S, either 13/16 or
15/16. I bought some hard maple from them shortly before Christmas
for $3.30/bf. Huntland is about an hour's drive up Winchester Road
from Huntsville.

H&K Sawmill on Nick Davis Road (I think) near the Limestone County
prison is a one-man operation, open only on Saturdays. He cuts,
dries, and sells locally-available varieties. He normally has poplar,
cherry, walnut, red oak, and some others, all rough. I've never been
looking for maple when I've gone there and don't recall seeing any,
but that doesn't mean he doesn't have any. Unfortunately I don't have
any contact information; I just know where to find the place.

Hardwood Center in Scottsboro (URL:http://www.hardwoodcenter.com/)
sells several domestic and exotic varieties, mostly if not all S2S. I
bought walnut there quite a while ago and found it rather pricey, but
it's probably worth your while to take a look for yourself or at least
give them a call.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/