Posted to rec.woodworking
jaf

Default what type of wood is it

i have this wood flooring and all the info i get from the wood stamp is

Stand
S grn (N)
W Hem 114
Can you help me
Jaf

Posted to rec.woodworking
darkon

jaf wrote:

i have this wood flooring and all the info i get from the wood
stamp is

Stand
S grn (N)
W Hem 114
Can you help me

Obviously the person with the lumber stamp is suffering from depression
and needs a psychologist.
Posted to rec.woodworking

jaf:

Just a guess here.... probably your wood is an off white/pine looking
color. I haven't seen all the markings lumber folks use, and surely
haven't seen all of them older than when I started many years ago.

I do remember framing houses/apts. in '73, before all the stamps were
standardized.

I am thinking that your flooring was probably not flooring at all when
it started its life, but probably wound up that way.

Stand = stand cut/dried

S grn (N) = sun dried green or sanded green to nominal dimension

W Hem 114 = Hemlock, probably a type of designation following

It sounds like your floor was framing lumber at one time. We used to
get those nasty hem/fir mix studs and 1X4s in great numbers years and
years ago.

However, when we got the good stuff from Canada, we framed with wood
that was almost #1 beautiful, and I made a lot of pine pieces out of
the really pretty stuff. It is certainly conceivable (except if it was
green) that the wood you got was simply made into flooring by an end
user (like me!).

Tell us the dimensions of your lumber, and the appearance of it, as
well as the approximate age. SOMEONE here will KNOW what these marks
are.

Good luck

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Houseman

In article ,
darkon wrote:

jaf wrote:

i have this wood flooring and all the info i get from the wood
stamp is

Stand
S grn (N)
W Hem 114
Can you help me

Obviously the person with the lumber stamp is suffering from depression
and needs a psychologist.

Stand = standard grade
S grn = surfaced green (over 19% moisture)
(N) = Canadian Origin for the lumber
W Hem = West Coast Grown Hemlock (western hemlock Tsuga heterophylla)
114 = Timber grade (over 5 inches thick)

Sources: West Coast Lumber Inspection Bureau - US Lumber Grading
Standards, Carpentry and Building Construction Third Edition

Posted to rec.woodworking
darkon

Doug Houseman wrote:

In article ,
darkon wrote:

jaf wrote:

i have this wood flooring and all the info i get from the wood
stamp is

Stand
S grn (N)
W Hem 114
Can you help me

Obviously the person with the lumber stamp is suffering from
depression and needs a psychologist.

Stand = standard grade
S grn = surfaced green (over 19% moisture)
(N) = Canadian Origin for the lumber
W Hem = West Coast Grown Hemlock (western hemlock Tsuga
heterophylla) 114 = Timber grade (over 5 inches thick)

Sources: West Coast Lumber Inspection Bureau - US Lumber Grading
Standards, Carpentry and Building Construction Third Edition

Sure, ruin my joke with ugly brutish facts.

I'm not the OP, but even so, I appreciate the information. Thanks!