Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default TOY TOP

http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/moneyproject3.htm

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear".
What do you "know"?
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:18:23 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/moneyproject3.htm

A lot of memories: Not quite as much fun as the ones I used as a kid
[many years back], and which I turned for the neighbourhood kids one
summer. Keeps them busy for hours.

Style #1: like a beehive: flat top.
Style #2: round, but like a T edge-on with the top part rounded on the
edge.

A round-head nail in the bottom.

Each had a whip made from 3/8" dowel with a legth of leather thong.
The thong is wrapped several times around. Hand on the top to hold it
steady, then one sharp tug. Keep it going by whipping. The T one was
called a dancer because it jumped around more than the heavier beehive
one. Much effort went into colouring the tops with chalk, and
watching colours blend. Nothing wore us out. We had strap-on cheap
roller skates, an old bike, and played soccer and ran .... great days,
even if poor after the war.