Posted to rec.woodworking
Jimmy

Default Dewalt 17" ras pics

I posted a couple of pics of the 17"ras that runs on120v. on abpw.
Must be pretty old, but seems to cut fine. Worth $200? He's in no hurry to
sell it, but does not use it much at all anymore.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Jimmy" wrote in message
om...
I posted a couple of pics of the 17"ras that runs on120v. on abpw.
Must be pretty old, but seems to cut fine. Worth $200? He's in no hurry to
sell it, but does not use it much at all anymore.

I can't get abpw, but I will trust you that it is lovely.
How many amps is the motor?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg O

"Jimmy" wrote in message
om...
I posted a couple of pics of the 17"ras that runs on120v. on abpw.
Must be pretty old, but seems to cut fine. Worth $200? He's in no hurry to
sell it, but does not use it much at all anymore.

Looked like a 10" B&D to me!
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jimmy

"Greg O" wrote in message
"Jimmy" wrote in message
om...
I posted a couple of pics of the 17"ras that runs on120v. on abpw.
Must be pretty old, but seems to cut fine. Worth $200? He's in no hurry
to sell it, but does not use it much at all anymore.

Looked like a 10" B&D to me!
Greg

Sorry, I mean 10 inch blade, 17" carriage travel. It's a 12 amp motor, no hp
rating.It's a DeWalt B&D saw. Never heard of a 17" blade ras.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Jimmy wrote:
"Greg O" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
.com...

I posted a couple of pics of the 17"ras that runs on120v. on abpw.
Must be pretty old, but seems to cut fine. Worth $200? He's in no hurry
to sell it, but does not use it much at all anymore.

Looked like a 10" B&D to me!
Greg

Sorry, I mean 10 inch blade, 17" carriage travel. It's a 12 amp motor, no hp
rating.It's a DeWalt B&D saw. Never heard of a 17" blade ras.

Yeah, well saws are categorized by the diameter of
the blade, not the travel distance or the distance
from one edge of the table to the saw blade,
although those measurements may be important to
the buyer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Jimmy wrote:
"Greg O" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
y.com...

I posted a couple of pics of the 17"ras that runs on120v. on abpw.
Must be pretty old, but seems to cut fine. Worth $200? He's in no hurry
to sell it, but does not use it much at all anymore.

Looked like a 10" B&D to me!
Greg

Sorry, I mean 10 inch blade, 17" carriage travel. It's a 12 amp motor, no
hp rating.It's a DeWalt B&D saw. Never heard of a 17" blade ras.

Yeah, well saws are categorized by the diameter of the blade, not the
travel distance or the distance from one edge of the table to the saw
blade, although those measurements may be important to the buyer.

Yes. I'm not sure I'd pay $200 for this saw unless it was in super
condition, considering its age. The pictures didn't tell much about that.
There's more cast iron there then you'll find in newer saws, but the
opportunities for excessive wear have been greater, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

"Jimmy" wrote in message
om...
It's a DeWalt B&D saw. Never heard of a 17" blade ras.

No, it's a Black and Decker. Dewalt was never involved.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jimmy

"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jimmy" wrote in message
om...
It's a DeWalt B&D saw. Never heard of a 17" blade ras.

No, it's a Black and Decker. Dewalt was never involved.

More pics on abpw that show otherwise, on the side it says DeWalt Power
Shop, on the front it says B&D Power Shop. I'm confused. When did B&D buy
DeWalt?

Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

Jimmy wrote:
"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jimmy" wrote in message
.com...
It's a DeWalt B&D saw. Never heard of a 17" blade ras.

No, it's a Black and Decker. Dewalt was never involved.

More pics on abpw that show otherwise, on the side it says DeWalt Power
Shop, on the front it says B&D Power Shop. I'm confused. When did B&D buy
DeWalt?

In 1960.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Custom...formation.aspx

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

I was under the impression that it was more recent than that. I have never
seen an older saw marked like that.

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message
Jimmy wrote:
"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jimmy" wrote in message
.com...
It's a DeWalt B&D saw. Never heard of a 17" blade ras.

No, it's a Black and Decker. Dewalt was never involved.

More pics on abpw that show otherwise, on the side it says DeWalt Power
Shop, on the front it says B&D Power Shop. I'm confused. When did B&D

buy
DeWalt?

In 1960.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Custom...formation.aspx

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Jimmy" wrote:

I posted a couple of pics of the 17"ras that runs on120v. on abpw.

As I seem to recall from the previous thread, folks rightfully assumed
you were looking at a 17" diameter blade saw as blade diameter is the
way radial arm saws are sized. The motor to power a 17" blade (an
unlikely size) wouldn't run on 120v which was what all the hubbub was
about.

A 10" saw is on the small side for radial arms. 12" would be better and
14" would be sweet. (I'm thinking the 12", 14" and larger would
absolutely require 220v.)
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Jimmy" wrote in message
om...

"Greg O" wrote in message
"Jimmy" wrote in message
om...
I posted a couple of pics of the 17"ras that runs on120v. on abpw.
Must be pretty old, but seems to cut fine. Worth $200? He's in no hurry
to sell it, but does not use it much at all anymore.

Looked like a 10" B&D to me!
Greg

Sorry, I mean 10 inch blade, 17" carriage travel. It's a 12 amp motor, no
hp rating.It's a DeWalt B&D saw. Never heard of a 17" blade ras.

Last month I saw a 12" Dewalt, in beautiful condition, go for $200 at
auction. Sadly I didn't have room for it.
In general, older 10" go for about $70. Maybe yours is something special.

Posted to rec.woodworking
badger

Toller wrote:

Last month I saw a 12" Dewalt, in beautiful condition, go for $200 at
auction. Sadly I didn't have room for it.
In general, older 10" go for about $70. Maybe yours is something special.

Hummm, in the UK it'd go for = $500....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"badger" wrote in message

Toller wrote:

Last month I saw a 12" Dewalt, in beautiful condition, go for $200 at
auction. Sadly I didn't have room for it.
In general, older 10" go for about $70. Maybe yours is something
special.

Hummm, in the UK it'd go for = $500....

Maybe there is business potential for buying them here for $70 and shipping
them to the UK. The supply seems nearly unlimited.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Jimmy" wrote in message
m...

More pics on abpw that show otherwise, on the side it says DeWalt Power
Shop, on the front it says B&D Power Shop. I'm confused. When did B&D buy
DeWalt?

Possibly when that saw was built it was built like a Lincoln automobile.
Owned by Ford and with lots of Ford pieces and Ford stamps on the car with a
few Lincoln pieces to make it unique from other Fords. Take the Early 70's
T-bird and Continental for instance.

That does not mean you have a bad saw, as way back when, B&D still had a
reputable name as a builder of power tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rumpty

You have what looks like a 7730 which was a B&D design/downgrade from the
old deWalts, it has a manual brake, will not power a 10" blade correctly, it
is an open arm design which is not the best model to have. This model uses
a starter relay which is subject to failure, but esily replaceable. It's
NOT worth $200.

"Jimmy" wrote in message
om...
I posted a couple of pics of the 17"ras that runs on120v. on abpw.
Must be pretty old, but seems to cut fine. Worth $200? He's in no hurry to
sell it, but does not use it much at all anymore.

Posted to rec.woodworking
badger

Toller wrote:
Hummm, in the UK it'd go for = $500....

Maybe there is business potential for buying them here for $70 and shipping
them to the UK. The supply seems nearly unlimited.

Whereas here (UK) the supply is very limited....120v would need a
transformer, but as we run site tools on 110v that wouldn't be difficult!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"badger" wrote in message

Toller wrote:
Hummm, in the UK it'd go for = $500....

Maybe there is business potential for buying them here for $70 and
shipping them to the UK. The supply seems nearly unlimited.

Whereas here (UK) the supply is very limited....120v would need a
transformer, but as we run site tools on 110v that wouldn't be difficult!

Many can be changed to 240v easily enough.
Unfortunately this looks like another one of those great opportunities I
will regret later on.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused

Toller wrote:

Many can be changed to 240v easily enough.
Unfortunately this looks like another one of those great opportunities I
will regret later on.

Not to worry, there will be another chance to score one - perhaps an
even better one.

I passed on a DeWalt from the late 50's, early 60's I found at an estate
sale. Guy had a lot of stuff there but this was in primo shape, 10"
with probably half a dozen carbide blades, and at least ten more regular
blades and, IIRC, a dado set.

This was the DeWalt with the heavy duty "spatter type" paint job and the
elevation crank sitting on top of the column.

I didn't need it and, unfortunately, didn't have the space to store it
even temporarily while trying to sell it. They wanted $70 for the whole
shebang. Went back with the van to pick up another item I'd purchased
on Saturday - now we're talking half price day - and was told that it
went out the door, mid-morning, for $35. Hell, the OEM stand it was
sitting on was worth that!

Keep looking. If you want one, you'll eventually be given an
opportunity to "steal" one.