Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Lifespan of a miter saw?

My ryobi cms is making grinding noises when it stops. I called customer
service. They said the motor reverses for a short time when it stops and
that is very rough on the brushes and gearbox. Either could be going bad.
He said that the normal life would vary between 6 months for a production
shop to 6 years for a casual homeowner; so my 2 years for a dilettante
woodworker was probably about right.

Does this make sense? Would a better brand hold up better? I think I have
just found another argument for a RAS.

BTW, anyone know how to check the brushes on a Ryobi CMS? Looks like I will
either have to take it all apart or just use it until the grinding stops
permanently.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Toller" wrote in message
My ryobi cms is making grinding noises when it stops. I called customer
service. They said the motor reverses for a short time when it stops and
that is very rough on the brushes and gearbox. Either could be going bad.
He said that the normal life would vary between 6 months for a production
shop to 6 years for a casual homeowner; so my 2 years for a dilettante
woodworker was probably about right.

Does this make sense? Would a better brand hold up better? I think I
have just found another argument for a RAS.

BTW, anyone know how to check the brushes on a Ryobi CMS? Looks like I
will either have to take it all apart or just use it until the grinding
stops permanently.

I quit using my Delta regularly about 5 years ago. I do not miss the
friggin noise, especially when the brake kicks in.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

This is unreasonably short. If that is all they say their tool is good for,
it would be much cheaper in the long run to buy a more expensive but better
saw.
"Toller" wrote in message
My ryobi cms is making grinding noises when it stops. I called customer
service. They said the motor reverses for a short time when it stops and
that is very rough on the brushes and gearbox. Either could be going bad.
He said that the normal life would vary between 6 months for a production
shop to 6 years for a casual homeowner; so my 2 years for a dilettante
woodworker was probably about right.

Does this make sense? Would a better brand hold up better? I think I

have
just found another argument for a RAS.

BTW, anyone know how to check the brushes on a Ryobi CMS? Looks like I

will
either have to take it all apart or just use it until the grinding stops
permanently.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Toller" wrote in message

He said that the normal life would vary between 6 months for a production
shop to 6 years for a casual homeowner; so my 2 years for a dilettante
woodworker was probably about right.

That is rather pathetic, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Does this make sense? Would a better brand hold up better? I think I
have just found another argument for a RAS.

IMO, you found an argument not to buy Ryobi tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Toller wrote:
My ryobi cms is making grinding noises when it stops. I called customer
service. They said the motor reverses for a short time when it stops and
that is very rough on the brushes and gearbox. Either could be going bad.
He said that the normal life would vary between 6 months for a production
shop to 6 years for a casual homeowner; so my 2 years for a dilettante
woodworker was probably about right.

Does this make sense? Would a better brand hold up better? I think I have
just found another argument for a RAS.

BTW, anyone know how to check the brushes on a Ryobi CMS? Looks like Iwill
either have to take it all apart or just use it until the grinding stops
permanently.

I bought my Delta CMS around 1990 -- I think -- can't remember any more.

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
John

Ryobi (a.k.a Home Depot) tools are, to be kind, not exactly long-lived.
Without getting into whether what their customer service department said
was true, the lifespan of their tools is measured in months, not years.
They will not stand up to anything but casual use in my personal experience.

If you're going to buy a RAS then pick up an older used Delta, Craftsman
or DeWalt. With a little work on your part they'll last a second
lifetime and then some. I own one (a Craftsman) and have restored
DeWalts for neighbors, and if they were not abused by their former
owners they run as good as the day they were made.

J.

Toller wrote:

My ryobi cms is making grinding noises when it stops. I called customer
service. They said the motor reverses for a short time when it stops and
that is very rough on the brushes and gearbox

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Toller" wrote in message
My ryobi cms is making grinding noises when it stops. I called customer
service. They said the motor reverses for a short time when it stops and
that is very rough on the brushes and gearbox. Either could be going bad.
He said that the normal life would vary between 6 months for a production
shop to 6 years for a casual homeowner; so my 2 years for a dilettante
woodworker was probably about right.

Does this make sense? Would a better brand hold up better? I think I
have just found another argument for a RAS.

OSHA loves brakes, and you don't have another choice than to rip the brushes
on a universal motor. Another brand may have better bearings to take the
strain, but the brushes are going to go anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rumpty

Obviously you really want/need a DeWalt RAS, but in before your DeWalt
arrives, try replacing the brushes.

Rumpty

"Toller" wrote in message
My ryobi cms is making grinding noises when it stops. I called customer
service. They said the motor reverses for a short time when it stops and
that is very rough on the brushes and gearbox. Either could be going bad.
He said that the normal life would vary between 6 months for a production
shop to 6 years for a casual homeowner; so my 2 years for a dilettante
woodworker was probably about right.

Does this make sense? Would a better brand hold up better? I think I
have just found another argument for a RAS.

BTW, anyone know how to check the brushes on a Ryobi CMS? Looks like I
will either have to take it all apart or just use it until the grinding
stops permanently.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 03:21:14 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

BTW, anyone know how to check the brushes on a Ryobi CMS? Looks like I will
either have to take it all apart or just use it until the grinding stops
permanently.

Not familiar with Ryobi, but think all these universal motored CM
saws about the same. You should have two screw plugs, probably
plastic and the same color as your motor housing toward the back end
of the motor. Take then out and you should have access to the
brushes. normally they would just slide out (have a spring attached
to them to keep them in contact with the commutator. However, with
the electric brakes that they put on these things, they tend to get
welded in the motor housing slots and you may have to pick them out.
then you have to clean up the slot so that a new brush will get past
the old carbon weld marks in the slot. If you are lucky, the
commutator is not scorched and you can get by changing the brushes.

Many times the brushes are not fully worn out they just get stuck by
the carbon welding mentioned above. when that happens they can't
contact the commutator and your machine gets noisy and finally will
only work intermittantly, then not at all.

I don't like electric brakes.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg

Toller wrote:

He said that the normal life would vary between 6 months for a production
shop to 6 years for a casual homeowner; so my 2 years for a dilettante
woodworker was probably about right.

That's funny,6 months! I knew there was a reason I don't own a Ryobi
anything. I can't believe a company would admit to such garbage. The funny
thing is this company will probably be around for 100 years because of
weekend warrior support. It's come down to disposalable tools now. Know
wonder we use 75% of the worlds resources, it's companies like this that
support the waste.

Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Frank Boettcher said:

I don't like electric brakes.

Hey, we agree on something!
A band clutch pleases me more - but costs a little more to implement.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:31:00 -0500, Greg wrote:

Frank Boettcher said:

I don't like electric brakes.

Hey, we agree on something!

I'm not surprised.

A band clutch pleases me more - but costs a little more to implement.

Actually, for all these little machines with relatively light blades,
I would prefer no brake, but we are long past the day when that is
possible.

Frank

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking
max

I had a Dewalt 12 sliding and used it heavily for 7 or 8 years including
some time in a pro shop. I sold it and bought the Hitachi sliding 10 inch
and it is being used exclusively in a pro shop for the last 7 years. No
problems. Ryobi no longer makes good tolls.max

"Toller" wrote in message
My ryobi cms is making grinding noises when it stops. I called customer
service. They said the motor reverses for a short time when it stops and
that is very rough on the brushes and gearbox. Either could be going bad.
He said that the normal life would vary between 6 months for a production
shop to 6 years for a casual homeowner; so my 2 years for a dilettante
woodworker was probably about right.

Does this make sense? Would a better brand hold up better? I think I
have just found another argument for a RAS.

BTW, anyone know how to check the brushes on a Ryobi CMS? Looks like I
will either have to take it all apart or just use it until the grinding
stops permanently.

I quit using my Delta regularly about 5 years ago. I do not miss the
friggin noise, especially when the brake kicks in.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Frank Boettcher said:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:31:00 -0500, Greg wrote:

A band clutch pleases me more - but costs a little more to implement.

Actually, for all these little machines with relatively light blades,
I would prefer no brake, but we are long past the day when that is
possible.

I understand - but a good 12" blade can still freewheel for a bit.
Since they all seem to have brakes these days, at least if a band
brake fails, you can generally still use the saw. Much preferable to
an abused motor. Of course, those so inclined could always disable
the electronic brake... ;-)

Just wondering, are blade brakes required on CMS's to achieve UL/CSA
approval?

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:21:31 -0500, Greg wrote:

Frank Boettcher said:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:31:00 -0500, Greg wrote:

A band clutch pleases me more - but costs a little more to implement.

Actually, for all these little machines with relatively light blades,
I would prefer no brake, but we are long past the day when that is
possible.

I understand - but a good 12" blade can still freewheel for a bit.
Since they all seem to have brakes these days, at least if a band
brake fails, you can generally still use the saw. Much preferable to
an abused motor. Of course, those so inclined could always disable
the electronic brake... ;-)

Just wondering, are blade brakes required on CMS's to achieve UL/CSA
approval?

Greg G.

Honestly don't know. My location did not make any CMS's although they
were actually invented (straight miter box) at the location prior to
my being part of the Company. Long gone by the time I got there, all
outsourced to the far east.

might have been originally initiated by OSHA.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Greg G." wrote in message
Frank Boettcher said:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:31:00 -0500, Greg wrote:

A band clutch pleases me more - but costs a little more to implement.

Actually, for all these little machines with relatively light blades,
I would prefer no brake, but we are long past the day when that is
possible.

I understand - but a good 12" blade can still freewheel for a bit.
Since they all seem to have brakes these days, at least if a band
brake fails, you can generally still use the saw. Much preferable to
an abused motor. Of course, those so inclined could always disable
the electronic brake... ;-)

Just wondering, are blade brakes required on CMS's to achieve UL/CSA
approval?

Ryobi said they are required by OSHA.

Posted to rec.woodworking
B Crawford

I have a very old low end B&D mitre saw made in Germany & shortly after the
warrantee expired, the trigger switch broke, ending the electric brake
function. I see this now as a blessing in disguise b/c this saw is over 25
years old & has seen lots of service -brushes yet to be replaced (cleaned-up
a few times mind you).
Also have a 10" Ryobi thickness planer over 20 years old & aside from
replacing blades several times & scuffing up the rubber feed roller from
time to time, it still planes just like the day I got it.
BCinBC