Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is an adequate size for a mite saw?

I have the opportunity to pick up a never used Dewalt DW703 for
nothing. I know it is a good deal, but will I be sorry that it is
neither a 12" or a slider?

At this point in time, I do not foresee myself cutting anything bigger
than a 2x6 or 4x4 but that doesn't mean I won't in the future. I also
don't cut much crown molding but, again, you never know if that may
change.

I have learned over the years to buy things once and be done with it or
doesn't that pertain to freebies?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have the opportunity to pick up a never used Dewalt DW703 for
nothing. I know it is a good deal, but will I be sorry that it is
neither a 12" or a slider?

At this point in time, I do not foresee myself cutting anything bigger
than a 2x6 or 4x4 but that doesn't mean I won't in the future. I also
don't cut much crown molding but, again, you never know if that may
change.

I have learned over the years to buy things once and be done with it or
doesn't that pertain to freebies?

If it is a good enough deal you can always sell it if you find it is
inadequate. That makes a lot more sense than buying a 12" slider only to
find you haven't used it's capacity since you bought it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree with Toller. I have the DeWalt 708 (I think) 12" dual bevel
slider. I can cut a 4 x 12 with it. I've never seen a 4x12, but if I
do I'll be able to say I can cut it. In my smallish shop I can't keep
the slider set up because it requires about 12 inches behind the saw
for the sliding mechanism. There have been a alot of days where I
wished I had the a smaller one, saw that is.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

That's my problem too: SPACE.

The price is right: FREE!

I know looking a gift horse in the mouth is stupid but I don't want to
pull the trigger on this if it is less than adequate.

Mehtinks I am going to go for it!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ahh.... you did say it was free, correct?
Then what exactly is the issue?
Take the saw, use it for as long as you deem neccessary.
If it ends up being what you want - great, didnt cost you anything.
If it ends up NOT being what you want, youre a step ahead of everyone
else already - you found that out for free rather then spending the 500
bucks.
Go for it.

All that aside, I think 10' is more than sufficient for _most_ people.
Unless you plan on cutting massive mouldings are large wood, you dont
need the 12' or a slider (both of which will take up more room).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, I know. It's free. Why not?!

The reason I was stammering was because I didn't want to take somehting
that may cause me more grief than it was worth. i have stumbled over
many so-called bargins in my life that turned out to be the exact
opposite, that's all.

But you guys convinced me!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Take it , at that price why question it.

Give it a good checkout before plugging it in as you would for any used
equipment.

I bought a radial arm saw because I needed to cut 1 x 8 to length. When
I started a house repair project I wound up buying a chop saw because I
could move it easily and for quickly trimming 2 x 4 and trim it was
ideal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have the opportunity to pick up a never used Dewalt DW703 for
nothing. I know it is a good deal, but will I be sorry that it is
neither a 12" or a slider?

When I bought my saw, I bought the 12" because you just never know and
figured I'd use the additional size one day. I had a flooring job to do and
needed the saw at that time and really could have gotten away with a $79
China special. Truth is, I hardly ever really need the 12". I'm still
glad I bought it, but given the price of FREE, the 10" would be quite
serviceable for many years.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Ketchum

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have the opportunity to pick up a never used Dewalt DW703 for
nothing. I know it is a good deal, but will I be sorry that it is
neither a 12" or a slider?

Take it. It is free. If you can't live with it sell it, or donate it and
take a tax writeoff. Or better yet, send it to me.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've had a 10" compound mitre saw for 13 years now.I started with a HD
Ryobi with a STEEL deck. HEAVY!
After 6 years a carpenter buddy traded me even up for a brand new
Hitachi with an aluminum deck.
The Hitachi didn't fit in his truck box, but his worn out Ryobu had
fit. He knew I had the same saw so he
swapped me. He was almost apologizing duirng the transaction.

The 10" saw has done everything I've needed to trim 2 entire houses.

Free is free . . .

Jim