DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Update to previsous post, "Can a plane *really* eliminate sanding..." (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/138336-update-previsous-post-can-plane-%2Areally%2A-eliminate-sanding.html)

[email protected] January 2nd 06 11:16 PM

Update to previsous post, "Can a plane *really* eliminate sanding..."

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. Talked to the guy at Woodcraft
who taught me sharpening, and he recommended a LN 4 1/2 smoother. His
recommendation was based on what I told him I was working on...mostly
cherry wood, plenty of tables/bookcases/etc. He said any tearout can
be remedied with a card scraper. Went home with it. Time will tell if
it's the right one for my needs, but it sure is a joy to use.

At the same time, my SWMBO bought me the LV Medium Shoulder Plane off
the wish list. What a jewel.

Just a few months ago, I posted a question along the likes of "If you
had to buy JUST ONE PLANE, which would it be..."

Of course, everyone warned me I wouldn't buy just one, and they were
right. I'm now own the above two, plus the LV low-angle block. (For
the record, those who said I wouldn't stop at one, you all suck and are
headed straight to hell.)

Hand planes are like crack, except they're sold in fewer places.

James \Cubby\ Culbertson January 3rd 06 12:05 AM

Update to previsous post, "Can a plane *really* eliminate sanding..."

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks to everyone for the good advice. Talked to the guy at Woodcraft
who taught me sharpening, and he recommended a LN 4 1/2 smoother. His
recommendation was based on what I told him I was working on...mostly
cherry wood, plenty of tables/bookcases/etc. He said any tearout can
be remedied with a card scraper. Went home with it. Time will tell if
it's the right one for my needs, but it sure is a joy to use.

Let us know how they work out for ya. I have never had much luck with
scrapers on Cherry but then again, I still don't think I've
hit the "Zen" level with sharpening them.
Cheers,
cc

Mark & Juanita January 3rd 06 03:54 AM

Update to previsous post, "Can a plane *really* eliminate sanding..."

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:05:51 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Thanks to everyone for the good advice. Talked to the guy at Woodcraft
who taught me sharpening, and he recommended a LN 4 1/2 smoother. His
recommendation was based on what I told him I was working on...mostly
cherry wood, plenty of tables/bookcases/etc. He said any tearout can
be remedied with a card scraper. Went home with it. Time will tell if
it's the right one for my needs, but it sure is a joy to use.

Let us know how they work out for ya. I have never had much luck with
scrapers on Cherry

Cherry's not bad at all. Wild-grained Ash, that's a different story. Not
much problem with the scraper if I get there before a really big screw-up
with the hand plane

but then again, I still don't think I've
hit the "Zen" level with sharpening them.

I finally bought the Veritas scraper burnishing tool. That has made all
the difference in the world. Now, when I don't get a good hook I know it's
time to sharpen the scraper by filing it back and re-squaring the edges

Cheers,
cc

James \Cubby\ Culbertson January 3rd 06 04:28 PM

wrote:

I finally bought the Veritas scraper burnishing tool. That has made all
the difference in the world. Now, when I don't get a good hook I know it's
time to sharpen the scraper by filing it back and re-squaring the edges

Cheers,
cc

Yeah, my problem has been turning the hook too much. The last time I used
my scrapers, it felt like I finally "got it". I think I was using way too
much pressure when turning the hook. I haven't had a chance to do any
woodworking for a while but hopefully the new year will get me going again!
I do remember the cherry kind of peeled up vs. scraped up for lack of a
better description. Probably a sign of a dull or poorly sharpened scraper.
Cheers,
cc