Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike in Arkansas

Default Best wood for picket fence in Eugene, OR

Daughter wants me to build a traditional painted picket fence around
the front of her house in Eugene. Here in Arkansas I have used clear
pine for pickets on the one fence I build several years ago. Price vs
quality what's the best wood to use in OR? Of course price matters but
I want a sturdy long lasting fence. Might not mind a few small tight
knots that could be sealed. Pretty unaquainted with lumber or lumber
prices in that area. Going to need between 150 to 200 pickets 3 feet
long. Suggestions appreciated Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat

Best? Redwood.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:27:23 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pat" quickly quoth:

Best? Redwood.

Right, heart redwood, followed by red cedar (also locally available),
or imported cypress. The red cedar would be my choice since I don't
have the deep pockets required for heart redwood.

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Also check out treated wood for price comparison. Redwood is best, but
a real budget buster. I put up 240' ft. of fence 4 years ago, but left
it natural. It takes a coat of clear sealer every two years for
maintenance. Properly sealed & exterior latex will probably last
longer.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Mike in Arkansas wrote:
Daughter wants me to build a traditional painted picket fence around
the front of her house in Eugene. Here in Arkansas I have used clear
pine for pickets on the one fence I build several years ago. Price vs
quality what's the best wood to use in OR? Of course price matters but
I want a sturdy long lasting fence. Might not mind a few small tight
knots that could be sealed. Pretty unaquainted with lumber or lumber
prices in that area. Going to need between 150 to 200 pickets 3 feet
long. Suggestions appreciated Mike

If you are going to paint the fence, the cheapest may be SPF (probably
doug fir). Also be sure to mount the posts on galv steel mounts set in
concrete. Nothing should be in contact with standing water or soil.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On 20 Dec 2005 16:40:26 -0800, "Mike in Arkansas" wrote:

Daughter wants me to build a traditional painted picket fence around
the front of her house in Eugene. Here in Arkansas I have used clear
pine for pickets on the one fence I build several years ago. Price vs
quality what's the best wood to use in OR? Of course price matters but
I want a sturdy long lasting fence. Might not mind a few small tight
knots that could be sealed. Pretty unaquainted with lumber or lumber
prices in that area. Going to need between 150 to 200 pickets 3 feet
long. Suggestions appreciated Mike

Mike.. In California, the #1 choice for most fencing is redwood..

Since we get most of our redwood from Oregon, I'd think it's the same there..

OTOH, if she really has her heart set on painting it, (most folks in my area
stain redwood fences), You could use any construction grade fir I'd guess..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike in Arkansas

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Since it would be painted, I was
actually thinking along the lines of a construction type wood
relatively free of knots. Just not sure what to specify at the local
supplier.
Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Mike in Arkansas wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Since it would be painted, I was
actually thinking along the lines of a construction type wood
relatively free of knots. Just not sure what to specify at the local
supplier.
Mike

Mike,
If you walk into a left coast lumber yard with a list that contains
stuff like tubafors, forbafors, slats, and the like, you'll probably get
doug fir. If you want redwood, cedar, or whatever, you need to specify
it. If you want maple or even pine, lotsa luck. That's special order
stuff unless you are in a hardwood lumber store.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On 21 Dec 2005 11:08:20 -0800, "Mike in Arkansas" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Since it would be painted, I was
actually thinking along the lines of a construction type wood
relatively free of knots. Just not sure what to specify at the local
supplier.
Mike

Mike.. I'd just go to a lumber yard (they have real ones up there) and ask one
of the folks for suggestions... you're not going to buy it at home and bring it
with you, anyway...

I used to try and find someone at the lumber yard that looked older than me to
ask for advice... now that not many folks look older than me, I settle for
someone who looks knowledgeable.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually, you're probably gonna get that crap the big orange box calls
hem-fir... which is almost always soaking wet, twisted hemlock. You
gotta work to get doug-fir.

Redwood is uncommon in Oregon, but cedar is easy to get anywhere you
go. And most of the cedar fences in my area are left unfinished, and
weather to a silver-gray.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Mike in Arkansas wrote:
Daughter wants me to build a traditional painted picket fence around
the front of her house in Eugene. Here in Arkansas I have used clear
pine for pickets on the one fence I build several years ago. Price vs
quality what's the best wood to use in OR? Of course price matters but
I want a sturdy long lasting fence. Might not mind a few small tight
knots that could be sealed. Pretty unaquainted with lumber or lumber
prices in that area. Going to need between 150 to 200 pickets 3 feet
long. Suggestions appreciated Mike

Hi Mike
MIKES bargain barn on HW 99 has some wood that would work for the
pickets, or there is a redwood outlet on west 11th if you wanted to use
that. If you like I can check out MIKE's next week when I go over that way.

--

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike in Arkansas

Richard, I would certainly like to know what Mike's has and prices If
it's not too much trouble. Don't go out of your way as I'm not sure
when this project will get started. Might be months and I can always
send my daughter over to ask around now that I know about it. Turns
out Mike's bargain center isn't far from her house which is on Monroe
down by Butte Park and the rose gardens. Gotta love mapquest. Do you
know if the redwood outlet have a web site? You have some nice
pictures and good looking work in your gallery. Nice boxes and
carvings and a good planer bed idea.
Thanks
Mike