Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default BOMBE VITRINE

http://www.jeffgreefwoodworking.com/...ine/index.html

Another leftover side-effect from looking for a specific toybox a
bit back. And, yeah, it's been posted before. Nothing I think I'd
every want to make, but it's not bad.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear".
What do you "know"?
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

J T wrote:

http://www.jeffgreefwoodworking.com/...ine/index.html

Another leftover side-effect from looking for a specific
toybox a
bit back. And, yeah, it's been posted before. Nothing I think
I'd every want to make, but it's not bad.

Damn that's a wicked project. I think I'll stick to my simple "limited
to the rectilinear requirements of standard woodworking tooling" knock
'em out and bang it up utilitarian fare. Bookshelf anyone?

Joe Barta
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 03:29:00 GMT, Joe Barta wrote:

Damn that's a wicked project. I think I'll stick to my simple "limited
to the rectilinear requirements of standard woodworking tooling"

Curves _really_ aren't that hard. The trick is to keep the joinery
square, make the rails thick, then apply the curved shaping to them as
an afterthought.
Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:39:49 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 03:29:00 GMT, Joe Barta wrote:

Damn that's a wicked project. I think I'll stick to my simple "limited
to the rectilinear requirements of standard woodworking tooling"

Curves _really_ aren't that hard. The trick is to keep the joinery
square, make the rails thick, then apply the curved shaping to them as
an afterthought.

I've been tempted by this project. What holds me back from really
doing it is curving the glass.

Anyone here have experience with that? Is it as hard as it seems?

I'm sure wifey would love it if I built it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 08:10:44 -0600, George Max
wrote:

I've been tempted by this project. What holds me back from really
doing it is curving the glass.

Curved glass isn't too bad, although it can be hard to find someone
interested in doing small batches. Many of the "craft scale" people with
suitable kilns would also find it hard to slump bigger pieces. It also
takes practice at it to get "display-case grade" clarity on the glass
afterwards.

In general with glass, get your glass made up first and then cut the
timber to fit it. Glassworkers have funny ideas about finished sizes!

Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

wrote:

I've been tempted by this project. What holds me back from really
doing it is curving the glass.

Curved glass isn't too bad, although it can be hard to find someone
interested in doing small batches. Many of the "craft scale" people with
suitable kilns would also find it hard to slump bigger pieces. It also
takes practice at it to get "display-case grade" clarity on the glass
afterwards.

In general with glass, get your glass made up first and then cut the
timber to fit it. Glassworkers have funny ideas about finished sizes!

I read the glass forming part of his instructions. According to that,
he made a mold using a specific kind of refractory material and used a
kiln to heat a particular kind of glass to the point it slumped into
the mold.

The mold only arrived at the particular spherical shape, then he used
some sort of saw to cut the now spherical glass into the shapes needed
to fit into his spherical frame.

Quite a lot of work and expense to make one of these. Not that it's
undoable, but just very uneconomical to do for just a single unit.

Better to have him make you one if that's what you want, if only
because of the glass.