Posted to rec.woodworking
andy

Default wall niches

does anyone have any ideas on how to build or ideas for recessed wall niches
or curved tops for recessed shelves,wood, not plastic(they cost a fortune
for what you get)nor drywall or plaster,,I am in a very limited resale
market and freight is outrageous to get anything shipped here,thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

andy wrote:
does anyone have any ideas on how to build curved tops for
recessed shelves,wood, not plastic(they cost a fortune
for what you get)nor drywall or plaster,

You'll have to segment the wood or steam bend it to get that tight
curve. I've been playing with curved architecture for a while now. I've
cut kerfs in the back of plywood to get it to bend, but it's still not
going to bend very tightly. I laminated the plywood and it looks really
good over the bar in my house. I cut the wall out and put an arch over
it. I'll post picture of it some time when I can see it, maybe after I
get my taxes done this year. You can't see the bar for all of the paper
on it now.

Another idea, I saw Norm building a chest a while back. He curved the
top by putting it together in strips and planing it and sanding until
he got the curve he wanted.

Tom in KY

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

andy wrote:
does anyone have any ideas on how to build or ideas for recessed wall niches
or curved tops for recessed shelves,wood, not plastic(they cost a fortune
for what you get)nor drywall or plaster,,I am in a very limited resale
market and freight is outrageous to get anything shipped here,thanks

By "curved top" do you mean curved moldings?

If so:

One way is to cut the curve from plywood or mdf faced with the correct
wood (say, cherry plywood) for your project, then laminating a thin,
bendable edge to each side. The edge has been previously edge shaped
with a router or shaper.

Another way is to build the sides from straight stock and cut the curve.
Fluting and edge treatments can then be routed. Edges are easy, a
bearing-guided bit will easily follow the edge. For internal fluting,
you could make a jig (sled) that holds the router in position while it
rides the inside or outside curve, or jig a router table to dow it face
down.

You could also check locally for a cabinet shop that owns a Williams &
Hussey or similar molding machine and pay them to cut it to your specs.
By using a cutter profile the shop has in stock, you'll save money.

Curve layout is easily done with a large trammel (a stick with holes
spaced appropriately apart, one for an anchor, the other for a pencil)
for constant radius curves, or a thin strip of wood held into a bow
shape with a clamp, for fair curves.

Another options include a raised or flat panel with a straight bottom
and arched top, skipping the curve altogether, or changing it to some
sort of angled design.

Have fun,
Barry

Cinder Block Retaining Wall Question [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 15th 05 06:12 PM
Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 06:22 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Dry Rock Retaining Wall RedHeadAllDay Home Repair 4 August 18th 03 02:12 PM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM