Posted to rec.woodworking
nprlisner

Default Laminating? paper labels to wood

I have a finishing question. I have some "antique looking" Jack Daniels
bottle labels that I would like to laminate on the front of a cabinet. I'm
not sure if laminate is the right word. The cabinet doors are painted. The
labels are paper without an adhesive backing. How could I attach the labels
and apply a clear finish (I assume multiple coats) and protect the look of
the paper labels? Do I need spray equipment? I have brushed on shellac to
finish children's painted toys. Is that an option or will shellac yellow
the paper?
Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

"nprlisner" wrote in message
. ..
I have a finishing question. I have some "antique looking" Jack Daniels
bottle labels that I would like to laminate on the front of a cabinet. I'm
not sure if laminate is the right word. The cabinet doors are painted. The
labels are paper without an adhesive backing. How could I attach the
labels
and apply a clear finish (I assume multiple coats) and protect the look of
the paper labels? Do I need spray equipment? I have brushed on shellac to
finish children's painted toys. Is that an option or will shellac yellow
the paper?

This sounds like it would qualify as decoupage. See

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_no..._14711,FF.html

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
nprlisner

"nprlisner" wrote in message
. ..
I have a finishing question. I have some "antique looking" Jack
Daniels
bottle labels that I would like to laminate on the front of a
cabinet. I'm not sure if laminate is the right word. The cabinet
doors are painted. The labels are paper without an adhesive backing.
How could I attach the labels
and apply a clear finish (I assume multiple coats) and protect the
look of the paper labels? Do I need spray equipment? I have brushed
on shellac to finish children's painted toys. Is that an option or
will shellac yellow the paper?

This sounds like it would qualify as decoupage. See

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_no...0,,HGTV_10680_

14711,FF.
html

John

I've never heard that term. I will look it up. Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 11:10:51 -0600, nprlisner
wrote:

I have some "antique looking" Jack Daniels
bottle labels that I would like to laminate on the front of a cabinet.

Google for "decoupage"

It's a Victorian technique that goes through periodic revivals. You
paint the timber (if required), stick the labels down, then coat with
something transparent. Many repeats of coat-dry-rub down later, they've
sunk into the surface. Some pieces have an entirely smooth surface,
yours probably just need sealing and can be left slightly proud.

For adhesive use any suitable paste - wallpaper paste, gum arabic, white
PVA.

For the transparent coating, definitely use blonde shellac. Shellac
differs from modern varnish in that it's entirely solvent based, not a
cure. Successive layers thus merge into each other seamlessly. Make
sure it's well dried before rubbing down (hard in this weather). You
might use a coat of button shellac (darker) at the finish, but stick
with blonde for the "bodying". If you want a non-gloss finish, dull it
out by rubbing with fine pumice on cloth.

You can also antique the final finish with a crackle finish based on
hide glue (Google again)

Try it out with scrap first!