Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Willemin

Default Best readily available TS blades for ply?

Here's the deal: SWMBO wants a cubbyhole rack for her knitting machine
yarn. I figure 1/2 oak ply is the way to go, but I suspect my 10" Freud
Diablo 40 tooth is losing its edge (a little tearout on the last project).
My local sources include both Lowes, HD, a couple of mom-and-pop hardware
stores and a local lumber yard - i.e. contractor stores, no fine
woodworking stores. I have seen Freud Diablo 80T, Freud Avanti 80T, DeWalt
80T, and maybe a couple of others. In the absence of further input, I'll
probably get the Freud Diablo 80T. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

--

Jim
"Value nothing but truth, compassion, and love"
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Jim Willemin wrote:
Here's the deal: SWMBO wants a cubbyhole rack for her knitting machine
yarn. I figure 1/2 oak ply is the way to go, but I suspect my 10" Freud
Diablo 40 tooth is losing its edge (a little tearout on the last project).

You might be able to get it sharpened.

My local sources include both Lowes, HD, a couple of mom-and-pop hardware
stores and a local lumber yard - i.e. contractor stores, no fine
woodworking stores.

Do you have any industrial supply shops around? These usually keep
regular business hours and cater mostly to other businesses.

In any case, if you want the "best" results, look for something
specifically designed for plywood/melamine. Something like the Forrest
HI A/T, or Freud LU98R.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

I use the Freud Diablo 80T and do most all of my cabinet work including
cutting hardwood plywood with it as it leaves a very clean cut. I haven't
tried any of the others that you have listed so I can't really say that it's
the best choice, but it works for me.

Charley

"Jim Willemin" wrote in message
. 97.142...
Here's the deal: SWMBO wants a cubbyhole rack for her knitting machine
yarn. I figure 1/2 oak ply is the way to go, but I suspect my 10" Freud
Diablo 40 tooth is losing its edge (a little tearout on the last project).
My local sources include both Lowes, HD, a couple of mom-and-pop hardware
stores and a local lumber yard - i.e. contractor stores, no fine
woodworking stores. I have seen Freud Diablo 80T, Freud Avanti 80T,

DeWalt
80T, and maybe a couple of others. In the absence of further input, I'll
probably get the Freud Diablo 80T. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

--

Jim
"Value nothing but truth, compassion, and love"

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 07:12:29 -0600, Jim Willemin wrote:

Here's the deal: SWMBO wants a cubbyhole rack for her knitting machine
yarn. I figure 1/2 oak ply is the way to go, but I suspect my 10" Freud
Diablo 40 tooth is losing its edge (a little tearout on the last project).

I've had good luck buying a low cost 7.25" non-carbide plywood blade
and using it with a zero clearance throat plate. When the blade starts to
dull, I toss it. At the rate I use/cut plywood, that's about once a year.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Willemin" wrote in message
. 97.142...
Here's the deal: SWMBO wants a cubbyhole rack for her knitting machine
yarn. I figure 1/2 oak ply is the way to go, but I suspect my 10" Freud
Diablo 40 tooth is losing its edge (a little tearout on the last project).
My local sources include both Lowes, HD, a couple of mom-and-pop hardware
stores and a local lumber yard - i.e. contractor stores, no fine
woodworking stores.

If you have a PC, and you apparently do, you have access to a multitude of
on-line fine woodworking stores.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Willemin

"J" wrote in :

"Jim Willemin" wrote in message
. 97.142...

My local sources include both Lowes, HD, a couple
of mom-and-pop hardware stores and a local lumber yard - i.e.
contractor stores, no fine woodworking stores.

If you have a PC, and you apparently do, you have access to a
multitude of on-line fine woodworking stores.

Yes, true, and I order stuff from them when I really can't get it locally
(e.g. ply-groove dado router bits). However, I sorta want to get started
by tomorrow. I also wanted to get the advice of those more experienced
than I in terms of what to get, and I wanted to gently limit the budget
range (if SWMBO found out I had spent $160 on a saw blade, no matter how
wonderful the cut, I'd be in trouble to my eyebrows).

--

Jim
"Value nothing but truth, compassion, and love"
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Look in Lowes for a Freud LU82 "crosscut blade", which will
work just fine for plywood. You might also find a Freud
LU84 combination blade which does pretty well in ply.

I don't care for the Diablo series.

Jim Willemin wrote:

Yes, true, and I order stuff from them when I really can't get it locally
(e.g. ply-groove dado router bits). However, I sorta want to get started
by tomorrow. I also wanted to get the advice of those more experienced
than I in terms of what to get, and I wanted to gently limit the budget
range (if SWMBO found out I had spent $160 on a saw blade, no matter how
wonderful the cut, I'd be in trouble to my eyebrows).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lyndell Thompson

I have been using the blade you use on baltic birch plywood 3/4" with very
good results. That said ..........I have a shopsmith and I slow down the
speed to reduce vibration and use a slow feed rate. By slowing down the
blade I reduce the burn that is normally seen. Also important that you use a
pitch /gum remover for every so many board feet you saw. There may not be
anything wrong with your blade, it may be gummed up.
Good luck Lyndell