Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

Default Layla Unplugged And Its Relation To WoodDorking

So, my buddy asked me to burn him a CD and specifically asked that
both versions of Layla be on it.

I had not listened to them back to back in a long time.

Being a WoodDorker, I became enamored of the differences between the
two.

You have the Normish Layla, which depends on huge amounts of
'Lecktricity and brute force - and then you have the Galootish Layla,
which depends on subtlety and expression.

As a concept, it was working for me pretty good.

So, I'm thinking to myself - Normites are more like Rock and Roll and
Galoots are more like Folk Music.

Nah, that couldn't be right.

I couldn't imagine Patrick Leach singing Kum-Ba-Ya anymore than I
could imagine Norm singing almost anything from Cream (maybe the
Grateful Dead - workingman's dead album).

So, where does that leave me?

I have come to believe, through the salvific power of music, that
Galoots and Normites are the same people, as Clapton is the same
person when he sings either the Electric Layla or the Unplugged Layla.

It is worthy of note that Clapton took a good long time to become
unplugged, as do many confirmed Normites, as they age.

But, they are the same being.

So, we not be not either Normites or Galoots, as Clapton does not need
be either a Rock and Roller or a Folky - we may enjoy the multiplicity
of our expressions of WoodDorking, without fearing that we need to
fall in one or another of the major camps.

If Clapton can handle it, so can we.

Damn, I'm glad that we finally settled that.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

It can't be right. I wonder if Igor Stravinsky could fit into this
concept... Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On 1 Dec 2005 19:04:04 -0800, "tom" wrote:

It can't be right. I wonder if Igor Stravinsky could fit into this
concept... Tom

Leopold Stokowski is prolly the only dude that could make him speaka
da same english.

Dude had the Philly Band when it was full of wild people, all wanting
to be first chair bubba and he had the character and musical sense to
create the greatest band that any of god's children have ever heard.

If'n you ain't heard Big B's Fifth done by the Philly band under
Leopold, you ain't really ever heard it.

Stravinski reminds me of what Hemingway said about ee cummings:

"That ain't poetry, that's typing."

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

De gustibus non disputandum, eh, Watson? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On 1 Dec 2005 19:42:50 -0800, "tom" wrote:

De gustibus non disputandum

The actual reference is from Cicero:

"De gustibus non disputandum est"

Which translates directly to the unfortunate:

"Of taste no dispute is."

But which most acknowledge as:

"There is no accounting for taste."

(watson - who is now listening to Satchmo's, "Mack The Knife")

Watch out for the "est", it's verbal.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Now listening to the band called Henry Cow, their "Legend" album. Check
it out, then maybe Stravinsky won't seem so much like "typing". It's
all relatively good. Tom, the Cultural Imperialist .

Posted to rec.woodworking

"That ain't poetry, that's typing"

I think that's what Capote said about James Baldwin

http://www.artistsnetwork.org/news10/news500.html

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On 1 Dec 2005 20:35:14 -0800, wrote:

"That ain't poetry, that's typing"

I think that's what Capote said about James Baldwin

http://www.artistsnetwork.org/news10/news500.html

MJ Wallace

This Capote that you speak about, was he a writer?

(watson - who hopes that irony is not entirely dead)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Tom Watson wrote:
On 1 Dec 2005 19:42:50 -0800, "tom" wrote:

De gustibus non disputandum

The actual reference is from Cicero:

I don't think Cicero said this: do you have a loc? It may well be
classical, but I've wondered if this weren't some later invention, so I
should track it down--I'll start with you and Cicero.

"De gustibus non disputandum est"

Which translates directly to the unfortunate:

"Of taste no dispute is."

But which most acknowledge as:

"There is no accounting for taste."

snip
Watch out for the "est", it's verbal.

The literal translation is more like: "About tastes it must not be
argued", but since English is uncomfortable with impersonal
constructions, the old standbys "You can't argue about tastes" or
"There's no accounting for taste" are close enough.

"est" doesn't stand alone as the verb here either: it's part of the
(future passive) periphrastic "[disptuta]ndum est" construction which
denotes obligation or necessity. It (the "est") could also be gapped,
so what tom wrote would work fine too.

Don't mean to be picky, but hey, what else is a philologist good for?

....teaching Carroll's Laughin and Grief since '85

Posted to rec.woodworking

Woops! I just did the "google" thing and found out, that
yes Capote did say that, but it was about Jack Kerouac.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
KaiS.

How many of the artists humping unplugged versions of the hits that made
them famous would still be famous if they had peddled the lame acoustic
versions first?

Tom Watson wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
"tom" wrote:

Now listening to the band called Henry Cow, their "Legend" album. Check
it out, then maybe Stravinsky won't seem so much like "typing". It's
all relatively good. Tom, the Cultural Imperialist .

Was....

Killamangiro [sic] by Babyshambles. (What does Kate see in him?)

Now listening to:

Bei Mir Bist Du Schön by the Flying Neutrinos

fade to

Van Morrison singing Comfortably Numb (live The Wall, Berlin).. if you
haven't heard it...find it. Just f*ucking awesome... Danko & Levon doing
back-up vocals, can you diggit?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On 1 Dec 2005 21:01:08 -0800, "hylourgos" wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:
[...]

My vaguest apologies but the Latin that I was taught was not admiring
of the included verb.

As the reference was to Cicero, I would think that his full expression
would be worthy of the quote.

As an oldish Philosophy Major, I would argue that a sentence without
an expressed verb is a nasty piece of work, particularly since I spent
much of my undergraduate time arguing the merits and definition of
"est".

Even without reference to Summa Theologica, or, indeed, Philosophica,
the importance of "est" is enshrined in both Latin Grammar and Latin
Literature, of which I am sure you are more than passing familiar.

I would also argue your parsing of the phrase into English, as mine
admired the natural translation of the elements and yours transcribed
rather than translated.

Then too, there is the matter that the Latin is a derivative of the
Greek, which I am sure you know, as it would be a commonplace of your
professional life.

But, who then is the attribution?

Who then was Cicero fond of quoting?

(watson - who has had more than enough Grief to last a lifetime)

(sorry, just having a bit of fun before going to sleep)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Rogatoy wrote:snipBabyshambles.(What does Kate see in him?)
Uh, Kate who? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

The plugged in version is full of the amplified passion and pain of
a young inexperienced man. The unplugged version is the expression
of an older, more experienced man, the rough edges ground down
a bit by life.

But some of Clapton's songs can only be "plugged in" - the gutiar
riff at the end of Holy Mother just wouldn't/ couldn't convey the
anguish and pain, or the plea for relief. If I Saw You In Heaven
has to be acoustic. After Midnite unplugged would be sleep
inducing.

The newbie knows only of tailed tools and the dust collector
and ear plugs that go with them. The intermediate becomes
awayre of hand tools and the mystique that is attributed to
their use. The experienced wood basher knows enough about
enough to know which to use when. The fanatic uses one or
the other and misses the benefits of each.

Only Clapton and Leon Russel can get an instrument to
drawl (sp?).

charlie b

as for acoustic versions of earlier works being lame
- a jazz pianist named Buddy Satan had just started
a fifteen minute break when a drunk yelled "Hey
Buddy. I don't hear nothing!" Buddy's over the shoulder
reply "You're not listening."

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Hey Tom,

Had to read your post a couple of times before I realized how my query
about the quote's source was misunderstood. What I meant, and could
have been clearer about, was that I don't think Cicero says this at all
in any of his works, whether invented by him or quoted by him from some
earlier writer. That's why I wondered if you happened to have a
location (citation) for that quote in Cicero. That would clear it up
for me.

About gapping verbs: classical Latin is more comfortable dropping any
form of the verb "to be" than we, but we can still do it as I just did;
nevertheless, I can understand a philosopher's reticence to allow it.
In general, though, English too gaps verbs all over the place, as do
you:

*The very first sentence of your post to which I respond now, "My
vaguest apologies but..." Two modifiers and a noun [no verb] followed
by a coordinating conjunction with a new independent clause.
*Earlier in this thread: "...as do many confirmed Normites, as they
age." ["become unplugged," from the prior clause]
*From "Old John" thread: "OldJohn." "The laugh of a truly happy man."
"yet so full of good feeling." ["he seemed" gapped from prior clause],
"And so we did," ["walk", gapped from prior sentence]

"I would also argue your parsing of the phrase into English, as mine
admired the natural translation of the elements and yours transcribed
rather than translated. "

A "natural translation of the elements"? Admirably slippery, and not
quite the same as "translates directly". Regardless, you're shooting
your own argument in the foot, to mix metaphors: you first restore the
"est" then circumcise the periphrastic form "disputandum est", making
the future participial half into a noun then exile the "est". Ends up
not meaning (whether parsed, translated or transcribed) the same
thing--or more realistically, not meaning as close to the original as
other [parsings, translations, transcriptions] ready at hand.

"Then too, there is the matter that the Latin is a derivative of the
Greek,...."

Well, only in the broadest of senses. Hellenists might chuckle, but
Romanists would rankle. It would be no different to assert that English
is derivative of French.

To, or not to, that the question,
who may have already fallen asleep.

ps: did you write on "esse" in the Summa as an undergratuate? di tibi
propter nimis laborem parcant!

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

hylourgos wrote:
[...]

propter nimis laborem parcant! Dang! And I was just gonna say he had a pretty mouth! Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Yes, "Pulchramos", that's what we'll call him from now on...and
pulcherrimos when he writes something *really* pretty.

H.
....foolishly proud of his Neolatinogisms, given how late it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:23:02 -0500, Tom Watson
scribbled:

Then too, there is the matter that the Latin is a derivative of the
Greek,

Saying that Latin is a derivative of Greek is like saying that English
is a derivative Italian. (I was going to say French, but English is a
derivative of French, at least a large part of its vocabulary).

Ludovicus Johannax

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:

snip

The unplugged version is the expression
of an older, more experienced man, the rough edges ground down
a bit by life.

snip
The newbie knows only of tailed tools
snip

Seems a bit narrow minded to me. Not much allowance at all for
personal preference.

I am wondering if we should tell BB King to throw the well tailed
Lucille in the river and pick up a Martin. I am not sure at 80 he
would be considered a noob...

Les Paul... tailed
Chet Atkins (don't even snicker until you have really explored this
man's work)... tailed
Jeff Beck... tailed
Dickie Betts... tailed
Mike Bloomfield... tailed
Jerry Garcia... tailed

Hope these guys can forge a place in today's music. And there are so
many others that hammer (or hammered) away on those damn electrics
their whole long lives(feeling their teenage angst?) like Keith
Richards, George Benson, Slash, Joe Perry, Sonny Boy Rollins, T Bone
Walker at least part time... maybe not full time... so there could be
hope for them, too if they are still with us.

For me, I like it all, and if they find a way to do a more mellow
version of a song they like themselves, I think that is fine. I don't
want to read too much into it. You know, like "the Walrus is Paul" and
"did you notice they are all barefoot". I try to take it as it is,
another piece of music from the artist.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On 1 Dec 2005 22:37:41 -0800, "hylourgos" wrote:

Hey Tom,

snip of good rant

I wish I'd been able to stay up and bat that around some more, H. but
I was too sleepy.

One of my favorite sans verb quotes is from Sonny Liston:

"People funny. Life a funny thing."

He's one guy I'd never question about usage.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
"tom" wrote:

Rogatoy wrote:snipBabyshambles.(What does Kate see in him?)
Uh, Kate who? Tom

Moss
Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

No problem Tom, as that last bit of Latin was meant to convey: if
you've done any Latin in the Summa, you've done enough--god bless you
my son, and go in peace.

Hey, I wonder if George Thorogood was riffing on Liston:

"Everybody funny. Now you funny too."

Cheers,
H.
....with regrets if 20 yrs. of teaching Latin grammar has made me anal
enough to rant about it--in the Wreck of all places.

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Ha! I should've known you'd pipe in with that observation. Tom's right,
of course, in a broad cultural-language sense. [??Phoenician, Linear
A/B??] Greek Latin Italian (OK, this parentage might be
more of an incestuous sorority than a parentage) French English,
with lots of paramours between each illicit union. We are all *******
children, linguistically.

Being in the southern US states, I am especially so, but having spent
substantial time on Harker's Isle (where they still spoke/speak closer
to Elizabethan English than anywhere else on earth, supposedly), I feel
pure...

....not,
H.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

This?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

Van Morrison singing Comfortably Numb (live The Wall, Berlin).. if you
haven't heard it...find it. Just f*ucking awesome... Danko & Levon doing
back-up vocals, can you diggit?

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 21:24:31 -0500, Tom Watson wrote:

[...]

Tom... I think that you have WAY too much time on your hands.. *lol*

It's an easy one for me... if it's Clapton, it's all good...

now go out there and make a cd holder for your friend..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Stephen M" wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...3542625/sr=2-2
/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-4548948-7774456?v=glance&s=music

That'd be the one..'cept I ripped from the DVD, which is a hoot. Cindy Lauper's
contribution alone is worth the price of admission.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article . com,
"hylourgos" wrote:

Elizabethan English

I don't know why she's the standard. After all, who died and made her queen, huh?
Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy

mac davis wrote in
:

It's an easy one for me... if it's Clapton, it's all good...

Surely you're joking. The Phil Collins produced albums are pure
drek, not worth the energy it takes to throw them in the trash.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
John McCoy wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

It's an easy one for me... if it's Clapton, it's all good...

Surely you're joking. The Phil Collins produced albums are pure
drek, not worth the energy it takes to throw them in the trash.

John

One of my most played DVD's is Clapton at Hyde Park. Having said that,
Clapton has also done some pretty awful stuff. Overall, I think he's
overrated.
Selling England By The Pound is one of my favourite albums. When I
listen to it, I can't believe that Phil Collins is in that band.
Rutherford's and Gabriel's careers certainly have shown to me where the
talent was. Collins is just a blob of warm plastic slithering along on
heavy digital delay-lines. Manilow has more personality/talent.

Music For Montserrat really shows how small a 'talent' Collins really
is. When you got Clapton, Sting and Knopfler in front of you, you'd
figure he'd rise to the occasion...but noooo.. he barely gets by. Good
thing Ray Cooper was there to bail him out. (Talk about a giant)

My 2 cents
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom:

This Capote that you speak about, was he a writer?

Oh, I get it, funny! Yeah he was a writer! (I'll leave
the book names up to you search out!). And, if you
need the condensed version - there's a current movie
playing in some cities about his blockbuster book.

His actual quote was:

"That's not writing, that's typing".

Truman was referring to Keroac's "On the road". The one he wrote
on a single roll of paper over 3 weeks.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Fargher

John McCoy wrote:

It's an easy one for me... if it's Clapton, it's all good...

Surely you're joking. The Phil Collins produced albums are pure
drek, not worth the energy it takes to throw them in the trash.

Amen, brother!

--
Cheers,
Rob
Posted to rec.woodworking
max

Someone suggested that the unplugged After Midnight would not be good. JJ
Cale (original author( did a killer version.
max

mac davis wrote in
:

It's an easy one for me... if it's Clapton, it's all good...

Surely you're joking. The Phil Collins produced albums are pure
drek, not worth the energy it takes to throw them in the trash.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:22:21 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Robatoy quickly quoth:

In article ,
"Stephen M" wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...3542625/sr=2-2
/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-4548948-7774456?v=glance&s=music

That'd be the one..'cept I ripped from the DVD, which is a hoot. Cindy Lauper's
contribution alone is worth the price of admission.

Amazon's short audio track doesn't do it justice, I guess.
I was curious how she was doing (I adored both her and Liz Peña
in "Vibes") and hit www.cyndilauper.com . The first song
(automatically loaded with the website) is a bit loud but the second,
Above the Clouds, is GREAT! It doesn't have nearly as much of that
sharp edge she sings with, KWIM,V? She still looks great, too, doesn't
she? Fun gal, that.

--
The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient
while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778)

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Why, WS and KJV, of course.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

"Stephen M" wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...3542625/sr=2-2
/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-4548948-7774456?v=glance&s=music

That'd be the one..'cept I ripped from the DVD, which is a hoot. Cindy Lauper's
contribution alone is worth the price of admission.

Amazon's short audio track doesn't do it justice, I guess.
I was curious how she was doing (I adored both her and Liz Peña
in "Vibes") and hit www.cyndilauper.com . The first song
(automatically loaded with the website) is a bit loud but the second,
Above the Clouds, is GREAT! It doesn't have nearly as much of that
sharp edge she sings with, KWIM,V? She still looks great, too, doesn't
she? Fun gal, that.

She Sure Is. The hair is a bit tamer these days, however...
I actually went to the site you pointed out and listed to the 3 tunes.
I could swear I heard Sarah McLachlan in the background, and a few
lines where the voice sounded eerily reminiscent of Marianne Faithful.
It's funny how the mind remembers voices you haven't heard in almost
20 years. They are each truly unique... And Sarah's no slouch in the
looks department either...

Don't buy many albums anymore, since loosing my earlier collection,
and gaining a few years, but she looks like a keeper.

JMHO,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote"

Selling England By The Pound is one of my favourite albums. When I
listen to it, I can't believe that Phil Collins is in that band.
Rutherford's and Gabriel's careers certainly have shown to me where the

talent was.

Holy crap, Batman. I didn't even know anyone around here would know
what that album was! It was actually a little bit obscure then.

But I will do you one better than that. My first real, registered
company that I started in 1977 was called Rael. Yup. From Lamb Lies
Down on Broadway.

Phil who?

Oh yeah, the guy that provided the drum fills.

I am astonished Robatoy. No kiddin.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
wrote:

[snipped for brevity]

Holy crap, Batman. I didn't even know anyone around here would know
what that album was! It was actually a little bit obscure then.

I don't think it sold well.... then again.. Dark Side Of The Moon and
Ziggy Stardust and Who's Next (only the Best Pure Rock Band Ever).....
were released about the same time as Selling England (1973 The year I
graduated). I had a job with the power company as an EE, but all my free
time was spent messing in the music biz. Money for nothing and the
chicks for free...LOL...Mostly hardware. Daytime, white shirt/pocket
protector, go home and eat..set up a sound system...party all night and
break it down at the end of the gig. Just a roadie who never left
Toronto. Very early Rush before their first album (Upstairs at George's
Restaurant Queen & Spadina) comes to mind.

I always keep a close eye on the British music scene. New ideas pop up
and they have the absolute BEST fan-base on the planet. Lots of cool
stuff happens there. Libertines (now Babyshambles) are but one example
of a fresh sound that will likely never sell this side of the ocean,
because the weasels with the cigars and Courvoisier(blech) are busy
selling bling, you dig what I'm saying? And now those record company
weasels are wondering why the kids (what izzit? 70% of all record
sales?) are refusing to buy an entire CD that just has ONE song on it
and the rest filler. Of course they feel ripped off and download.

'Lamb' and 'Selling' were full of 'hits'. Just Heavy-Duty compilations
of creativity of Sgt Pepperian proportion.

Sorry... sometimes I just Ramble On

But I will do you one better than that. My first real, registered
company that I started in 1977 was called Rael. Yup. From Lamb Lies
Down on Broadway.

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid...hehehehehe you MUST tell me what your
company did.
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:19:41 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

It's an easy one for me... if it's Clapton, it's all good...

Surely you're joking. The Phil Collins produced albums are pure
drek, not worth the energy it takes to throw them in the trash.

John

It's a subjective thing, John.. that's why they make stain in more than one
color...