Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Default Finish Nailers

I've heard that I might as well just get a Harbor Freight special,
since they're all fundamentally the same. Any thoughts on 15 v. 16
gauge? Thanks.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've heard that I might as well just get a Harbor Freight special,
since they're all fundamentally the same. Any thoughts on 15 v. 16
gauge? Thanks.

Basically very little difference but the 15 is going to grip slightly better
and be a bit less likely to deflect with all things being equal.
Which nails can you get more readily or which is nail is cheaper?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Leon wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've heard that I might as well just get a Harbor Freight special,
since they're all fundamentally the same. Any thoughts on 15 v. 16
gauge? Thanks.

Basically very little difference but the 15 is going to grip slightly better
and be a bit less likely to deflect with all things being equal.
Which nails can you get more readily or which is nail is cheaper?

My gut would be 16's are cheaper but tougher to get. I saw a review
that said the Hitachi, Dewalt and Botstitch were rated the best. These
3 are in the $200 range new though. HF is looking more and more
appealing.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...

My gut would be 16's are cheaper but tougher to get.

I would think cheaper if you can get both at the same store. If you have to
drive a distance over 10 or so miles to get the smaller nail it may end up
costing more.

I saw a review
that said the Hitachi, Dewalt and Botstitch were rated the best. These
3 are in the $200 range new though. HF is looking more and more
appealing.

I am partial to Senco.. still more money. With the more expensive models
you get a more comfortable grip, better guards, some are oilless, "a plus
IMHO", built to last, easier to adjust, "sometimes with out tools",
typically fewer jams and easier to clear when you get them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
"Jay Pique" wrote:

I've heard that I might as well just get a Harbor Freight special,
since they're all fundamentally the same. Any thoughts on 15 v. 16
gauge? Thanks.

JP

I'm a Paslode snob. I also like the Senco wide crown (Upholstery)
staplers. I have a 16 ga Paslode finish nailer that has been through a
bezillion 1-1/4" nails. I replaced the bumper-O-ring thing and all
looked well inside. Of course, I oil it every clip of nails I put in it.
I kept that one when I sold my business, because the newer Palode (The
green hammer-tone paintjobs) didn't fit me as well as the old style.
For brad nailer (18 ga) I use a Porter Cable. It came with my pancake
compressor (I needed portable air for my vacuum clamps) I am quite fond
of the Porter Cable brad nailer.
I also have a 'Superior' (read off shore cheapo) narrow crown stapler
which serves me well the few times I need it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch

"Jay Pique" wrote in
oups.com:

Leon wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've heard that I might as well just get a Harbor Freight special,
since they're all fundamentally the same. Any thoughts on 15 v. 16
gauge? Thanks.

Basically very little difference but the 15 is going to grip slightly
better and be a bit less likely to deflect with all things being
equal. Which nails can you get more readily or which is nail is
cheaper?

My gut would be 16's are cheaper but tougher to get. I saw a review
that said the Hitachi, Dewalt and Botstitch were rated the best.
These 3 are in the $200 range new though. HF is looking more and more
appealing.

JP

I bought a Porter Cable 16 ga at the Orange BORG for maybe $159 or so, last
summer. And 5000 nails/brads/whatever.

Works fine.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On 19 Dec 2005 17:55:22 -0800, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

I've heard that I might as well just get a Harbor Freight special,
since they're all fundamentally the same. Any thoughts on 15 v. 16
gauge? Thanks.

JP

I initially got a PC FN250B 16 ga. with a length range of 3/4" to
2-1/2" . good nailer but requried an adapter change to switch from
short (less than 1-1/4") to long. I got tired of doing that and
bought a PC DA250B 15 ga. Now use the 15 for long and leave the 16
set up for short.

both are good nailers. just trimmed out a Habitat house using both at
a high cycle rate. No jams or problems.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS

Hi Rob,
You say a oil every clip? How much oil. My manuals for my oilers do not
mention how much or how often. Thanks, JG

Robatoy wrote:

In article .com,
"Jay Pique" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
JGS wrote:

Hi Rob,
You say a oil every clip? How much oil. My manuals for my oilers do not
mention how much or how often. Thanks, JG

Just a couple of small drops. The hard part was to find a dispenser that
would let me dribble a couple of drops only. I finally found a small
plastic glue bottle that worked well.
I tried oilers as well, but they're messy things as they lubricate the
hoses too.

Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Home Repair 9 April 28th 04 05:45 PM
Mark Shafer's oil-beeswax gel finish (mini-review) B a r r y Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 11:33 AM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 02:28 AM
"Dulling" a shellac finish Tim Schubach Woodworking 6 October 13th 03 06:22 AM