Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Norm's back!

According my Tivo channel guide, there's brand spanking new
NYW this weekend on my local PBS. Building a mantle.

After all the rain we have had in NorCal this week - it would
be nice to spend some time vegging out with Norm and
his merry band of powertools!

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here in Austin, TX our PBS station is scheduled to show the mantle
episode on Jan. 14 so I guess we're a week behind you.

Norm has just posted the 2006 schedule on his web site:

http://www.newyankee.com/2006.shtml

I'm interested in the poker table and wall paneling. I think Norm is
running on cruise control but maybe I'm just spoiled by David Marks.

Mike Brown

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Peterson

wrote in message
ups.com...
Here in Austin, TX our PBS station is scheduled to show the mantle
episode on Jan. 14 so I guess we're a week behind you.

Norm has just posted the 2006 schedule on his web site:

http://www.newyankee.com/2006.shtml

I'm interested in the poker table and wall paneling. I think Norm is
running on cruise control but maybe I'm just spoiled by David Marks.

Mike Brown

Are you getting new episodes of Woodworks? On DirecTV, it is mainly reruns.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Javier Henderson

Steve Peterson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Here in Austin, TX our PBS station is scheduled to show the mantle
episode on Jan. 14 so I guess we're a week behind you.

Norm has just posted the 2006 schedule on his web site:

http://www.newyankee.com/2006.shtml

I'm interested in the poker table and wall paneling. I think Norm is
running on cruise control but maybe I'm just spoiled by David Marks.

Mike Brown

Are you getting new episodes of Woodworks? On DirecTV, it is mainly reruns.

The DIY channel had a few episodes recently with a 2005 date on them. I
hadn't seen them before. One of them was a really nice chest of drawers
"with egyptian influences".

As for being spoiled by David Marks, I think his show and Norm's just
have different kinds of projects. David Marks' projects tend to be
beautiful pieces of furniture made with sometimes exotic woods. Norm's
projects tend to be functional, simpler pieces, either reproductions of
existing pieces, or projects for the home like wall panelling and
fireplace mantles, or shop projects like workbenches, shelving units,
etc. I don't think they compete with each other, rather they're
complementary to each other. I've yet to see Norm use a scraper or a
vacuum press, for example.

-jav
Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

wrote in message
oups.com...
According my Tivo channel guide, there's brand spanking new
NYW this weekend on my local PBS. Building a mantle.

After all the rain we have had in NorCal this week - it would
be nice to spend some time vegging out with Norm and
his merry band of powertools!

MJ Wallace

Awesome, Thanks for the heads-up. I'm ready to watch some brad nails fly!
Gotta love that guy..

--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmeliss...ing_frames.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
Steve Peterson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Norm is more down-to-earth in his projects for the average woodworker trying
to learn the hobby. Who, but a rich woodworker could possibly afford the
woods Marks uses?

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Norm is more down-to-earth in his projects for the average woodworker
trying to learn the hobby. Who, but a rich woodworker could possibly
afford the woods Marks uses?

Dave,

You don't have to use the same woods he uses to make one of his projects. I
think Marks has a lot to offer. It was refreshing to watch him after years
of watching Norm who only makes antique reproductions.

I think they are both pretty swell.

--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmeliss...ing_frames.htm
(Featuring a NEW look)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Javier Henderson

Norm is more down-to-earth in his projects for the average woodworker trying
to learn the hobby. Who, but a rich woodworker could possibly afford the
woods Marks uses?

As opposed to the poor woodworkers who can afford all the tools that
Norm uses?

Just like one can complete a lot of the NYW projects without all the
cool tools, one could complete some of Marks' projects using other, less
expensive kinds of woods.

-jav
Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

"Dave" wrote in message
Norm is more down-to-earth in his projects for the average woodworker
trying to learn the hobby. Who, but a rich woodworker could possibly
afford the woods Marks uses?

Ever notice how stingy Marks is with the expensive woods? Always (well,
most of the time) uses them as veneers and makes one board cover several
projects. The corner shelf he did used stain on cherry to match the wenge
highlights. I recently started to build a chess board following the design
Marks did on one of his shows. I was going to use wenge but switched to
good old american walnut for the dark but I splurged and bought a piece of
curly maple for the light. By using the veneering technique I actually got
three chess boards out of both woods and could have gotten more had I cut
the veneers to 3/32" like Marks does....my veneers were 1/4" thick because I
didn't have the confidence to work with such a thin material with all the
glue up, scraping/sanding I knew I'd be doing.

Yes Norm is more down to earth. A good example is the chest he did
(Jamaican I think) where the original had some pretty intricate type of
dovetail joint. Norm used regular dt's due to time and if I remember
correctly, the innability to do that in the NYW shop!

I've learned a lot from watching both and often do it Norm's way when I wish
I could do it Marks' way as fast as he is able to do it on tv........

Now I sit here waiting for a collar bone to heal so I can get back in the
shop and finish all the chess boards I started.

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message

Just like one can complete a lot of the NYW projects without all the
cool tools, one could complete some of Marks' projects using other, less
expensive kinds of woods.

Yeah ... was wondering about using bookmatched mdf as a replacement for the
zebrawood veneer top on that recent writing desk episode.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking

According to David, Woodworks is "on hiatus" after 7 seasons of 13
episodes. The producers will contact him if they decide to go ahead
with more shows but nothing is planned as of now. All episodes have
been broadcast so everything is a rerun now.

Mike Brown

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:36:10 -0500, Javier Henderson
wrote:

[top posted for your convenience]

Scraper: 2003, Episode 1512, French Side Table.

I've yet to see Norm use a scraper or a
vacuum press, for example.

No vacuum press, yet, though.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 1/4/2006 10:36 AM Javier Henderson mumbled something about the following:
Steve Peterson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Here in Austin, TX our PBS station is scheduled to show the mantle
episode on Jan. 14 so I guess we're a week behind you.

Norm has just posted the 2006 schedule on his web site:

http://www.newyankee.com/2006.shtml

I'm interested in the poker table and wall paneling. I think Norm is
running on cruise control but maybe I'm just spoiled by David Marks.

Mike Brown

Are you getting new episodes of Woodworks? On DirecTV, it is mainly reruns.

The DIY channel had a few episodes recently with a 2005 date on them. I
hadn't seen them before. One of them was a really nice chest of drawers
"with egyptian influences".

I saw that episode 3 times already. Well, I saw it once, and it came on
twice again when I just happened to have the TV on and was playing on
the computer.

As for being spoiled by David Marks, I think his show and Norm's just
have different kinds of projects. David Marks' projects tend to be
beautiful pieces of furniture made with sometimes exotic woods. Norm's
projects tend to be functional, simpler pieces, either reproductions of
existing pieces, or projects for the home like wall panelling and
fireplace mantles, or shop projects like workbenches, shelving units,
etc. I don't think they compete with each other, rather they're
complementary to each other. I've yet to see Norm use a scraper or a
vacuum press, for example.

I like to watch David Marks and Norm, both. If I ever get to be as good
as either of them, I'm giving up computers as a living

--
Odinn

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

Yeah ... was wondering about using bookmatched mdf as a replacement for the
zebrawood veneer top on that recent writing desk episode.

LOL... Block a flitch of that imported (straw) mdf from China through
the bandsaw for that exotic look? Are stains allowed?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Javier Henderson

Swingman wrote:
"Javier Henderson" wrote in message

Just like one can complete a lot of the NYW projects without all the
cool tools, one could complete some of Marks' projects using other, less
expensive kinds of woods.

Yeah ... was wondering about using bookmatched mdf as a replacement for the
zebrawood veneer top on that recent writing desk episode.

Man, you're lucky you can afford MDF to book match it. Here, I'm working
on that project, using book matched OSB!

-jav
Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Airporte

Norm is more down-to-earth in his projects for the average woodworker trying
to learn the hobby. Who, but a rich woodworker could possibly afford the
woods Marks uses?

They're both too fancy for me. Roy Underhill could make any one of their
projects starting with a tree and using only a piece of string.

--
My spelling is really atrocious.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Geo

Gordon Airporte wrote:
Norm is more down-to-earth in his projects for the average woodworker trying
to learn the hobby. Who, but a rich woodworker could possibly afford the
woods Marks uses?

They're both too fancy for me. Roy Underhill could make any one of their
projects starting with a tree and using only a piece of string.

True, Phillips is the McGyver of woodworking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike:

You're in sync with us. I mis-read the Tivo Guide. The "Mantle" show
is on the 14th in Cal.

Here's a description I got from the KQED.COM website:

---
After tackling more pressing projects, Norm finally gets around to
building a mantelpiece for the master bedroom in his new home: a
beautiful Colonial piece that frames the master bedroom's fireplace.
The project involves the production of several router table moldings,
the creation of flat panels made from m.d.f., some precise work with
the miter saw and installation of the completed mantelpiece to the
existing fireplace. As always, Norm makes this complicated project seem
within reach of most average woodworkers.

-----

I thought at one point, Norm took everyone on a tour of his house
(subject of
a book, about 10 (?) years ago) and he hadn't done much "finish" inside
-
too busy building other pieces for everyone else. Guess this is payback
to his wife for being so neglectful.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
DamnYankee

And he only uses the string for a tourniquet! :-)

BB

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Default Norm's back!Where in Southern California

Bilbo Baggins wrote:
Norm's new season starts on KOCE on Saturday the 21st.
I watch him on Direct TV

How much would you like to wager that KOCE will use the time begging
rather than showing NYW?

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bilbo Baggins

NO bet. Thats what KCET did before they canceled NYW.

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:04:29 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Bilbo Baggins wrote:
Norm's new season starts on KOCE on Saturday the 21st.
I watch him on Direct TV

How much would you like to wager that KOCE will use the time begging
rather than showing NYW?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Bilbo Baggins wrote:

NO bet. Thats what KCET did before they canceled NYW.

If you check the KOCE web site, you will find the show the first episode
of the 2006 series on 01/28/06.

So what else is new?

BTW, sent a teaser e-mail to KCET today.

Lets see what happens.

Lew