Posted to rec.woodworking
PetQuality

Default Recommend a glue for hardwood to tile contact?

I recently installed some Iroko floors and decided to mill all the
transition pieces myself, since I have some Iroko laying around
(doesn't everyone?).

The transition pieces will sit roughly half on ceramic tile and half on
the pre-finished flooring (which has some kind of polyurethane finish).

Can anyone recommend the right glue for this application? I want to
make a strong bond, but not the kind that it would take a jackhammer to
remove. So construction adesive/liquid nails is out, as would be (I
think) gorilla glue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy New Year to all of you except the spammers.

PQ

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

PetQuality wrote:

I recently installed some Iroko floors and decided to mill all the
transition pieces myself, since I have some Iroko laying around
(doesn't everyone?).

The transition pieces will sit roughly half on ceramic tile and half on
the pre-finished flooring (which has some kind of polyurethane finish).

Can anyone recommend the right glue for this application? I want to
make a strong bond, but not the kind that it would take a jackhammer to
remove. So construction adesive/liquid nails is out, as would be (I
think) gorilla glue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy New Year to all of you except the spammers.

PQ

Why do you need to remove the tile later? Hot melt?

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

PetQuality wrote:
I recently installed some Iroko floors and decided to mill all the
transition pieces myself, since I have some Iroko laying around
(doesn't everyone?).

The transition pieces will sit roughly half on ceramic tile and half on
the pre-finished flooring (which has some kind of polyurethane finish).

Can anyone recommend the right glue for this application? I want to
make a strong bond, but not the kind that it would take a jackhammer to
remove. So construction adesive/liquid nails is out, as would be (I
think) gorilla glue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The mastic used to glue tile to underlayment might work.
NOT the grout sold as mastic and grout, the pure adhesive
without fillers.

I think the newer latex-based mastics are not as sticky as
the older petroleum-based mastics, but they might work.

A heat gun or solvent would probably soften it, but I'd think
that either would also work on liquid nails.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
PetQuality

My reasoning for wanting to avoid construction adhesive is "just in
case" for down the road... in case the tile needs to be replaced, or
the transition piece needs to be repaired, etc. In a pinch I don't
think it'd kill me to use something as permanent as liquid nails, I'd
just rather take it back a couple of notches so that it's a firm hold
but still removable if needed.

PQ

Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

PetQuality wrote:
My reasoning for wanting to avoid construction adhesive is "just in
case" for down the road... in case the tile needs to be replaced, or
the transition piece needs to be repaired, etc. In a pinch I don't
think it'd kill me to use something as permanent as liquid nails, I'd
just rather take it back a couple of notches so that it's a firm hold
but still removable if needed.

PQ

Why not use trim screws?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
PetQuality

Trim screws?

I don't see how that'd work, though I don't claim to be knowledgable on
tile issues. The screws would be fine going through the the iroko, but
wouldn't that either crack the tile or just not hold? I should have
mentioned, the tiles are on top of concrete, so there's no plywood or
CDX subfloor or anything like that...

PQ

Posted to rec.woodworking
mike

test

Posted to rec.woodworking
mike

test

Lamello Dosicol glue applicator zug Woodworking 11 December 23rd 05 06:11 AM
To use hide glue? [email protected] Woodworking 24 November 14th 05 12:55 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
If glue is stronger than the wood, do you need to use screws when attaching legs to a table? YJJim Woodworking 3 December 18th 03 03:29 PM
Segmented Bowl Glue Line Creep Ken Vickery Woodturning 2 September 20th 03 01:38 PM