DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Delta discontinuing parts for older tools... (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/132805-delta-discontinuing-parts-older-tools.html)

CW November 29th 05 04:45 AM

Delta discontinuing parts for older tools...

I doubt it is as irritated as those of who detest having to scroll to the
bottom to read anything significant feel.

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
People who incessantly complain about top-posting deserve the
irritation they feel as a result of the top-posting.

"Balderstone's Postulate"

joe2 November 29th 05 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dill
joe2 wrote:

Should my Delta Unisaw ever require warranty repair, Delta is REQUIRED
to come to my home and do the repair, or pick the saw, fix it and

Yeah, good luck with that one. Let me know how it turns out...

Rarely is it ever a problem. Manfs and retailers know the rules and everyone just goes along with it. Fwiw, most products never see warranty repairs anyways.

Important stuff first: EVERYONE should check with their state’s warranty laws. They are all different, there are many laws out there to protect consumers, many folks aren’t even aware of them. Also, see the Magnuson-Moss Act, the fed law regarding warranties. Most folks I know don’t have a clue about warranties. If Delta sells the same Unisaw with a 2-yr warranty (costs less) and a 5-yr warranty (costs more), both saws have the same implied warranty of 5-years. Some states do not allow the manf to limit the implied warranty, some do.

Now the babbling: Calif can adopt aggressive consumer protection laws because the state has a huge population and thus a huge retail sales base. The only thing new about Calif’s warranty laws are that consumers must now be given notice in writing that their warranty is frozen in place pending repair and return of the item. The laws apply to any manf that distributes product in this state, regardless of origin of manf or distribution. Calif can and does reach across state line to pursue civil and criminal actions against manfs.

In a nutshell, Calif decided electrical junk would not be sold here. Likewise, retailers can’t try to snag a quick buck buy pawning off garbage. Think of it as being responsible for your own actions (a novel idea), but in this case it’s the manf and retailers that need to be responsible for their own actions. Not a bad thing. Any manf making a quality product has no worries. Manf’s of shoddy product should worry…Calif is one of several states that does not allow a manf to limit liability for consequential damages resulting from the use of a product.

Many of Calif’s laws have had a ripple effect across all the states, i.e. requiring a toll free number to call if you need repairs and/or proving a list of repair centers with the product. It is easier to provided a toll free number and a list of repair centers for all 50 states than to just do it for Calif residents then try to explain to the other 49 states why they aren’t worthy of the same service. Same for product registration, Calif forbids a manf from requiring the return of a warranty card or the registration of a product, nor can a manf require any kind of internet registration. It is easier to make product/warranty registration optional for everyone than try to keep Calif separate.

My personal favs are Calif’s laws that prevent manfs, distributors, and/or sellers from doing anything that diminishes a warranty. And extended warranties can’t parallel the manf’s warranty, they start when the manf’s warranty ends. The increasingly popular scheme where manf’s engage in price-fixing by saying that you must buy their product from an authorized dealer or you don’t get a product warranty only works in the other 49 states…not in California, because the manf is prohibited from diminishing the original warranty.

Fed law already prevents a manf from controlling product distribution, i.e. you can buy something at Sam’s Club or Costco and resell it as new product in your own local shop if you want to, and the warranty stays in effect as it would with any new product. That’s a federal law. Claiming “not for sell in California” isn’t going to cut it. Every item sold in the USA comes with an implied warranty of fitness (Magnuson-Moss Act).

Just so you don’t think all is bad in here Arnold’s Kingdom, new for 2005 are some absolutely wicked anti-spam and anti-spyware laws. Calif has cases pending against 3 companies, one in Calif, one outside Calif, and I don’t recall where the third company is. Their fines are each $1-million per day for everyday they distributed email spam. I suspect as word gets around spam will decline for everyone in all 50 states since there is no way to know which state a computer (laptop) occupies at any given time. Websites accessible in Calif cannot automatically add you to their spam list. You must check a box that says “add me”, not one that says “don’t add me”. There’s also some new stuff regarding active software you do not know about or consent to, i.e. spyware and beacons, but I haven’t had time to follow it.

Oh, one last thing, it is almost impossible to sell something as “as is” in Calif. Keep that in mind the next time you buy something from a business or Power Seller on Ebay, a Calif corporation.

John B November 29th 05 08:18 AM

Delta discontinuing parts for older tools...

Charlie Self wrote:
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

In article . net,
CW wrote:

Wonder how long it will be before ads for products will carry the lable "not
available in California"?

...snipped...

I've noticed certain products that had that disclaimer for several
years now...

Many finishes are listed as "Not For Sale In California." IIRC, CA has
the tightest VOC laws in the country, to the point of ridulousness in
some cases. The finish manufacturers that make material that would run
up againt the regulations simply label it as above. It can drive mail
order retailers nuts, but is a good move for most of us in the other 49
states.

Yep it has even touched us in the 51st state Aust. :)
I purchased an item the other day, can't remember what it was but I do
recall that the packaging had something similar to the following.
"Attention this item may contain products that are considered harmful to
your health in the State of California"
****, I sure am glad that it only effects people living there. ;)
regards
John

George Max November 29th 05 02:49 PM

Delta discontinuing parts for older tools...

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 05:24:58 +0000, joe2
wrote:

joe2 wrote:

Oh, one last thing, it is almost impossible to sell something as “as
is” in Calif. Keep that in mind the next time you buy something from a
business or Power Seller on Ebay, a Calif corporation.

So how does that work when an individual sells his old whatever to
someone. It can't be sold "as is"? This is seemingly just a big yard
sale for some people.

nospambob November 29th 05 05:05 PM

Delta discontinuing parts for older tools...

Sherwin Williams store on southern CALIF coast can't stock Fast Dry
Oil Varnish in gallons because of VOC regs but CAN stock Qts.

On 28 Nov 2005 13:09:15 -0800, "Charlie Self"
wrote:

nospambob November 29th 05 05:05 PM

Delta discontinuing parts for older tools...

Packard Motorcar slogan was "Ask the man that owns one" lives on and
on in my world!

On 28 Nov 2005 16:02:35 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

As for Ford, I drive a 31 year old Ford pickup and I intend to be
driving it for years to come. If the support for this pickup would
suddenly not be available because of Ford's shortsightedness, then my
next vehicle will not be a Ford.

Brand loyalty does not come for free...it is earned....a point that
company management often forgets.

Mark & Juanita November 30th 05 04:14 AM

Delta discontinuing parts for older tools...

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:18:41 GMT, John B
wrote:

.... snip

Yep it has even touched us in the 51st state Aust. :)
I purchased an item the other day, can't remember what it was but I do
recall that the packaging had something similar to the following.
"Attention this item may contain products that are considered harmful to
your health in the State of California"
****, I sure am glad that it only effects people living there. ;)
regards
John

Yep, the exact wording is, "Warning: this item contains [or may contain,
depending on the product] products that are known by the state of
California to cause cancer" This warning is getting out of control to the
point that manufacturers are putting it on just about everything they sell.
i.e, the warning is now totally useless and meaningless -- law of
unintended consequences strikes again.

John B November 30th 05 01:05 PM

Mark & Juanita wrote:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:18:41 GMT, John B
wrote:

... snip

Yep it has even touched us in the 51st state Aust. :)
I purchased an item the other day, can't remember what it was but I do
recall that the packaging had something similar to the following.
"Attention this item may contain products that are considered harmful to
your health in the State of California"
****, I sure am glad that it only effects people living there. ;)
regards
John

Yep, the exact wording is, "Warning: this item contains [or may contain,
depending on the product] products that are known by the state of
California to cause cancer" This warning is getting out of control to the
point that manufacturers are putting it on just about everything they sell.
i.e, the warning is now totally useless and meaningless -- law of
unintended consequences strikes again.

Sort of like the warning here in Oz.
"Not suitable for children under 3" or "Not suitable for children under
3, may contain small parts"
This is on every toy you buy, even those obviously meant for small
baby's and children under 3.
It's a crazy mixed up world ;)
regards
John