Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe O

Default Pry bar....

I'm in need of a little assistance locating a specific mini pry bar. It
is almost an exact duplicate of the 14 inch Stanley Wonder Bay, only 8
inches long. It is about an inch and a half wide at it's widest (the
head) and is maybe an inch and a quarter at the handle. I've tried the
7.5 inch Stanley Wonder Bar 2 and it's not near tough enough for my use,
and in many cases the large Wonder Bar is a bit to big. I feel like
I've been around the earth with pry bars and really want the one someone
else wanted to have more than me.

I do wood floors for a living and I just can't find this bar out there.
I could have sworn it was a Roughneck, but it's not on their web site.
A few months back I stumbled on a site that had them for sale and
didn't bookmark it. I can't find it locally anywhere I've been.

I'd be grateful if someone out there has any ideas.
Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG

Joe,
I have no idea if this is the one you're after, but I own a couple
of these and would highly recommend them:
http://www.craintools.com/fs-tear-outtools.html
scroll down to NO. 157
these are great little bars and I have never hurt one.

Another bar I like for working with trim is this one:
http://www.hydetools.com/data/detail.asp?SKU=45600
These are not as strong a bar and can be bent, but they are
thinner and sharper. I often use it more as a heavy scraper.

both bars are made by other companies, but I knew these brands and
was able to find pictures.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Joe O" wrote in message
I'm in need of a little assistance locating a specific mini pry
bar. It is almost an exact duplicate of the 14 inch Stanley
Wonder Bay, only 8 inches long. It is about an inch and a half
wide at it's widest (the head) and is maybe an inch and a
quarter at the handle. I've tried the 7.5 inch Stanley Wonder
Bar 2 and it's not near tough enough for my use, and in many
cases the large Wonder Bar is a bit to big. I feel like I've
been around the earth with pry bars and really want the one
someone else wanted to have more than me.

I do wood floors for a living and I just can't find this bar out
there. I could have sworn it was a Roughneck, but it's not on
their web site. A few months back I stumbled on a site that had
them for sale and didn't bookmark it. I can't find it locally
anywhere I've been.

I'd be grateful if someone out there has any ideas.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:26:47 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

Joe,
I have no idea if this is the one you're after, but I own a couple
of these and would highly recommend them:
http://www.craintools.com/fs-tear-outtools.html
scroll down to NO. 157
these are great little bars and I have never hurt one.

Another bar I like for working with trim is this one:
http://www.hydetools.com/data/detail.asp?SKU=45600
These are not as strong a bar and can be bent, but they are
thinner and sharper. I often use it more as a heavy scraper.

both bars are made by other companies, but I knew these brands and
was able to find pictures.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

I have to second the Hyde bar. Works really well on small pieces or delicate work. I don't have
one, but SWMBO does. Been known to borrow it when things were too small to wrench on with my
Stanley, or a full size wrecking bar.

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe O

Actually, I have both the Hyde and the Crain, too. They're both great
tools and I use them often. The biggest thing I need the pry bar in
question for is that I can sharpen it to almost razor sharp in a way
that retains it's strength and utilizes it's width so as not to damage
any areas of base shoe (and/or quarter round), baseboard, door casings,
etc. I spend almost all of my time in new high end condo's installing
floors and (unfortunately) fixing other installers screw ups. These
homeowners and GC's are pretty picky and I can get into more than I
bargained for when I give them a price if I damage good items as I'm
taking them out. Making it worst, much of the trim is American Cherry
and Maple. Oh.....I long for the old days of Oak sometimes.

So.....The bar in question is what I'm hoping to find. I guess they
all serve a certain purpose - and maybe it's more related to how I use
it than anything.

Keep those thinkin' hats on, folks.....

Roy wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Preston Andreas

Not sure what you are looking for but I am partial to these -
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...14&cat=1,43456
They have a wide thin tip to keep from damaging moldings and they are tough.

Preston

"Joe O" wrote in message
I'm in need of a little assistance locating a specific mini pry bar. It
is almost an exact duplicate of the 14 inch Stanley Wonder Bay, only 8
inches long. It is about an inch and a half wide at it's widest (the
head) and is maybe an inch and a quarter at the handle. I've tried the
7.5 inch Stanley Wonder Bar 2 and it's not near tough enough for my use,
and in many cases the large Wonder Bar is a bit to big. I feel like
I've been around the earth with pry bars and really want the one someone
else wanted to have more than me.

I do wood floors for a living and I just can't find this bar out there.
I could have sworn it was a Roughneck, but it's not on their web site.
A few months back I stumbled on a site that had them for sale and
didn't bookmark it. I can't find it locally anywhere I've been.

I'd be grateful if someone out there has any ideas.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 20:26:36 -0600, Joe O
wrote:

I'm in need of a little assistance locating a specific mini pry bar.

Or if you want _tiny_ prybars
http://www.phlaunt.com/atwoodknives/