Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ

Default mathmatical formulas

Try this:

http://www.sizes.com/numbers/triangles.htm

Somewhere in here you should find what you are seeking.

--
PDQ

--
"TrailRat" wrote in message oups.com...
| If I have a piece of timber 3' long and I want to make a 45 degree cut
| so one face is 12" long, how do I work out the length of the timber if
| the final cut leaves the one side longer than the 12" origanal
| measurement?
|
| Hope that makes sense.
|
| Is there a website for all these woodworking formulas?
|
| Many Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
bc

I don't know of any website and there may be an easier way, but at
least with a 45 degree cut it's not too difficult. All you need to do
is add the width of your board to 12" and that will be the length of
the long side. This is because if you were to draw a 90 degree line
across the board from the edge of your 45 degree cut you would then
have a right triangler with the 45 degree cut being the long side, the
width of the board being one leg and the distance from the line you
drew to the far edge of the cut being the other leg. If the angle were
anything other than 45 degrees it would involve some trigonometry using
sine and cosine, but fortunately for 45 degrees it works out that both
legs are exactly equal, so since you know the width of your board you
automatically know the length of the other leg and since the distance
you are looking for is 12 " plus the length of that far leg you can now
just add the width of the board to twelve inches and that will give you
the distance you are looking for. I wish I could draw you a picture
that would make it more clear, but unfortunately I'm better with math
than I am computers. I hope this helps. Good Luck BC

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On 10 Jan 2006 07:18:52 -0800, "TrailRat"
wrote:

If I have a piece of timber 3' long and I want to make a 45 degree cut
so one face is 12" long, how do I work out the length of the timber if
the final cut leaves the one side longer than the 12" origanal
measurement?

If I am seeing what you are seeing, it depends on the width. The
additional length [added to the 12" smaller one] will be the width.
So you'll have 12 + w.

12
.. .
.. . Cut Angle = 45
.. Width .
.. .
12 + W

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Wilson

TrailRat wrote...
If I have a piece of timber 3' long and I want to make a 45 degree cut
so one face is 12" long, how do I work out the length of the timber if
the final cut leaves the one side longer than the 12" origanal
measurement?

A 45-degree triangle always has equal-length legs. So, if your timber is,
say, 3-1/2" wide with the other end cut square, then the difference
between the lengths of the two sides will be 3-1/2" inches. If both ends
of the workpiece have (opposite) 45-degree angles -- as in one edge of a
mitered picture frame -- then the outside edge will be longer than the
inside edge by twice the width of the material.

Is there a website for all these woodworking formulas?

Rather than a woodworking formulas reference, you might try looking for
one with common geometry and trigonometry formulas.

Good luck,

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"TrailRat" wrote in message
If I have a piece of timber 3' long and I want to make a 45 degree cut
so one face is 12" long, how do I work out the length of the timber if
the final cut leaves the one side longer than the 12" origanal
measurement?

Hope that makes sense.

Is there a website for all these woodworking formulas?

If I am understanding you correctly, just another viewpoint garnered from
much practical experience:

Good woodworking practice generally precludes using mathematical formula's
for this type of cut.

Just a couple of reasons are kerf waste and the fact that not all measuring
devices are created equal, so not only trial and error is generally required
for the first cut, but repeatability also becomes an issue.

The very best method is to make one initial 45 degree cut on the workpiece;
then measure and mark your desired distance from that cut on the face in
question, using your project measuring tape/ruler; then line up your saw
blade to cut to that mark, first setting a stop block in the appropriate
place on the fence for precise repeatability if required.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

TrailRat (in )
said:

| Is there a website for all these woodworking formulas?

This is just an ordinary geometry/trig problem. I've put up a web page
at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/CNC/trig.html that may help out.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The TrailRat entity posted thusly:

If I have a piece of timber 3' long and I want to make a 45 degree cut
so one face is 12" long, how do I work out the length of the timber if
the final cut leaves the one side longer than the 12" origanal
measurement?

Hope that makes sense.

The 45 degree angle becomes the diagonal of a square whose sides are
equal to the thickness or width of the board, depending on which way
you make the cut. It's a special case of the general application of
the Pythagoras Theorem. (the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the
sum of the squares on the other two sides).

Example: a board 1" by 6"

Tilt your saw blade to 45 degrees, and make a right angle cut across
the width of the board. The height of the cut is 1" (because the board
is 1 inch thick). The length of the board on one face is 1" less than
the length on the other face (because the 45 degree angle dictates
that the 'top' of the square must match the side of the square)

or:
With your saw blade vertical (90 degrees), angle the board to 45
degrees and make a cut across the width of the board. The length of
the board on one edge will be 6 inches less than the length on the
other edge.

Is there a website for all these woodworking formulas?

We don' need no steenkin' formula for this one,!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:35:18 -0600, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

This is just an ordinary geometry/trig problem. I've put up a web page
at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/CNC/trig.html that may help out.

Hmmmmm.... Textbook, but a bit overboard [a woodworking term?] for
your average woodsmith.

[You have an A in the tan(x/2) function you might want to correct.]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Guess who (in ) said:

| On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:35:18 -0600, "Morris Dovey"
| wrote:
|
|| This is just an ordinary geometry/trig problem. I've put up a web
|| page at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/CNC/trig.html that may help out.

| Hmmmmm.... Textbook, but a bit overboard [a woodworking term?] for
| your average woodsmith.

Yuppers. The page was (is) primarily intended for CNC types who didn't
get it all down in high school (I was /so/ sure that I'd never have
any use for this stuff.)

| [You have an A in the tan(x/2) function you might want to correct.]

Urk! You're absolutely right. Not only that, I just gave myself a C-
for consistancy in variable naming.

Thanks! (I'll fix it)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

On 10 Jan 2006 07:18:52 -0800, "TrailRat" wrote:

If I have a piece of timber 3' long and I want to make a 45 degree cut
so one face is 12" long, how do I work out the length of the timber if
the final cut leaves the one side longer than the 12" origanal
measurement?

Hope that makes sense.

Is there a website for all these woodworking formulas?

Many Thanks

Go here for what seems to be a major reference for just about any technical field. They have 21,000
+ calculators on line. You could spend hours and hours browsing through this site. I found it by
accident just a couple of days ago, and haven't been able to even begin to explore it all. Lots of
good info, some of it woodworking related. Heck, there are several articles on the physics of
baseball.

http://www.martindalecenter.com/

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Martin

in 1264978 20060114 051932 Roy wrote:

Go here for what seems to be a major reference for just about any technical field. They have 21,000
+ calculators on line. You could spend hours and hours browsing through this site. I found it by
accident just a couple of days ago, and haven't been able to even begin to explore it all. Lots of
good info, some of it woodworking related. Heck, there are several articles on the physics of
baseball.

http://www.martindalecenter.com/

Regards,
Roy

Brilliant - thanks very much.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Look around in second hand book shops for a copy of the Mathematical
tables from the Handbook of Chemistry. They're as common as dirt. With
one of those and a $10 scientific calculator, you can calculate
anything you want simply by reading the mensuration tables.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
TrailRat

Go here for what seems to be a major reference for just about any technical field. They have 21,000
+ calculators on line. You could spend hours and hours browsing through this site. I found it by
accident just a couple of days ago, and haven't been able to even begin to explore it all. Lots of
good info, some of it woodworking related. Heck, there are several articles on the physics of
baseball.

http://www.martindalecenter.com/

Regards,
Roy

Cool thanks for that, Neat little site.

TR

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 05:19:32 GMT, Roy wrote:

.... snip

Go here for what seems to be a major reference for just about any technical field. They have 21,000
+ calculators on line. You could spend hours and hours browsing through this site. I found it by
accident just a couple of days ago, and haven't been able to even begin to explore it all. Lots of
good info, some of it woodworking related. Heck, there are several articles on the physics of
baseball.

http://www.martindalecenter.com/

Thanks for the post. That one's been bookmarked.

Stucco Formula's philly Home Repair 2 January 8th 05 08:59 PM
The Golden Rectangle and other eye pleasing formulas. Gino Woodworking 9 December 20th 04 01:40 AM
Pitch diameter formulas for external vs internal threads Richard J Kinch Metalworking 2 December 14th 04 11:14 PM