Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodshop in my Basement

I have a 2 story house with a unfinished basement. I am thinkning about
putting my wood shop in the basement, 2 questions, any advice on this?
Also how good are dust collectors??

Thanks
Chad

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 2 story house with a unfinished basement. I am thinkning about
putting my wood shop in the basement, 2 questions, any advice on this?
Also how good are dust collectors??

So's mine.

Control the humidity, use partitions and your dust collector to keep it neat
enough for the spouse. Leave your shop shoes and smock outside the door.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dr-whoopie

my living-room 16x16 is on the main floor but 2 feet below the rest

so in my basement 8 feet high except for that 16x16 area wich is actually
6,6 high (good cause i am 6,3 tall)i closed up some walls installed a
de-humidifier + vaccum system insolated & sound-proofed the ceilling & walls
painted the cement floor grey and instaled some rubber mats

i sometimes get little traces of dust in the hall way due to walking out of
workshop without cleaning my shoes first (bad habit) good thing i have my
wife to remind me,,, (nag nag nag)

over all i have no problems with a in-house workshop

she also nag's me about buying tools so i tell her every projects needs a
new tool ( why is that she say's) well sweatheart no 2 projects are the same
hehehe

i have lots of tools,i started buying tools about 5yrs ago cause i knew
woodworking was for me i have a love for wood.router station,table saw/band
saw/drill press/mortiser/miter saw/grinder station/spindle sander/belt
sander/ + many other hand held tools

its not always easy to handle a 4x8 plywood in my 16x16 area

i been doing some learn has you go projects but never anything to be proud
of so i decided to enroll in a beginner woodworking class that starts in
febuary i cant wait

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 2 story house with a unfinished basement. I am thinkning about
putting my wood shop in the basement, 2 questions, any advice on this?
Also how good are dust collectors??

Thanks
Chad

Posted to rec.woodworking
Searcher

I had my shop in the basement for two years. Along with a good dust
collector and a WET/DRY vac I had no problems, Until that is we bought a new
house. Lugging all that stuff up and out of the basement was horrendous. I
had a few dust issues and I had the urge to finish my projects no matter
what, this included staining and the fumes were a bit of a bother once they
permeated the house. I found a way to combat this by building a wooden box
and installing a spare dryer blower inside it. The bottome of the "box" was
open with a filter. I had an exhaust vent running into the dryer exhaust
which in turn would vent the odor out of the house. My wife thought it was
ingenious and I racked up more brownie points. The only problem that I could
not find a solution to was the noise of the tools.

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

If you have a hot air furnace or central air do your best to block this off
from your shop and provide your own shop heat/air conditioning. If you don't
you will have sawdust everywhere in the house and she will forbid you from
using your shop. Mine is now in a separate building.

--
Charley

"George" George@least wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 2 story house with a unfinished basement. I am thinkning about
putting my wood shop in the basement, 2 questions, any advice on this?
Also how good are dust collectors??

So's mine.

Control the humidity, use partitions and your dust collector to keep it

neat
enough for the spouse. Leave your shop shoes and smock outside the door.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

wrote in message
oups.com...
:I have a 2 story house with a unfinished basement. I am
thinkning about
: putting my wood shop in the basement, 2 questions, any advice
on this?
: Also how good are dust collectors??
:
: Thanks
: Chad
:
Good points from all the other posters; I'd like to add:
-- Be sure you can get whatever you build, OUT of the basement.
I'll never forget my daughter's bed: I built one for my son,
did all the calcs, it went out OK. Couple years later, did my
daughter's, used the same plans 'cause I knew it'd fit to get it
out. But ... I added a little trim here & there - couldn't get
it out!! Disassembly wasn't an option - glued & screwed, a near
perfect finish. I eneded up cutting it in half with a good,
expensive ply saw and carted it up that way, added a little more
"trim" to the cut lines, and thank gosh it worked. But I've
never forgotten that! Luckily, I had feet in the center of the
bed too, so the extra blocking etc. inside wasn't too hard to do.
They're those kind with headboard, footboard, all with shelves
but detachable, and 14 drawers, 7 to a side. Grandkids use the
beds now!

HTH,

Pop

--
---
No, I won't get dressed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
julvr

I haven't done this yet, but I'm planning to once I get the money and
time -- I was thinking of installing an air to air exchanger in the
woodshop to complment the dust collection. The only mod I would make
is to have a portion of the incoming air vent to into a neighbouring
room -- this would create negative air pressure in the room, and
prevent any dust from escaping into the house whatsoever. Also, it
would be very useful for paint fumes, etc.

I'd let you know how well it works, but the car broke down, and all my
money dissappeared :crybaby:

Outside of this idea, so long as you have a good dust collection
system (make sure you visit
http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm for information
on this), you shouldn't have any noticable problems. (NOTE: a
shop-vac is not sufficient as it does not filter out the fine dust
particles that you can't see, and this can be a health hazard).

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
LarryLev

wife or workshop?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charley wrote:
If you have a hot air furnace or central air do your best to block this off
from your shop and provide your own shop heat/air conditioning. If you don't
you will have sawdust everywhere in the house and she will forbid you from
using your shop. Mine is now in a separate building.

Indeed.

I just recently did a little work in the basement at
my mom's house, heated with an oil furnace. I applied
shellac by brush out in the garage and then brought the
project inside to 'finish the finish' as Bob Flexner would
say. That involved light sanding, a bit of touch-up shellac
applied with a pad, (e.g. like French Polishing) and then
rubbing off the gloss.

There are a couple of carbon monoxide detectors in the
house and they began to annunciate after I began rubbing
out the shellac with steel wool and mineral oil. We think
that some vapors from the oil entered the heat exchanger via
the cold air return where the heat broke it down producing a
little CO.

The alarms trigger on _rate_, not just level. Whenever the furnace
came on they beeped, even though the actual level stayed below
about 40 ppm. Apparently there was a rapid rise from near
zero to ~ 30 ppm or so whenever the furnace blower kicked in.

Saw/sanding dust and other solvents might do the same.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:20:32 -0800, LarryLev wrote:

wife or workshop?

If the wood complains, it goes in the out-building. ;-)

--
Keith

Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:36:30 +0000, Searcher wrote:

I had my shop in the basement for two years. Along with a good dust
collector and a WET/DRY vac I had no problems, Until that is we bought a new
house. Lugging all that stuff up and out of the basement was horrendous.

That's the situation I'm in now. I wanna buy the tools while I'm working,
but want to retire and move soon. I'd really like a cabinet saw (have some
bonus money coming that SHMBO says is mine to play), but I don't
feature moving the thing downstairs and then back out. A contractor's saw
may have to do.

I had a few dust issues and I had the urge to finish my projects no matter
what, this included staining and the fumes were a bit of a bother once
they permeated the house.

You'll have that. OTOH, she likes the looks of the woodwork and all the
rest, so a little pain isn't terrible. ;-)

I found a way to combat this by building a
wooden box and installing a spare dryer blower inside it. The bottome of
the "box" was open with a filter. I had an exhaust vent running into the
dryer exhaust which in turn would vent the odor out of the house. My
wife thought it was ingenious and I racked up more brownie points. The
only problem that I could not find a solution to was the noise of the
tools.

The noise isn't an issue here, even though the "shop" is right below the
kitchen/dining room. Venting the smell would be good, though I don't want
to take all the heat out of the house in the winter and i *surely* don't
want to suck the moisture down into the basement in the summer. Sink
happens.

--
Keith
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ranger Paul

Hey Chad,

Check out this shop planner thingy on Grizzly Tool's web site:

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

This might help,

RangerPaul

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 2 story house with a unfinished basement. I am thinkning about
putting my wood shop in the basement, 2 questions, any advice on this?
Also how good are dust collectors??

Thanks
Chad

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Haar

On 2006/1/16 11:51 PM, "Ranger Paul"
wrote:

Check out this shop planner thingy on Grizzly Tool's web site:

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

That site refuses to work for anything other than Internet Explorer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Haar

The annual Tools and Shops issue of Fine Woodworking has an article on this
subject ob designing a basement shop from the ground up as part of a new
addition. It does not have a great deal of depth but does cover the basics.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

wrote:

Check out this shop planner thingy on Grizzly Tool's web site:

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

That site refuses to work for anything other than Internet Explorer.

I just did some layout with Mozilla.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Haar

wrote:

Check out this shop planner thingy on Grizzly Tool's web site:

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

That site refuses to work for anything other than Internet Explorer.

I just did some layout with Mozilla.

I tried both Safari and Firefox. Both times, I got a screen with a message
saying that I had to use IE and a bib blank space that looked like it should
have loaded something. Maybe it just doesn't work for Macs, but the message
said I needed to to IE.

Posted to rec.woodworking
DJ Delorie

Robert Haar writes:
I tried both Safari and Firefox. Both times, I got a screen with a message
saying that I had to use IE and a bib blank space that looked like it should
have loaded something. Maybe it just doesn't work for Macs, but the message
said I needed to to IE.

Works fine in Firefox for me. Maybe you just need the right plugin
pre-installed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Haar

wrote:

Check out this shop planner thingy on Grizzly Tool's web site:

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

That site refuses to work for anything other than Internet Explorer.

Plug-in, actually.

Thanks. Adding a Macromedia Flash plug-in did allow it to run, but I still
get a warning that I need to use IE.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Fearnley

wrote:

Check out this shop planner thingy on Grizzly Tool's web site:

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

That site refuses to work for anything other than Internet Explorer.

Plug-in, actually.

Thanks. Adding a Macromedia Flash plug-in did allow it to run, but I still
get a warning that I need to use IE.

I can't make it work with Firefox plus the Macromedia plug-in using
Linux (Fedora core 4)

Jack Fearnley
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Check out this shop planner thingy on Grizzly Tool's web site:

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

That site refuses to work for anything other than Internet Explorer.

I just did some layout with Mozilla.

I tried both Safari and Firefox. Both times, I got a screen with a message
saying that I had to use IE and a bib blank space that looked like it

should
have loaded something. Maybe it just doesn't work for Macs, but the

message
said I needed to to IE.

Maybe it is a problem with the Mac version. It worked like a charm for me.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
ed_h

wrote:
I have a 2 story house with a unfinished basement. I am thinkning about
putting my wood shop in the basement, 2 questions, any advice on this?
Also how good are dust collectors??

Thanks
Chad

My wife wants me to build a detached shop, but I'm resisting. I'm now
in the 1400 SF basement. It is heated and air conditioned 24/7/365,
has telephone, cable, ethernet, hot and cold running water, a bathroom
with a shower, a walkout entrance, and is a 10 second walk from
anywhere in the house, in my underwear if I want.

Her main objections to the status quo:

Foot- and clothes-borne Dust & Shavings: Shavings and dust gets tracked
through the house and fall off my person. My solution: Try to keep
the shop floor swept. Brush myself off. Resolve to wear shoes in the
shop. Go upstairs only when summoned.

Airborne Dust: The 2 HP Grizzley gets most of it, but catching all the
fine dust from every machine is pretty tough. My solution: Do my best
to collect the dust. Try to limit long- duration dust-generating
activities, instead spreading them out to more frequent, smaller
dust-generating incidents. This reduces my culpability by making my
dust mostly disappear in the dust background noise floor.

Noise: Two or three horsepower's worth of abuse to a piece of wood can
create some pretty obxoxious noise levels. My solution: Insulate &
acoustically decouple the shop ceiling. Keep doors closed. Save the
noisest stuff for when no one else is home, or after my wife goes to
bed. Suggest the next day that maybe she dreamt it.

Odors: My wife actually says she likes the smell of some cut woods,
but it's some of the finishes, paints, and adhesives that are the
problem. My solution: Do these smelly operations outside when
possible. Otherwise, do them after she goes to bed. The odors will
normally be gone in the morning, and I can play dumb be especially
sympathetic about any headache complaints. Give waterborne finishes
and adhesives yet another chance.

On the other hand, my wife does acknowledge that accessibility (to me)
is pretty good the way it is, and she'd hate to give up the immediate
response she now enjoys in emergency situations like, say, a bug in the
sink.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On 19 Jan 2006 11:31:51 -0800, "ed_h" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The odor from finishes seems to be my biggest complaint. I have used
the garage to apply finishes.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

"ed_h" writes:

[...]

Her main objections to the status quo:

Foot- and clothes-borne Dust & Shavings: Shavings and dust gets tracked
through the house and fall off my person. My solution: Try to keep
the shop floor swept. Brush myself off. Resolve to wear shoes in the
shop. Go upstairs only when summoned.

Accustom wife to a certain amount of shavings and dust on the floor.
Point out that a detached shop adds dirt from the walk from the shop
to the house, together with rainwater dripping off you when rushing in
to throw innocent spiders to the merciless weather outside.

[...]

normally be gone in the morning, and I can play dumb be especially
sympathetic about any headache complaints. Give waterborne finishes
and adhesives yet another chance.

Use oil finishes like linseed oil (odourless) or flavoured with orange
oil (in moderation, it's no a health improver).

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23