DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/134175-geodesic-dome-observatory.html)

J T December 4th 05 08:54 PM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

http://www.orednet.org/~jgarlitz/geodome.htm

Been doing some searching for something not even remotely
resembling this. But, figured I'd pass it along - it does use some
wood. If nothing else, Luigi can make one for an ice fishing shanty, or
something. LOL

JOAT
A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the
weekends.

Odinn December 5th 05 12:34 AM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

On 12/4/2005 3:54 PM J T mumbled something about the following:
http://www.orednet.org/~jgarlitz/geodome.htm

Been doing some searching for something not even remotely
resembling this. But, figured I'd pass it along - it does use some
wood. If nothing else, Luigi can make one for an ice fishing shanty, or
something. LOL

I had run across those same plans some time back when I was researching
plans on geodesic homes. I am planning on building the wife and I a new
house in 5-10 years, and have decided to go geodesic, and was planning
on using that at the top for the wife's star watching (she has a pretty
nice telescope, but was planning on building her a nice 8" or 10"
newtonion in her on dome).

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

[email protected] December 5th 05 04:36 AM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

Odinn wrote:
... wife's star watching (she has a pretty
nice telescope, but was planning on building her a nice 8" or 10"
newtonion in her on dome).

Go with the ten inch. There's no substitute for aperture.

__

FF

J T December 5th 05 05:00 AM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

Sun, Dec 4, 2005, 7:34pm (Odinn) doth planneth:
snip planning on building her a nice 8" or 10" newtonion in her on
dome).

Check out Build Your Own Telescope, b Richard Berry. Five
telescope planss, and very easy to understand. I picked up a used copy
awhile back, at a very decent price. Heh heh.

Odinn December 5th 05 12:44 PM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

On 12/4/2005 11:36 PM mumbled something about
the following:
Odinn wrote:

... wife's star watching (she has a pretty
nice telescope, but was planning on building her a nice 8" or 10"
newtonion in her on dome).

Go with the ten inch. There's no substitute for aperture.

Yeah, I'll probably end up with an f/6 with the 10" instead of an f/8
with the 8", which ends up pretty close to the same focal length (~1600mm).

--
Odinn - Too many hobbies, not enough time

Odinn December 5th 05 12:46 PM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

On 12/5/2005 12:00 AM J T mumbled something about the following:
Sun, Dec 4, 2005, 7:34pm (Odinn) doth planneth:
snip planning on building her a nice 8" or 10" newtonion in her on
dome).

Check out Build Your Own Telescope, b Richard Berry. Five
telescope planss, and very easy to understand. I picked up a used copy
awhile back, at a very decent price. Heh heh.

Thanks, I've already got several plans, including stripping down a Meade
and building it like I want :). Definitely going to add in a tracking
system that can use the software she already as from Meade, so I might
have to just purchase an old Meade that still has the motor setup still
working.

Kevin Craig December 5th 05 07:08 PM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

In article .com,
wrote:

Go with the ten inch. There's no substitute for aperture.

Size counts?

Greg G. December 5th 05 07:36 PM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

Kevin Craig said:

In article .com,
wrote:

Go with the ten inch. There's no substitute for aperture.

Size counts?

I knew some wag would interject with a comment along those lines...
As long as it fills the aperture, however, size doesn't matter. :-\

Greg G.

Bob G. December 5th 05 09:40 PM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 00:00:29 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

Sun, Dec 4, 2005, 7:34pm
(Odinn) doth planneth:
snip planning on building her a nice 8" or 10" newtonion in her on
dome).

Check out Build Your Own Telescope, b Richard Berry. Five
telescope planss, and very easy to understand. I picked up a used copy
awhile back, at a very decent price. Heh heh.

JOAT
A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the
weekends.

========================
I'm still mulling over my plans for building my own
observatory....since my lot is tree infested and my chain saw would
get me in big trouble with the wife my observatory just may end up
being placed in the roof of a 6x10 foot cargo trailer... so I can drag
the entire thing to a dark sky location..or if I can figure out a
"cheap" way to construct a pier up to the roof of my 2 storry garage
and isolate the scope from the building...or if I can just build a sky
shed with a roll off roof in my front lawn (not too many trees out
there).... Need to be cheap so I can afford buy another Negler
Eyepiece..

Bob G.

Luigi Zanasi December 6th 05 06:59 AM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 15:54:52 -0500, (J T)
scribbled:

http://www.orednet.org/~jgarlitz/geodome.htm

Been doing some searching for something not even remotely
resembling this. But, figured I'd pass it along - it does use some
wood. If nothing else, Luigi can make one for an ice fishing shanty, or
something. LOL

My ice fishing shack was designed from he

http://www.desertdomes.com/index.html

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking

Odinn December 6th 05 12:16 PM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

On 12/6/2005 1:59 AM Luigi Zanasi mumbled something about the following:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 15:54:52 -0500, (J T)
scribbled:

http://www.orednet.org/~jgarlitz/geodome.htm

Been doing some searching for something not even remotely
resembling this. But, figured I'd pass it along - it does use some
wood. If nothing else, Luigi can make one for an ice fishing shanty, or
something. LOL

My ice fishing shack was designed from he

http://www.desertdomes.com/index.html

Best place for getting the length of struts for 3, 4, 5 and 6 freq
domes. I've transfered that info to a spreadsheet so I can do fast
calculations and have it converted to feet inches and 64ths.

Larry Jaques December 6th 05 05:22 PM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:59:11 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Luigi Zanasi quickly quoth:

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 15:54:52 -0500, (J T)
scribbled:

http://www.orednet.org/~jgarlitz/geodome.htm

Been doing some searching for something not even remotely
resembling this. But, figured I'd pass it along - it does use some
wood. If nothing else, Luigi can make one for an ice fishing shanty, or
something. LOL

My ice fishing shack was designed from he

Oh, silly Canuckistani person, why do you fish for ice?

http://www.desertdomes.com/index.html

Cool. That looks like an interesting way to make a glueup, assembly,
and finish/paint shack. Hmmm...

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

Morris Dovey December 6th 05 05:43 PM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

Larry Jaques (in ) said:

| On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:59:11 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
| Luigi Zanasi quickly quoth:
|
|| On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 15:54:52 -0500,
(J T)
|| scribbled:
http://www.orednet.org/~jgarlitz/geodome.htm
||| Been doing some searching for something not even remotely
||| resembling this. But, figured I'd pass it along - it does use
||| some wood. If nothing else, Luigi can make one for an ice
||| fishing shanty, or something. LOL
|| My ice fishing shack was designed from he
|
| Oh, silly Canuckistani person, why do you fish for ice?
|

|| http://www.desertdomes.com/index.html
|
| Cool. That looks like an interesting way to make a glueup, assembly,
| and finish/paint shack. Hmmm...

Could probably assemble with cable ties through holes for temporary
use, too...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

J T December 6th 05 08:47 PM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

Mon, Dec 5, 2005, 10:59pm (EST-3) (Luigi*Zanasi) did
send the words:
My ice fishing shack was designed from he
http://www.desertdomes.com/index.html

Canadian yurt, eh? LOL Wish you'd included a link to a picture of
it.

J T December 6th 05 08:52 PM

GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY

Tue, Dec 6, 2005, 9:22am (EST-3)
(Larry*Jaques) did speak so:
Oh, silly Canuckistani person, why do you fish for ice? snip

Obviously spoken by soneone who thinks ice and fish only come
wrapped in plasting from a grocery store.