Posted to rec.woodworking
Mr Fed UP

Default Sister wants to sell a Walnut Tree?....

My sister living in Hampton Va wants to sell a large Walnut tree she has in
her yard.
She believes it not to be rotten in the middle but has no idea how to go
about selling it
or where to put an advert.
Any suggestions?

TIA Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Mr Fed UP" wrote in message
My sister living in Hampton Va wants to sell a large Walnut tree she has
in her yard.
She believes it not to be rotten in the middle but has no idea how to go
about selling it
or where to put an advert.
Any suggestions?

TIA Gary

Try a local mill, small or large, to see if they're interested. Not many
want to deal with one tree, and a lot depends on where it's located in the
yard--many don't want to deal with yard trees, either, because of the junk
that tends to get incorporated over the years. Rough on mill blades to run
up on old staples, nails and harder chunks.

Reduce expectations of income from the tree, too. Most people think they're
going to get rich off a walnut tree because the wood sells for maybe 6-7
bucks a board foot. But stumpage fees aren't nearly that high even for top
trees.

Last time I priced out a walnut yard tree, they wanted $750 to remove the
thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:01:39 -0600, "Mr Fed UP"
wrote:

Any suggestions?

Here in the UK I'd phone Wood-mizer in Pocklington (miles away) who'd
then tell me who their nearest Wood-mizer owner was. They might be
interested, they'd generally know a local name who would be.

You've got to look at the tree before deciding. Even if it's awkward to
fell, it's usually worth selling a single garden walnut so long as it
was coming down anyway. If you're looking to fell it for profit, then it
_might_ be worthwhile for a singleton or not, depending on how easy it
is to fell (closeness to buildings etc.).

Remember that the valuable part of a walnut is often the root crown, so
don't just fell it at the normal height. You want that stump unsliced.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 12/14/2005 2:01 AM Mr Fed UP mumbled something about the following:
My sister living in Hampton Va wants to sell a large Walnut tree she has in
her yard.
She believes it not to be rotten in the middle but has no idea how to go
about selling it
or where to put an advert.
Any suggestions?

In Hampton, VA, you'll be hard pressed to find someone to buy it. If
she truely wants to get rid of it. I'll be up that way in a few months
and know someone with a portable mill that I can pay to mill it up. and
I can cut up some of the limbs and other pieces for people who want it
for turning, but I won't pay her for the tree, as it would cost me over
$500 to do that for just 1 tree, and an additional purchase price of
even $100 for the tree would make it not worth my while.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Most sawyers won't even touch a yard tree, much less buy it. The find
nails, gate screws, swing screws and nails, and around here, pieces of
fencing inside the trees. So they all go to the dump after you PAY
someone to cut it down and haul it off.

The guys around here won't touch branch wood either, unless it is about
10" or so in diameter and at least 8' straight after sawing/cutting.
So unless you have a large trunked tree that is pretty straight and
tall, I think you are out of luck.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:01:39 -0600, Mr Fed UP wrote:
My sister living in Hampton Va wants to sell a large Walnut tree she has in
her yard.

Yard trees are often more trouble than they're worth, what with the
potential for nails and other metal, and the unfortunate tendancy of
them being close to things you don't want to drop large trees onto.

craigslist.com might be a place to post a free ad, but don't expect to
get rich, even if she can get rid of for free. Could end up costing a
few grand to get rid of. Sorry.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 12/14/2005 11:10 AM mumbled something about the
following:
Most sawyers won't even touch a yard tree, much less buy it. The find
nails, gate screws, swing screws and nails, and around here, pieces of
fencing inside the trees. So they all go to the dump after you PAY
someone to cut it down and haul it off.

The guys around here won't touch branch wood either, unless it is about
10" or so in diameter and at least 8' straight after sawing/cutting.
So unless you have a large trunked tree that is pretty straight and
tall, I think you are out of luck.

Like I said, I wouldn't buy it, but I might be interested in taking it
off her hands. I do know a couple of sawyers that will work with me on
yard trees to mill them up (I have to do a lot of runs with a metal
detector, which cuts into the time, costing me even more). I'm already
going to be in the area with my truck and an empty trailer, nothing but
a few hours out of my time anyway if the tree is decent.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ...
http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations....

wrote:

My sister living in Hampton Va wants to sell a large Walnut tree she has in
her yard.
She believes it not to be rotten in the middle but has no idea how to go
about selling it
or where to put an advert.
Any suggestions?

TIA Gary

While I have to agree completely with most of the comments in
the thread, I DID want to point out that this can be quite a treasure
trove for a woodturner's group. Turners tend to not WANT long pieces,
and, frankly, if there is "summers metalint" the worst that will
happen is a nick in a single tool.
Oh yea...I have a decent quality metal detector I use on
"gift" wood, just to make sure. That has proven to be a life-saver
in the past.
Regards
Dave Mundt