Posted to rec.woodworking
TrailRat

Default so how many??

How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list was this
disorganized as mine.

Projects I have on the go at the moment is a kitchen remodeling,
storage crates, wooden bent trike, display case, storage area
remodeling. Seems kind of small but I'm sure I'm missing out on a few
things.

TR

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

TrailRat wrote:

How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list was this
disorganized as mine.

Projects I have on the go at the moment is a kitchen remodeling,
storage crates, wooden bent trike, display case, storage area
remodeling. Seems kind of small but I'm sure I'm missing out on a few
things.

TR

I do one wood project at a time. I've got little space for wood storage
and less when I've got a cabinet occupying the only assembly table I
have room for.

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"TrailRat" wrote in message
How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

Only one personal one at a time .... an ironclad rule that makes it easy to
refuse neighbors/relatives/good looking blonde across the street in a weak
moment caused by low cut blouse/ and those who can't screw in a light bulb
and want you to do something.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking

TrailRat wrote:
How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list was this
disorganized as mine.

Projects I have on the go at the moment is a kitchen remodeling,
storage crates, wooden bent trike, display case, storage area
remodeling. Seems kind of small but I'm sure I'm missing out on a few
things.

TR

Hehehe,

Funny that you ask. I have a big problem with that because I've been
more busy collecting the perfect set of tools rather than doing
projects. Worst, when I start a project, I usually give a good shot at
it until something else comes along and I'm forced to push it aside. In
some occasions, it took me over 2 years to complete a simple
nightstand.

The situation is so bad now than even my wife doesn't want me to start
anything that is on a tight schedule because she knows things won't be
ready on time. I also get the usual nagging lines like:

"You better start your son's bedroom set now before he leaves the house
for university (he's 10 months old)" (By the way, he has a small
bedroom set already but I wanted to make him one that would be more fun
for him to use)

Cyberben

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

lol. I started a train table for my oldest son when he was 2. I
didn't finish it until he was 6 and his brother was 2. :-)

I also refuse requests. My main focus at the moment is shop tools. I
don't have enough storage space in the shop, nor do I have a proper
work bench. I think those things are the priority at the moment.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On 2 Jan 2006 12:56:36 -0800, "TrailRat"
wrote:

How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list was this
disorganized as mine.

Projects I have on the go at the moment is a kitchen remodeling,
storage crates, wooden bent trike, display case, storage area
remodeling. Seems kind of small but I'm sure I'm missing out on a few
things.

TR

"I feel your pain."

The key is categorization and prioritization!

First, the categories:

A: Projects That, If Not Done Immediately, Will Result In Death
Or Dismemberment To Those You Love.

B: Projects That, If Not Done Immediately, Will Result In Your
Wife Poisoning You. (Often thought to be a subcategory of the above
but that is a misattribution, sometimes).

C: Projects That, If Not Done Immediately, Will Result In Your
Going Finally and Irrevocably Insane. (cf: Cleaning The Shop).

D: Projects That, If Not Done Immediately, Will Result In
Disappointing Your Children.

E: Projects That Would Be Really Fun And Would Only Take One Day.

F: Projects That Must Be Done Immediately Because God Told You To
Do Them.

Now, How To Prioritize:

Do E: until you get to the point where you simply must do C:, always
keeping in mind that you will have to fight a delaying action on A:
and B:.

Once you get C: done, do D:. You can use this as leverage in staving
off B:, and in most cases, A:, because both are most often a matter of
perception.

Once you are in the clear on D:, you can go back to doing E:, keeping
in mind the multiplier effect which states, " All jobs that are fun
and will only take one day will turn out to be 1/2 as much fun as you
originally thought and will take 3X longer." If you do too much E:,
A: and especially B: will catch up with you.

When you get to the point where you must simply do A: or B:, plead the
fact that you must first do F:. By this time you will have another D:
to do. You can get away with the F: excuse with the D: people but the
person involved with B: will likely say, "Unless you are building a
freaking Ark, you need to start doing some B:

You may be out of smack by this point and will just have to do B:

However, if F: is true, and A: is true, you may not have to do B: at
all, because that decision will be taken out of your hands.

In this case, those pertinent to D: will inherit everything you own
and begin the cycle all over again.

Simple really.

Tom Watson

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"David" wrote in message

I do one wood project at a time.

Me too, 'cept I don't always (read: usually...) finish one before starting
another.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

TrailRat wrote:
How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list was this
disorganized as mine.

If you don't have at least 178 items on your list, then you have too
much time on your hands. Idle hands are the devil's playground.
Especially when it comes down to the good looking blonde across the
street, especially when she has a really low cut blouse on.

Also, it can indicate that nobody wants you doing anything for them.
For whatever reason.

Tom in KY, trying to stay busy with at least 185 unfinished projects
and a really good looking blonde across the street with a really low
cut blouse on almost every time I see her and I appreciate the crap out
of it too! ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 15:06:50 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"TrailRat" wrote in message
How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

Only one personal one at a time .... an ironclad rule that makes it easy to
refuse

snip

good looking blonde across the street in a weak
moment caused by low cut blouse/

snip

You've got more iron in you than I do, Swing.

BTW - that's the second titty reference of the day. Did you play a
gig at the local nudie bar this weekend?

(watson - who ain't been in a titty bar since before silicone was more
than a caulk - sigh...)

Tom Watson

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote:

good looking blonde across the street in a weak
moment caused by low cut blouse/

snip

You've got more iron in you than I do, Swing.

BTW - that's the second titty reference of the day. Did you play a
gig at the local nudie bar this weekend?

(watson - who ain't been in a titty bar since before silicone was more
than a caulk - sigh...)

You'd have to see the blonde across the street to understand.

... enough of this, I gotta go take my iron.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"TrailRat" wrote in message
oups.com...
How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list was this
disorganized as mine.

Projects I have on the go at the moment is a kitchen remodeling,
storage crates, wooden bent trike, display case, storage area
remodeling. Seems kind of small but I'm sure I'm missing out on a few
things.

TR

Yes. I tend to get started on a project and before finishing, I start on
another. I'm pretty good at keeping on pace with the woodworking projects
but it's the house ones that I get to about 95% and then move on to the
next. Right now, I'm finishing up an adobe wall, building a kiva style
fireplace, putting wood floors down, painting, brick walks, etc.... and
trying to plan a workshop (hopefully breaking ground in the spring if it
doesn't cost me too much). I haven't even mentioned the projects on my
Jeep but I think you get the point. I'm trying to completely finish one
before moving on to the next. You aren't alone......
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

I get so many started and sometimes it takes longer to complete some than
others. My wife swears I'm A.D.D. I say I'm just waiting to get a new
tool/more material/more inspiration/ etc, but she's probably right. --dave

"David" wrote in message
TrailRat wrote:

How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list was this
disorganized as mine.

Projects I have on the go at the moment is a kitchen remodeling,
storage crates, wooden bent trike, display case, storage area
remodeling. Seems kind of small but I'm sure I'm missing out on a few
things.

TR

I do one wood project at a time. I've got little space for wood storage
and less when I've got a cabinet occupying the only assembly table I have
room for.

dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

":
:
: I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list
was this
: disorganized as mine.
:
: Projects I have on the go at the moment is a kitchen
remodeling,
: storage crates, wooden bent trike, display case, storage
area
: remodeling. Seems kind of small but I'm sure I'm missing out
on a few
: things.
:
: TR
I generally keep two projects at a time going: One major, one
strictly for play/recreation for while the main ine's waiting for
something or I don't feel good or just need a break. But, the
lists require lists to keep track of the lists, so those are
always in flux! Stupid warm weather's keeping me WAY too busy on
those dumb enclosed porches though; t hought I had til spring to
get back to those! So, the "temp" porch jobs have displaced the
"main" job AND the play project for the moment. So, I guess now
& then it springs out to three or four! Still got a piece of
molding missing in the tub room; oh yeah, that outlet downstairs
still needs a metal cover; think there was something about a car
that needed locks lubricated , . , ... nuts! G

Pop

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On 2 Jan 2006 12:56:36 -0800, "TrailRat" wrote:

How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list was this
disorganized as mine.

Projects I have on the go at the moment is a kitchen remodeling,
storage crates, wooden bent trike, display case, storage area
remodeling. Seems kind of small but I'm sure I'm missing out on a few
things.

TR

Have a list of projects for the future, but I only work on one
woodworking project at a time and until it is finished and placed.
Household projects are another story, those are worked on in order of
priority (i.e, how bad is it broken and/or is not fixing it costing money
or good-standing with wife points) and available time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
"TrailRat" wrote:

I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list was this
disorganized as mine.

1) My oldest daughter needs a coffee table for her new place.
She is buying all the right pieces, raising the bar on what will 'fit
in' with her decor. I told her 2006. Cherry.

2) Two bedside tables which will attach to the headboard (already in
place). The cherry is in inventory. Two 100"+ boards will be used to
make a shallow shelf to sit on top of the cherry headboard. My wife will
like them, we worked on the design together, a la Stickley, but cherry.
I paid Can$5.50 bd-ft 4/4 dressed...not too bad for around here. I told
her 2006.

3) Island and elevated bar Solid surface tops. Model home, residential
development South Shore Lake Huron, due January 2006.

4) 2 units each 4-bowl Solid Surface vanities. Holiday Inn, Bluewater.
Due Jan 15 2006.

5-12) Countertops as I get to them by July 21 2006 as I will go to Nova
Scotia to attend yet another HOG wedding and eat some seafood, drink
some beer.

All these things are happening at once. I am also planning a trip to
Durham NC in April.

I am as organized as a Tasmanian devil in a revolving door.
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

"David" wrote in message

TrailRat wrote:

How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list was this
disorganized as mine.

Projects I have on the go at the moment is a kitchen remodeling,
storage crates, wooden bent trike, display case, storage area
remodeling. Seems kind of small but I'm sure I'm missing out on a few
things.

TR

I do one wood project at a time. I've got little space for wood storage
and less when I've got a cabinet occupying the only assembly table I have
room for.

dave

Finishing a project is not my problem; starting them is! That's
because I labor over the design phase. The rest is relatively easy, for
me (relative to the designing, I mean)!

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

TrailRat wrote:
How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list was this
disorganized as mine.

Projects I have on the go at the moment is a kitchen remodeling,
storage crates, wooden bent trike, display case, storage area
remodeling. Seems kind of small but I'm sure I'm missing out on a few
things.

TR

G'day all,
Sure is good to know that a bloke is not alone in this world
My biggest problem with getting jobs done is getting them started.
I keep on finding that in order to do A, B, must be done and B, relies
on D being completed but before D, C needs a coat of paint etc etc etc.
Actually, with reno's happening soon, I have so many bloody things to do
and half started to finish that I haven't had time to make that list.

To all you organised blokes out there, I humbly admit admiration.

regards
John

Posted to rec.woodworking
TrailRat

To all you organised blokes out there, I humbly admit admiration.

regards
John

I echo that sentiment.
To be fair I'm working without a work shop, hand power tools only. My
other problem lies in the fact that I salvage, re-cycle, reclaim all my
timber if I can. So I'm usually waiting for someone else to realize
they don't need that bit of timber before I can find it.

I think some mentioned A.D.D in passing humour. I had that as a kid,
can it continue into adulthood? Might explain a few thing.

Thanks anyway for your comments

And yes low cut blouses are generally a distraction until SWMBO gently
reminds you where your loyalty lies. This usually involves a thump.

TR

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 1/3/2006 2:56 AM TrailRat mumbled something about the following:
To all you organised blokes out there, I humbly admit admiration.

regards
John

I echo that sentiment.
To be fair I'm working without a work shop, hand power tools only. My
other problem lies in the fact that I salvage, re-cycle, reclaim all my
timber if I can. So I'm usually waiting for someone else to realize
they don't need that bit of timber before I can find it.

I think some mentioned A.D.D in passing humour. I had that as a kid,
can it continue into adulthood? Might explain a few thing.

Thanks anyway for your comments

And yes low cut blouses are generally a distraction until SWMBO gently
reminds you where your loyalty lies. This usually involves a thump.

TR

You never seen that TV commercial about adult ADD? First time I saw the
commercial, I thought to myself, "Isn't that normal? Doesn't everyone's
mind work this way?" It never occurred to me that most adults don't
have ADD. I do think it has helped me as a computer software developer
and admin though, because I'm usually involved in about 20-30 projects
at work, and if I waited until each one was completed before I started
on the next, I would be so far behind. Instead I work a few minutes on
this project, a few minutes on that, etc. and am able to give progress
reports on every project.

--
Odinn - glad to have adult ADD
Posted to rec.woodworking
steamer

--I've got "fast track" projects and "slow track" projects.
Trouble is they're kinda all mixed up together.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

wrote:

How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

Do you mean how many am I actually physically working on, or how many
I wish I had time to get to?

At the moment, I've got one big project going and two smaller
projects. Well, I had to build some things for the big project, so I
guess I had another project there, but that's over with. And the two
smaller ones could easily be finished, if I took time off from the big
one to actually finish them, so...
Posted to rec.woodworking
FunkySpaceCowboy

TrailRat wrote:
How many projects have you got on the go at one time. I feel like I
have so many to do, so many I want to do.

I like having two going at once, usually in different phases so if I
get tired doing joinery I can take a break and do some finishing for
example. Course right now it's all jewelry boxes while I try to finish
up some very late, overly ambitious xms presents. A pair of matching
jewelry boxes for my sister and neice - out of bloodwood and soft
maple. Taking about 4x as long as I budgeted (in progress pics here if
anyone cares: http://gallery.acerbic.org/album25) mainly because the
bloodwood is a total ******* and beats the hell of out of my not so
great handtools. Gawd, I've spent as much time sharpening chisels and
plane blades as I have cutting wood. Not working with this stuff again
for a while, need better tools and more practice.

I was just curious as to wether anyone elses project list was this
disorganized as mine.

Yeah my project list itself is pretty disorganized and always subject
to change. Since I'm still pretty new to this hobby I want to make
practice items first before commiting to the real thing. Here's what I
got going on or will have going on soon, in rough order of priority:

Active:
xmas presents: Knife Block for Mom (needs finishing); Bloodwood & Maple
box #1 (needs a bottom, needs the lid attached and needs to be
finished) Bloodwood & Maple box #2 (needs to be started (all tools need
a sharpening first))

Maple and Walnut box as a surprise, non xmas gift for my girlfriend.

In the Pipe:

Small corner unit entertainment center - practice project, going to a
buddy who will pay for the wood and hardware needed. He's cheap so
probably a poplar body with ash for the top.

Blanket Chest #1- practice project for me to keep, thinking maple and
walnut.

Small breakfast table for girlfriend's new apartment
Coffee table for girlfriend's new apartment
Blanket Chest for girlfriend.

Breakfast table for me
corner unit entertainment center for me, to replace giant wall unit I
have now.
---------------

Of course the priorities will all change once my girlfriend gets moved
into to her new place and starts wanting furniture... I think the
breakfast table will probably go up to the top of the list pretty quick
:-

Cheers,

Josh

Posted to rec.woodworking

FunkySpaceCowboy wrote:

A pair of matching jewelry boxes for my sister and neice - out of bloodwood and soft
maple. Taking about 4x as long as I budgeted (in progress pics here if
anyone cares: http://gallery.acerbic.org/album25)

Nice pics, I wish more people would post pics.

Maple and Walnut box as a surprise, non xmas gift for my girlfriend.

Please post pics when finished.

Blanket Chest #1- practice project for me to keep, thinking maple and
walnut.

Please post pics when finished.

my girlfriend :-

Please post pics. ;-)

Tom in KY, Come ON, everybody wants to see !!!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On 3 Jan 2006 16:34:07 -0800, wrote:

FunkySpaceCowboy wrote:

A pair of matching jewelry boxes for my sister and neice - out of bloodwood and soft
maple. Taking about 4x as long as I budgeted (in progress pics here if
anyone cares:
http://gallery.acerbic.org/album25)

Nice pics, I wish more people would post pics.

Maple and Walnut box as a surprise, non xmas gift for my girlfriend.

Please post pics when finished.

Blanket Chest #1- practice project for me to keep, thinking maple and
walnut.

Please post pics when finished.

my girlfriend :-

Please post pics. ;-)

Tom in KY, Come ON, everybody wants to see !!!

Tom:

Do you ever wander over to ABPW?

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

Tom:

Do you ever wander over to ABPW?

Lots of girlfriend shots over there, eh.

At least that's what I saw :-)