Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Default Lee Valley stores: London or Burlington?

Our Christmas travels this year will be taking us from central New York
to northern Michigan, through the fine province of Ontario. I think I
can convince SWMBO that a stop at Lee Valley is absolutely necessary,
and I see on their website that they have stores in Burlington and
London, neither of which would be very far out of the way. I was
wondering if any friendly Canadian wRECkers (or traveling US-ians) had
been to both stores, and could comment on which is bigger, nicer,
whatever.
I'm pretty excited to drool over real tools (Mmmm... low-angle block
plane...) and not just pictures in a catalog. Also, any ideas on
whether I'd be better off in terms of the exchange rate using US cash
at the store, a credit card at the store, or just ordering from the
catalog?
Thanks for your opinions,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
AL

I can't comment on the two locations you asked about, but I've been to the
one in Toronto (on Steeles). All their nice tools were in glass cabinets
and I could only stare/drool at a safe distance. Also I'm not sure if all
stores accept US $.

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Andy" wrote in message
wondering if any friendly Canadian wRECkers (or traveling US-ians) had
been to both stores, and could comment on which is bigger, nicer,
whatever.

I haven't been to either of those stores, but I have been to both stores in
Toronto. I think you'll find a great deal of stuff out on display if they're
anything like Toronto, although smaller stuff is usually in a display case.
Anytime that's happened and I wanted to examine something closely, I'd put
it down on the order form, examine it when it was brought out and then
decide if I wanted to buy it. There's never been any kind of criticism when
I've done that. I'm positive you *won't* be disappointed whichever store you
go to. Allow yourself enough time to thoroughly browse around.

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

AL wrote:
I can't comment on the two locations you asked about, but I've been to the
one in Toronto (on Steeles). All their nice tools were in glass cabinets
and I could only stare/drool at a safe distance. Also I'm not sure if all
stores accept US $.

It's easy to find somebody to demo something and to let you fondle -- er
I mean test -- a plane or whatever.

Most people at the stores seem to consider their work to be a charitable
service for other "deprived" woodworkers. Lee Valley gets most of their
salary money back in tool sales -- so you are likely to meet another
wood addict anyway.

oups.com...

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ

I do not know about Burlington, but I drool a lot in the one in London.

--
PDQ

--
"Andy" wrote in message oups.com...
| Our Christmas travels this year will be taking us from central New York
| to northern Michigan, through the fine province of Ontario. I think I
| can convince SWMBO that a stop at Lee Valley is absolutely necessary,
| and I see on their website that they have stores in Burlington and
| London, neither of which would be very far out of the way. I was
| wondering if any friendly Canadian wRECkers (or traveling US-ians) had
| been to both stores, and could comment on which is bigger, nicer,
| whatever.
| I'm pretty excited to drool over real tools (Mmmm... low-angle block
| plane...) and not just pictures in a catalog. Also, any ideas on
| whether I'd be better off in terms of the exchange rate using US cash
| at the store, a credit card at the store, or just ordering from the
| catalog?
| Thanks for your opinions,
| Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our Christmas travels this year will be taking us from central New York
to northern Michigan, through the fine province of Ontario. I think I
can convince SWMBO that a stop at Lee Valley is absolutely necessary,
and I see on their website that they have stores in Burlington and
London, neither of which would be very far out of the way. I was
wondering if any friendly Canadian wRECkers (or traveling US-ians) had
been to both stores, and could comment on which is bigger, nicer,
whatever.
I'm pretty excited to drool over real tools (Mmmm... low-angle block
plane...) and not just pictures in a catalog. Also, any ideas on
whether I'd be better off in terms of the exchange rate using US cash
at the store, a credit card at the store, or just ordering from the
catalog?

Wise choice of routes. Staying north of the lakes in snowtime is the best
choice. I once got caught running south near Buffalo in a storm so bad that
the churches were canceling bingo, so I know of whereof I speak.

Anyone will take bucks. They will also take credit cards, but a lot of
those have a new revenue source - currency conversion fees. Used to be the
best choice, now costs more. Would be nice if the store could pretend it
was in the US the way the mail order place does, and take the card without
the fee.

Carry cash and make it a charge if they can do it with no conversion.

How far north? Taking big Mac to the better part?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

On 16/12/2005 2:09 AM, AL wrote:

I can't comment on the two locations you asked about, but I've been to the
one in Toronto (on Steeles). All their nice tools were in glass cabinets
and I could only stare/drool at a safe distance. Also I'm not sure if all
stores accept US $.

Most of the stores are similar (I've been to several, including both of
those, plus Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto, and am much the poorer for it
:-) I've find the store staff to be very helpful, and they'll get
anything out of a glass cabinet for fondling, if you ask. Any of 'em
will be packed at this time of year.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robin Lee

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Burlington is larger/newer.... but both will be busy! I'd pick whichever one
is closest to your route (store maps are on our website). Be sure to check
holiday hours/dates too.... we don't open Sunday's!

You'll get a good exchange rate at either....we change rates regularly.

Cheers -

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
"Andy" wrote:

a stop at Lee Valley is absolutely necessary

That is Step 1.

After that, the rest is easy.

Learn these very useful phrases: (a Canadian accent is not required, the
language of tool love is universal.)

"This is only $ 8.98 and ohhhsoooo handy!"
"I don't know how did without this all these years."
"What a clever gadget, my work will be so much more accurate if I had one of
these."

Then, when you hand in your slip with your list of items that you 'need' (wink,
wink) make sure you write on there that's you're an American...that way, they
will give you change in our special currency: Canadian Tire Money.

If you stay out of the garden and kitchen departments, you can get out of the
store for under $5000.00 on your first visit. And yes, you CAN carry $ 5000.00
worth of stuff in one walk to the car. They will also give you a catalogue. Read
it in the parking lot, go back in and drop another couple of K.

There should be an immigration lawyer on staff to help fill out the forms you'll
need in order to move to Canada so you can experience that Lee Valley shopping
goodness at any time. I must warn you that all real estate within walking
distance of a Lee Valley store fetches premium prices.

You have been warned.
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT

Most Canadian banks will exchange US money at a fairly reasonable rate,
while not the best you can find it will be better than the credit card
companies charge. The other plus, in Canada you will find a bank branch on
most busy corners shared with gas stations and donut shops.

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

"EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM writes:

Most Canadian banks will exchange US money at a fairly reasonable rate,
while not the best you can find it will be better than the credit card
companies charge. The other plus, in Canada you will find a bank branch on
most busy corners shared with gas stations and donut shops.

The US to Canadian exchange rate is now so bad that you could almost just
give them one US dollar for every Canadian one.

I just looked this up today for something else and was shocked to see that
it would take 90 cents American to buy a Canadian dollar after fees.

Brian Elfert
Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Brian Elfert wrote:
"EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM writes:

Most Canadian banks will exchange US money at a fairly reasonable rate,
while not the best you can find it will be better than the credit card
companies charge. The other plus, in Canada you will find a bank branchon
most busy corners shared with gas stations and donut shops.

The US to Canadian exchange rate is now so bad that you could almost just
give them one US dollar for every Canadian one.

You do mean _good_ -- don't you?

I just looked this up today for something else and was shocked to see that
it would take 90 cents American to buy a Canadian dollar after fees.

Life is simply unfolding as it should.

Goods from the frozen north are worth a considerable premium after all!
Our northern elves work very hard and are very quality conscious. Don't
even think of it as a premium -- just the fair value.

An exchange table is at the bottom of the screen. I guess it depends on
which money changer you use.

http://kitco.com/

Merry Christmas!

Brian Elfert

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.woodworking
Highspeed

I am a regular at the Burlington store. I like it a lot however they
recently put all the planes into glass cabinets and moved their stuff
around. As everone else said you just need to ask to see stuff. I have
never been to any other Lee Valley but I think for an American you should
experience whenever you are near one!! If you need "Exotic Wood" they are
around the corner from the Burlington store as well (no affiliation). Enjoy
your trip to Canada.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Andy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Highspeed" wrote in message
I am a regular at the Burlington store. I like it a lot however they
recently put all the planes into glass cabinets and moved their stuff
around. As everone else said you just need to ask to see stuff. I have
never been to any other Lee Valley but I think for an American you should
experience whenever you are near one!! If you need "Exotic Wood" they are
around the corner from the Burlington store as well (no affiliation).
Enjoy your trip to Canada.

What is Exotic Wood?
I pass through Burlington a few times a year.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Toller" wrote

What is Exotic Wood?

It is the rilly, rilly, rilly expensive stuff.

It is often pretty too.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Daly

On 16-Dec-2005, "Andy" wrote:

I see on their website that they have stores in Burlington and
London, neither of which would be very far out of the way.

If you are coming from east of Toronto and are heading to London, the Burlington
store will be out of your way. If you're coming up through Niagara Falls, then
Burlington will be only be a bit out of your way. If you're taking the scenic route
through the area, then it doesn't matter much.

The Burlington store is the one I go to most often. All of the stores I've been to
are pretty much the same. You won't see aisles and aisles of stuff, but rather a
display area with one of almost everything. When you know what you want, you
fill out an order form and take it to a counter where the order is filled from the
warehouse in back.

Don't worry about the money - you can exchange US$ for CDN$ at any bank.
Major credit cards are international. Bank exchange rates are reasonable;
the currency exchange places are slightly better in downtown Toronto (the
financial district). You won't find a currency exchange place easily in
Burlington but might in London. Unless you're spending an enormous amount
of money, exchanging at a bank and swallowing the extra fraction of a percent
will be a lot easier.

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:47:48 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Toller" wrote

What is Exotic Wood?

It is the rilly, rilly, rilly expensive stuff.
It is often pretty too.

Not to mention occasionally very toxic to breathe or have contact with.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Toller" wrote

What is Exotic Wood?

It is the rilly, rilly, rilly expensive stuff.

I kinda meant the "Exotic Wood" in Burlington, that Highspeed referred to.

As long as we are on the subject of Burlington, I have a question OT for
anyone in the area.
I climb at Milton a few times a year, going out Appleby Line. It crosses
407, which would be shorter for me according to the map, but I have never
been able to figure out what it is. Is it a toll road of some sort? How do
you pay? How much is it?

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Michael Daly wrote:
On 16-Dec-2005, "Andy" wrote:

[...]

And I suspect that a American bank would give a better rate -- so they
can unload their exotic foreign currency...

The border areas always have shops that prey on tourists -- Kinda Like
Nogales, El Paso or Nuevo Laredo...

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Toller wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Toller" wrote

What is Exotic Wood?

It is the rilly, rilly, rilly expensive stuff.

I kinda meant the "Exotic Wood" in Burlington, that Highspeed referred to.

As long as we are on the subject of Burlington, I have a question OT for
anyone in the area.
I climb at Milton a few times a year, going out Appleby Line. It crosses
407, which would be shorter for me according to the map, but I have never
been able to figure out what it is. Is it a toll road of some sort? How do
you pay? How much is it?

407 Is a toll road. They will send you a bill by mail if you have an
out-of-province plate.

I think it is $2 per transaction plus Kilometerage... ( 1 Mile = 1.67 KM)

http://407etr.com/

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Toller wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Toller" wrote

What is Exotic Wood?

It is the rilly, rilly, rilly expensive stuff.

I kinda meant the "Exotic Wood" in Burlington, that Highspeed referred to.

As long as we are on the subject of Burlington, I have a question OT for
anyone in the area.
I climb at Milton a few times a year, going out Appleby Line. It crosses
407, which would be shorter for me according to the map, but I have never
been able to figure out what it is. Is it a toll road of some sort? How do
you pay? How much is it?

I forgot to mention they have a really good wine and beer store on
Appleby Line a bit south of the 407 (or maybe it is the next (east)
Line...) Anyway I think there used to be a cigar store -- You just have
to run the CIA line of agents taking notes for prosecuting under the
trading with the enemy act..

Have you hiked the Bruce Trail? If not Try the area near Meaford and
Owen Sound one year -- The apple orchards are nice in the fall as well.
Great area for holidaying... Cranberry Lodge in Collingwood is nice --
Just go up the 6 HWY and follow the 26 Hwy to a nice relaxing holiday.

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Andy wrote:
[...]

For those of you looking for a decent road map of Ontario -- see the
Official Road map page...

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/map/

Note that there are Co-ordinates beside the city names in the next links.

Just search for Burling on this page...
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/map/b.htm

London on this page.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/map/l.htm

407 Is a toll road. They will send you a bill by mail if you have an
out-of-province plate.

I think it is $2 per transaction plus Kilometerage... ( 1 Mile = 1.67 KM)

http://407etr.com/

Get a detailed City map at the border crossing areas -- just look for
the usual Tourist places.

Merry Christmas and welcome all. Have a safe and fun trip.

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

407 Is a toll road. They will send you a bill by mail if you have an

out-of-province plate.

I think it is $2 per transaction plus Kilometerage... ( 1 Mile = 1.67 KM)

Thanks. With a transponder it is not too bad, but $5 for 10km is absurd.

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Toller wrote:
407 Is a toll road. They will send you a bill by mail if you have an

out-of-province plate.

I think it is $2 per transaction plus Kilometerage... ( 1 Mile = 1.67KM)

Thanks. With a transponder it is not too bad, but $5 for 10km is absurd.

Check the map I posted on this thread...

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Michael Daly" wrote:

You won't find a currency exchange place easily in
Burlington but might in London.

If you take the QEW and cross the Welland Canal at St. Catherines, there is a
currency exchange right there.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"WillR" wrote in message

For those of you looking for a decent road map of Ontario -- see the
Official Road map page...

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/map/

When I want to go to a particular location, I usually map it out on Google
maps. The advantage is that you can zoom out or into any particular location
while be able to maintain the details.

http://maps.google.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Daly

On 16-Dec-2005, WillR wrote:

And I suspect that a American bank would give a better rate -- so they

can unload their exotic foreign currency...

American banks don't understand foreign currency. Finding a US bank
that will exchange can be a challenge unless you're in NYC's financial
district or a city right on the Canadian border. I wouldn't be optimistic
about a good exchange rate - they don't hang onto foreign currency and
ship it off to be exchanged quickly. When you do find a bank in the US that
has foreign currency, they don't usually have very much on hand.

The last time I tried to exchange a largish sum of money in the US ($600)
I was fingerprinted, photographed and my signature was faxed to the Canadian
bank I dealt with for verification!! That was at the Chase Manhattan headquarters
on Wall Street.

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking
Highspeed

The wood store is called "Exotic Woods" (http://www.exotic-woods.com)
it is just around the corner from the Lee Valley in Burlington. I go
there a lot as their prices are generally cheaper than A&M wood in
Cambridge. As for the 407, I am also a regular on that road, as I work
at the Airport in Toronto. To go from the 403 at the skyway to 403 and
Winston Churchill costs me about $3.50 with a transponder. If you
don't have a transponder then it gets very expensive in a hurry. If
you get on the road without a transponder you might as well ride it as
far as you can seeing as they will get you for the "non transponder"
fee. You can ride end to end (100Km) for around $15.00. Hope this
info is enough.

Lars

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Michael Daly" wrote:

You won't find a currency exchange place easily in
Burlington but might in London.

If you take the QEW and cross the Welland Canal at St. Catherines, there is a
currency exchange right there.

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Highspeed wrote:
The wood store is called "Exotic Woods" (http://www.exotic-woods.com)
it is just around the corner from the Lee Valley in Burlington. I go
there a lot as their prices are generally cheaper than A&M wood in
Cambridge. As for the 407, I am also a regular on that road, as I work
at the Airport in Toronto. To go from the 403 at the skyway to 403 and
Winston Churchill costs me about $3.50 with a transponder. If you
don't have a transponder then it gets very expensive in a hurry. If
you get on the road without a transponder you might as well ride it as
far as you can seeing as they will get you for the "non transponder"
fee. You can ride end to end (100Km) for around $15.00. Hope this
info is enough.

Lars

And of course these guys -- A&M Wood Specialty if you are on the 401
near Cambridge/Kitchener/Waterloo area anyway.

http://www.amwoodinc.com/canada/contactFrame.html

Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
"Michael Daly" wrote:

You won't find a currency exchange place easily in
Burlington but might in London.

If you take the QEW and cross the Welland Canal at St. Catherines, there is a
currency exchange right there.

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Houseman

Any Metro Detroit bank will handle the currency exchange, but you are
better off using AMTs to draw the money you need in the currency you
need - if you do not have strange cash already. At most banks you will
get roughly 70% of the value of the money in exchange after the
artificial exchange rate and the transaction fee and the commissions. At
the ATM you normally get about 95 to 97% of the value of the money.

If I have to change money, I do it on Bay Street in Toronto when I am
there or at the airport in Amsterdam, before I leave the international
area. These are the only two places I have found that have reasonable
fees and exchange rates. The returned value is normally in the 90% range.

I travel 51 weeks a year and do work in 31 countries. I have some cash
from most of them.

Doug

In article ,
"Michael Daly" wrote:

On 16-Dec-2005, WillR wrote:

And I suspect that a American bank would give a better rate -- so they

can unload their exotic foreign currency...

American banks don't understand foreign currency. Finding a US bank
that will exchange can be a challenge unless you're in NYC's financial
district or a city right on the Canadian border. I wouldn't be optimistic
about a good exchange rate - they don't hang onto foreign currency and
ship it off to be exchanged quickly. When you do find a bank in the US that
has foreign currency, they don't usually have very much on hand.

The last time I tried to exchange a largish sum of money in the US ($600)
I was fingerprinted, photographed and my signature was faxed to the Canadian
bank I dealt with for verification!! That was at the Chase Manhattan
headquarters
on Wall Street.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

On 16/12/2005 3:04 PM, WillR wrote:

407 Is a toll road. They will send you a bill by mail if you have an
out-of-province plate.

And even if you have an in-province plate :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

On 17/12/2005 7:59 AM, WillR wrote:

And of course these guys -- A&M Wood Specialty if you are on the 401
near Cambridge/Kitchener/Waterloo area anyway.

http://www.amwoodinc.com/canada/contactFrame.html

I gotta get in here with a plug for an acquaintance of mine, Andrew
Wainwright, and his place in Kitchener:

http://www.ajwlumber.com/

Nice kid (well, not really a kid any more, but still one to me). Check
it out if you're in the area.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Highspeed" wrote in message
ups.com...
The wood store is called "Exotic Woods" (http://www.exotic-woods.com)
it is just around the corner from the Lee Valley in Burlington. I go
there a lot as their prices are generally cheaper than A&M wood in
Cambridge.

Do they really have everything on their stocklist? That is incredible.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Highspeed

Well I can't say for sure, but I have yet to go for wood and walk away
empty handed!! Well, there was this one time I was looking for an off
cut and couldn't find one, but they sure have a great selection.

I can say the same for A&M wood in Cambridge but again they seem more
expensive for some things. Exotic Woods has a price list in store but
they have yet to update their website.

I have never heard of AJW but I will check them out now!! Thanks,

Lars

Toller wrote:
"Highspeed" wrote in message
ups.com...
The wood store is called "Exotic Woods" (http://www.exotic-woods.com)
it is just around the corner from the Lee Valley in Burlington. I go
there a lot as their prices are generally cheaper than A&M wood in
Cambridge.

Do they really have everything on their stocklist? That is incredible.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

On 17/12/2005 10:34 PM, Highspeed wrote:

I have never heard of AJW but I will check them out now!! Thanks,

He's not open 'regular' retail hours, so make sure you check before you
visit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

I have never heard of AJW but I will check them out now!! Thanks,

Now I am lost. What is AJW? I couldn't find it in the thread anywhere. I
thought my newreader was screwing up again, so I went to Google. It is not
there either.

What is AJW, and how did it get in the thread?

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Toller wrote:
I have never heard of AJW but I will check them out now!! Thanks,

Now I am lost. What is AJW? I couldn't find it in the thread anywhere. I
thought my newreader was screwing up again, so I went to Google. It isnot
there either.

What is AJW, and how did it get in the thread?

--------------------------------------
From Doug Payne...

-------------------------------

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:48:03 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I have never heard of AJW but I will check them out now!! Thanks,

Now I am lost. What is AJW? I couldn't find it in the thread anywhere. I
thought my newreader was screwing up again, so I went to Google. It is not
there either.

What is AJW, and how did it get in the thread?

Another example of why including context with posts is important.
Something may be buried in the details of a past post or the parent post
may not propagate to all news servers. Doesn't have to be (and shouldn't
be) a complete copy of the post, just enough to preserve the context of the
message.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robin Lee

"Toller" wrote in message

snip
..

Do they really have everything on their stocklist? That is incredible.

Hi Toller -

No, sorry to say that, as of 2 minutes ago, the Burlington store shows 153
catalogued items out of stock... but there's another 12,000+ that ARE in
stock.....

Cheers -

Rob