Posted to rec.woodworking
foggytown

Default Wood for food use

The other day I was watching an auction program and the host was
showing an antique kitchen table. He made the comment that the top was
made from sycamore so it was good for food preparation. He also showed
the shelf underneath the table which had two turned sycamore bowls on
it.

????? Has sycamore got some kind of special quality when it comes to
using it for food-related items?

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
The other day I was watching an auction program and the host was
showing an antique kitchen table. He made the comment that the top was
made from sycamore so it was good for food preparation. He also showed
the shelf underneath the table which had two turned sycamore bowls on
it.

????? Has sycamore got some kind of special quality when it comes to
using it for food-related items?

It tastes just like chicken...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
The other day I was watching an auction program and the host was
showing an antique kitchen table. He made the comment that the top was
made from sycamore so it was good for food preparation. He also showed
the shelf underneath the table which had two turned sycamore bowls on
it.

????? Has sycamore got some kind of special quality when it comes to
using it for food-related items?

It's what it _doesn't_ have that makes it suitable. Big pores for crap to
hide in, taste or color to leach out into your food.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 16:51:03 -0500, (J T) wrote:

It tastes just like chicken...

Would that be broiled, or fried?

Who ever heard of frying wood?

Woodworkers usually steam it instead. Much lower fat too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

foggytown wrote:
sycamore ,,, for food preparation.
?????
food-related items?

FoggyTown

Does anyone remember the name of the guy that used to be on the Grape
Nuts commercials?

He said, " This here pine tree is totally edible." :-)

Tom in KY, the doctor said that I needed more fiber to keep myself
regular. I ate bran and broccoli, drank Metamucil, took fiber pills.

2 days later, I pooped out an oriental rug.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message
oups.com...

foggytown wrote:
sycamore ,,, for food preparation.
?????
food-related items?

FoggyTown

Does anyone remember the name of the guy that used to be on the Grape
Nuts commercials?

Euell Gibbons? IIRC, he died in his early 60's of a heart attack.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
wrote in message

Does anyone remember the name of the guy that used to be on the Grape
Nuts commercials?

Euell Gibbons? IIRC, he died in his early 60's of a heart attack.

That sounds about right, the nutritional value of pine trees is
probably not very high.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Swingman
wrote:

Euell Gibbons? IIRC, he died in his early 60's of a heart attack.

December 29, 1975, actually.

"Hi. I'm Euell Gibbons. Ever eat a rock? It's outdoorsy taste reminds
me of wild hickory nuts!"

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natur...2_September_Oc
tober/Euell_s_Country for a short bio and a bibliography.

djb

--
Any government will work if authority and responsibility are equal and
coordinate. This does not insure "good" government; it simply insures that it
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Euell Gibbons? ,, died.

December 29, 1975, actually.

"Hi. I'm Euell Gibbons. Ever eat a rock? It's outdoorsy taste reminds
me of wild hickory nuts!"

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natur...2_September_Oc
tober/Euell_s_Country for a short bio and a bibliography.

Heh-heh, thank you for the link. A character worth remembering.

Tom in KY

Posted to rec.woodworking
John

IIRC Mr. Gibbons passed away from *cancer* (of which sort I don't know).
Must have been from those dandelion greens with DDT vinaigrette.

J.

wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Euell Gibbons? ,, died.

December 29, 1975, actually.

"Hi. I'm Euell Gibbons. Ever eat a rock? It's outdoorsy taste reminds
me of wild hickory nuts!"

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natur...2_September_Oc
tober/Euell_s_Country for a short bio and a bibliography.

Heh-heh, thank you for the link. A character worth remembering.

Tom in KY

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , John
wrote:

IIRC Mr. Gibbons passed away from *cancer* (of which sort I don't know).
Must have been from those dandelion greens with DDT vinaigrette.

A Google search reports heart attack, probably from cardiovascular
disease caused by smoking, saturated fats he added to his diet, and
lack of exercise later in his life.

djb

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Gordon

Here is the listing for Gibbons on the Dead People Server
(http://216.92.255.170/dps/):

"Euell Gibbons (naturalist/writer) -- Dead. Natural causes. Died December
29, 1975. Born September 8, 1911. Did a series of memorable commercials for
Post Grape Nuts in the early '70s, one of which started "Did you know most
parts of a pine tree are edible?" , wrote Stalking the Wild Asparagus. "

He came for a publicity tour/interview to the place I was working in '75 and
naturally there was a bit of hubbub because a "celebrity" was in our midst.
While joking around with a couple of my co-workers I said "Here, Mr.
Gibbons, have a snack" and held out a pencil. I then discovered that he was
sitting just on the other side of a cubicle partition, about 5 feet away and
probably heard what I said.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rod & Betty Jo

"John" wrote in message
IIRC Mr. Gibbons passed away from *cancer* (of which sort I don't know).
Must have been from those dandelion greens with DDT vinaigrette.

J.

Probably not......DDT is generally safe to drink...at least I believe no one
has ever documented any human harm from drinking it....However if you are a
Bald Eagle it is murder on the quality of your egg shell production. Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Rod & Betty Jo" wrote:

DDT is generally safe to drink...

Yeah, suuuure it is. You wanna substantiate that?

at least I believe no one
has ever documented any human harm from drinking it....

This could be evidence that:
a) no human being has ever been stupid enough to drink it;
b) you're ignorant of whatever documentation of harm may exist;
c) it really is safe to drink.

Which strikes you as being the most likely?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 01:55:57 -0800, "Rod & Betty Jo"
wrote:

Probably not......DDT is generally safe to drink...at least I believe no one
has ever documented any human harm from drinking it...

Yes, it's documented in breastfeeding, and there's some concern at
eating pigs (fatty meat) that may have been exposed to it. DDT never
harmed aything that ate it itself, it's when it's concentrated further
up the food chain that it was a problem. Humans tend not to eat
predators, so we get at most one level of concentration.

Irish Red Setters were very badly affected by it (kidney failure at a
couple of years old), but then in those days that was a breed of dog
suffering badly from inbreeding.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Gordon wrote:
Here is the listing for Gibbons on the Dead People Server
(http://216.92.255.170/dps/):

"Euell Gibbons (naturalist/writer) -- Dead. Natural causes. Died December
29, 1975. Born September 8, 1911.

!

He was obviously destined to greatness,, or maybe insanity.

My birthday is also September 8, a different year. I was born on my
uncle's 12th birthday. Yep, there's something about that day. Maybe the
stars align to form a perfect bull's eye on that day.?

Peter Sellers who starred in The Pink Panther, was also born on that
magical day.

Tom in KY, Ya' know, I always felt a connection to Euell while working
in my woodshop and smiling. I probably eat a pound of sawdust per month
:-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , "Rod & Betty Jo"
wrote:

DDT is generally safe to drink...

Yeah, suuuure it is. You wanna substantiate that?

at least I believe no one
has ever documented any human harm from drinking it....

This could be evidence that:
a) no human being has ever been stupid enough to drink it;
b) you're ignorant of whatever documentation of harm may exist;
c) it really is safe to drink.

Which strikes you as being the most likely?

DDT was spread over the malarial marshes and rice paddies for years. They
were the source of drinking water for millions. people ate it, but it was
tough to drink a quantity of it, because it's almost insoluble in water.
Soluble in fat, however, which is the rub. Farther up the food chain you
get, more of the oil-soluble stuff you get.

Ignorance appears to be from your side.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rod & Betty Jo

wrote:

DDT is generally safe to drink...

Yeah, suuuure it is. You wanna substantiate that?

http://www.junkscience.com/ddtfaq.htm

36. Men who voluntarily ingested 35 mgs of DDT daily for nearly two years
were carefully examined for years and "developed no adverse effects".

at least I believe no one
has ever documented any human harm from drinking it....

This could be evidence that:
a) no human being has ever been stupid enough to drink it;
b) you're ignorant of whatever documentation of harm may exist;
c) it really is safe to drink.

Which strikes you as being the most likely?
Regards,

The part where environmental politics trumps truth.....and is quite willing
to sacrifice millions of human lives to malaria to save us from a reasonably
benign (limited use) chemical. Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 01:40:52 -0800, "Rod & Betty Jo"
wrote:

The part where environmental politics trumps truth.

In the era of the DDT issue there was no environmental politics. It's
generally agreed that this was the issue that started it, as a coherent
movement. Ever actually _read_ Rachel Carson ?

DDT kills things you don't want killed. Outside of Florida and Africa,
you're better off overall without it (and there are alternatives).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

Default OT: DDT (was Wood for food use)

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:51:02 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Andy
Dingley quickly quoth:

wrote:

The part where environmental politics trumps truth.

In the era of the DDT issue there was no environmental politics. It's

No? Then why was her book so quickly successful?

generally agreed that this was the issue that started it, as a coherent
movement. Ever actually _read_ Rachel Carson ?

Have you read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear"? His advocate
discussed a few of her worst mistakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Carson shows that she, herself,
didn't want a ban on pesticides, just more controlled usage. But she
had created a monster.

DDT kills things you don't want killed. Outside of Florida and Africa,
you're better off overall without it (and there are alternatives).

http://reason.com/rb/rb061202.shtml has some good stats on countries
outside Africa and the southeast tip of USA. A quote from that,
regarding your killing statement:

"On June 14, 1972, 30 years ago this week, the EPA banned DDT despite
considerable evidence of its safety offered in seven months of agency
hearings. After listening to that testimony, the EPA’s own
administrative law judge declared, "DDT is not a carcinogenic hazard
to man...DDT is not a mutagenic or teratogenic hazard to man...The use
of DDT under the regulations involved here [does] not have a
deleterious effect on freshwater fish, estuarine organisms, wild birds
or other wildlife." Today environmental activists celebrate the EPA’s
DDT ban as their first great victory."

What and where is it killing, Andy? Cites? DDT's inventor got a
Nobel Peace Prize for it.

We'd probably have killed the spread of West Nile virus if DDT were
still around. DDT doesn't have to be spread by the kiloton (as it was
in the 50s and 60s) to be effective.

Against Base regulations and my parents' wishes, I ran behind the
fogger truck every season for 9 years, along with all the other kids,
sucking up DDT fumes by the truckload. AFAIK, I didn't suffer from it.
buuuurp

--

To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change
the world who are causing all the trouble --Anonymous
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pounds on Wood

Default DDT (was Wood for food use)

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Against Base regulations and my parents' wishes, I ran behind the
fogger truck every season for 9 years, along with all the other kids,
sucking up DDT fumes by the truckload. AFAIK, I didn't suffer from it.
buuuurp

--

Ah, that explains it :-)

--
********
Bill Pounds

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:02:07 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

What and where is it killing, Andy?

As the simplest and most obvious local examples, the three top level
avian predators in England, Scotland and Wales (Golden Eagles, Ospreys,
Red Kites) were driven almost to extinction by it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

wrote:

What and where is it killing, Andy?

As the simplest and most obvious local examples, the three top level
avian predators in England, Scotland and Wales (Golden Eagles, Ospreys,
Red Kites) were driven almost to extinction by it.

You mean because of thin shells? Nope.

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc98/4_25_98/fob2.htm

And

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C06/C...com.au/Chemica
ls/ddt.html

Eggshells in the UK started thinning 47 years before DDT.

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:26:52 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Andy
Dingley quickly quoth:

wrote:

What and where is it killing, Andy?

As the simplest and most obvious local examples, the three top level
avian predators in England, Scotland and Wales (Golden Eagles, Ospreys,
Red Kites) were driven almost to extinction by it.

Cites? Proper use or haphazard overuse? IIRC, they proved that
things other than DDT caused peregrine falcon egg thinning.

--

To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change
the world who are causing all the trouble --Anonymous
www.diversify.com We help you change your website for the better!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:28:17 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

You mean because of thin shells?

If I'd meant thin shells, I'd have said so. This was never thought a
problem for the UK raptors - they nest differently to the US species
where broken eggs would be a likely result of fragile shells. I'm
thinking more of liver and kidney damage in predators. And before you
quote the old US studies that found no evidence for this, _mice_ aren't
predators. You need to look at species that are eating fatty DDT
consumers, not DDT consumers themselves.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

[...]

Don't have the cite handy, but there is significant evidence that a very
large number of deaths in Africa due to malaria could have been prevented
had DDT been allowed to be used.

Against Base regulations and my parents' wishes, I ran behind the
fogger truck every season for 9 years, along with all the other kids,
sucking up DDT fumes by the truckload. AFAIK, I didn't suffer from it.
buuuurp

That 12'th toe don't mean nothin' :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Andy Dingley
wrote:

If I'd meant thin shells, I'd have said so. This was never thought a
problem for the UK raptors - they nest differently to the US species
where broken eggs would be a likely result of fragile shells. I'm
thinking more of liver and kidney damage in predators. And before you
quote the old US studies that found no evidence for this, _mice_ aren't
predators. You need to look at species that are eating fatty DDT
consumers, not DDT consumers themselves.

You referred to birds. The reasonable assuption, given the hysteria
from the anti-DDT crew, is that thin shells is what you meant as that
is what is screamed about regularly, even though it's at best
questionable.

Recent studies SINCE the 50s and 60s have pretty much discredited the
research that inspired the ban on DDT and there is something of a
movement to bring it back as a mechanisi to help fight mosquito-borne
disease (which are certainly not that big a concern in the UK, but it
is in Canada.)

I'm open to evidence, Andy. Please post the cites that support your
assertions. I promise I'm not being combatitive and am sincerely
interested in real studies.

djb

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
is a member. The civilian does not. ‹ Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:33:31 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
& Juanita quickly quoth:

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:02:07 -0800, Larry Jaques
Don't have the cite handy, but there is significant evidence that a very
large number of deaths in Africa due to malaria could have been prevented
had DDT been allowed to be used.

John's cite had 2.7 million per year for countries who also abandoned
its use. I guess that's one way to do population control, huh?

Against Base regulations and my parents' wishes, I ran behind the
fogger truck every season for 9 years, along with all the other kids,
sucking up DDT fumes by the truckload. AFAIK, I didn't suffer from it.
buuuurp

That 12'th toe don't mean nothin' :-)

I'm quintradextrous. Could it be my prehensile fore-appendage that
makes you uneasy?

--

To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change
the world who are causing all the trouble --Anonymous
www.diversify.com We help you change your website for the better!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Yes, it's also used to make wooden Peels, the paddles they use to move
pizza around in the oven.
Bugs