Posted to rec.woodworking
Mr.Licon

Default Starting a Project need real advise

I am about to start refinishing my bed. It's made of solid wood (a
light wood, not sure what kind) and is about 25 to 35 years old. It
currently has a very light finish on it (more of a pine look) however I
would like to put a much darker stain on it before I'm done. Any
suggestions on where or how I should start? Any links or resources,
maybe with a step-by-step? Anything at all would be great! Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Mr.Licon wrote:
I am about to start refinishing my bed. It's made of solid wood (a
light wood, not sure what kind) and is about 25 to 35 years old. It
currently has a very light finish on it (more of a pine look) however I
would like to put a much darker stain on it before I'm done. Any
suggestions on where or how I should start? Any links or resources,
maybe with a step-by-step? Anything at all would be great! Thanks!

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...03&cat=1,46096

Understanding Wood Finishing
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...096,46103&ap=1

That's one I like.

Well worth the time and trouble since we cannot identify your underlying
finish etc.

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

Sounds like this may be your first. This is a large project and not
recommended to be a "learning curve" project.

For links and resources, do a web search looking for "wood refinishing".
You should find many hits.

The present finish needs to be removed. You can use a finish remover, or
sand.

I would expect your bed has a number of nooks and crannies, lots of edges,
etc. With a complex item like this sanding is takes a lot of time.
Consider investing in one of the sanders designed to get into corners. Make
sure it is random orbit or you will not be happy to see scratches across the
grain.

Finish removers may be easier, and can remove the surface finish. If there
is existing stain, this can be more difficult to remove without sanding.

Finish removers do not open the pores as sanding, and so re-staining may
require use of a gel stain if the wood is still sealed.

Applying a top coat after staining can be done in a variety of ways :
a) Wax.
b) Shellac
c) Oil based polyurethane applied via hand wipe, brush or spray
d) Acryllic (water based "varnish") applied via brush or spray.
e) Hand rubbed oil, e.g., tung, danish, watco. Many brands.

The water based acryllic coatings do not add any colour, but are easy to
apply. They also do not add bring out the grain like wax/shellac/oil based
poly/oil.

Personally I hate the removal step in re-finished assembled items. Too time
consuming. Applying new topcoats is the easy part. When I make items I try
to apply the finish to the components before I assemble since they are
easier to prepare/sand, etc.

Dave Paine.

"Mr.Licon" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to start refinishing my bed. It's made of solid wood (a
light wood, not sure what kind) and is about 25 to 35 years old. It
currently has a very light finish on it (more of a pine look) however I
would like to put a much darker stain on it before I'm done. Any
suggestions on where or how I should start? Any links or resources,
maybe with a step-by-step? Anything at all would be great! Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Mr.Licon" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to start refinishing my bed. It's made of solid wood (a
light wood, not sure what kind) and is about 25 to 35 years old. It
currently has a very light finish on it (more of a pine look) however I
would like to put a much darker stain on it before I'm done. Any
suggestions on where or how I should start? Any links or resources,
maybe with a step-by-step? Anything at all would be great! Thanks!

You have chosen a miserable project.
Assuming the existing finish is in perfect condition, consider just putting
Minwax Polyshades over it. It is a half step from simply painting it, but
is really easy. Presumably the wood doesn't look like much anyhow.

Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

Search at www.homesteadfinishing.com and look around at
www.refinishwizard.com for starters.

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:00:42 -0500, "Tyke" wrote:

For links and resources, do a web search looking for "wood refinishing".
You should find many hits.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mr.Licon

Thank you very much for the replies! The bed is actually quite smooth.
Not to many nooks and crannies. I believe the current finish is worn in
different areas, and I am worried about a finish remover damahing the
wood. Also, what is the trick to a nice dark color? Like a dark cherry
or deep brown?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mr.Licon

Thank you!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mr.Licon

Thank you!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mr.Licon

How could I identify my underlying finish etc. I would like to take the
best approach to this.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Bud

Also, what is the trick to a nice dark color?

Making the bed out of Cherry to begin with, and letting it get darker
naturally.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

That is covered in Flexners book (the one cited). I too think that it is an
excellent resource.

oups.com...