Posted to rec.woodworking
WConner

Default Anyone Here weld his own Bandsaw?

Do you or anyone you know weld their own bandsaw blades, why not share
your
experienced here, the pro and con? Thanks.

I tried it but gave up.

Walt Conner

Posted to rec.woodworking
Xopher

"WConner" wrote in message

Do you or anyone you know weld their own bandsaw blades, why not share
your
experienced here, the pro and con? Thanks.

I tried it but gave up.

Walt Conner

I have welded many blades for my grandfather's friends. Here is what I do
in our shop. First of all I ignore the comments directed to my youth by
Grandpa's friends. I use a simple set up - an Oxy/MAPP to torch to do the
brazing. I grind a bevel on both of the edges to make a good lap joint. I
use jig that I made that has a cut out flange in the middle to hold
everything nice and tight and straight. I then use c clamps to put the
joint over the cut out. It is not too hard to judge the overlap. A good
overlap will cut down on the amount of grinding you might have to do. I
then just braze the blade together. I finish it off by annealing the blade.
None of my welds have failed, the blades have come back broken in other
places.

Take Care,
Xopher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:09:40 -0600, "Xopher"
wrote:

I have welded many blades for my grandfather's friends.

an Oxy/MAPP to torch to do the brazing.

So how are you joining the blades? Welding or brazing?