Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

Default Does anyone make 8' T8 flourescent lights?

Does anyone make true 8' long flourescent light fixtures in a T8 bulb
design with electronic ballast?

All of the 8' long T8 fxtures I have seen to date actually have four 4' T8
bulbs instead of 8' bulbs. I want electronic ballasts to reduce the hum.

Brian Elfert
Posted to rec.woodworking
No

Try google - I searched for T8 8' and the second link was
http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/...df/p-5029c.pdf Its a
PDF, deconstructing the URL a bit takes me to
http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/us/ecatalog/fluor/ with another 8' T8
listed.

That should get you started.

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
Does anyone make true 8' long flourescent light fixtures in a T8 bulb
design with electronic ballast?

All of the 8' long T8 fxtures I have seen to date actually have four 4' T8
bulbs instead of 8' bulbs. I want electronic ballasts to reduce the hum.

Brian Elfert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:56:53 -0000, Brian Elfert wrote:
Does anyone make true 8' long flourescent light fixtures in a T8 bulb
design with electronic ballast?

All of the 8' long T8 fxtures I have seen to date actually have four 4' T8
bulbs instead of 8' bulbs. I want electronic ballasts to reduce the hum.

Well, if you can't find 'em now, they'll be hard to find when you need
tubes for it...I'd say just get the commonly available ones to save
later headache.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
Does anyone make true 8' long flourescent light fixtures in a T8 bulb
design with electronic ballast?

All of the 8' long T8 fxtures I have seen to date actually have four 4' T8
bulbs instead of 8' bulbs. I want electronic ballasts to reduce the hum.

Brian Elfert

Yep, I have hundreds in my dealerships. However, we are switching to T5's
Better light and cheaper to operate.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Brian Elfert said:

Does anyone make true 8' long flourescent light fixtures in a T8 bulb
design with electronic ballast?

All of the 8' long T8 fxtures I have seen to date actually have four 4' T8
bulbs instead of 8' bulbs. I want electronic ballasts to reduce the hum.

Brian Elfert

Yes.
Just go to your local commercial lighting supplier, T-8's are required
in new commercial buildings in most jurisdictions due to their lower
energy use and mercury content. I use T-8s everywhere these days...
Almost all fixtures designed for T-8 bulbs have electronic ballasts.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking
TomL

wrote:

Does anyone make true 8' long flourescent light fixtures in a T8 bulb
design with electronic ballast?

All of the 8' long T8 fxtures I have seen to date actually have four 4' T8
bulbs instead of 8' bulbs. I want electronic ballasts to reduce the hum.

Brian Elfert

I'm in North Jersey and know of at least 2 elec supply houses that
carry them. Not cheap though.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

Dave Hinz writes:

Well, if you can't find 'em now, they'll be hard to find when you need
tubes for it...I'd say just get the commonly available ones to save
later headache.

I've found the fixtures are available from Grainger and verious online
places, but they cost $60 to $70 plus shipping versus the Home Depot
fixture with four 4' bulbs for $40.

I never thought about bulbs and didn't look at what HD, Menards, etc
carry for bulbs. The bulbs are available at Grainger for a premium price
I'm sure.

Most of the shop lighting threads I have seen say to use 8' fixtures
instead of 4' for better lighting. I wonder if the 8' fixture with four
4' bulbs would work just as well? There is no way I will consider using
magnetic ballasts.

Brian Elfert
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

:
: All of the 8' long T8 fxtures I have seen to date actually have
four 4' T8
: bulbs instead of 8' bulbs. I want electronic ballasts to
reduce the hum.
:
: Brian Elfert

They're fairly easy to find around here, but ... you usually have
to ask for them. Check your lumber yard and local electrical
supplies; they should have them.

They seem pricey at first, until you realize that, with 4 8'
tubes, you're also getting two ballasts and cktry for them.

As far as bulbs go, well I see those all over the place including
HD and Lowes, True Value, etc etc etc..

I use them in my shop; great light output and it spreads over a
LARGE area too. I pull the mains wiring for the ballasts out and
put two switches to a light fixture so I can have "decent" light
with two bulbs, or "excellent" light with all 4 on. Mixed with a
Halogen, they're perfect for finishing work - the dings & dangs
stand out like a big orange box!

Be sure they're not too much light for you though. My Mother had
eye problems so I put one in her little kitchen when she was
alive. She loved it. But it's too bright for anyone else.
Point is, if it's a small area with standard ceilings, leave
room for one or two smaller fixtures for "just passing thru" use.
Saves on 'tricity too. Ymmv

HTH,

Pop

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

"Pop" writes:

They seem pricey at first, until you realize that, with 4 8'
tubes, you're also getting two ballasts and cktry for them.

Interesting. All of the 4' four bulb fixtures I've seen just have one
ballast.

I'm not real sure I would want a fixture with four 8' tubes. That would
seem to be too much light in one spot. Wouldn't it be better to use 2
bulb fixtures more often to spread out the light?

I am very concerned about costs of running all the light people recommend.
1500 watts of light in a 24x24 shop run a few hours a day could really add
up along with all other electricity used in a shop.

Brian Elfert
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Brian Elfert said:

"Pop" writes:

They seem pricey at first, until you realize that, with 4 8'
tubes, you're also getting two ballasts and cktry for them.

Interesting. All of the 4' four bulb fixtures I've seen just have one
ballast.

They make'em both ways. Slyvania, GE and Triad/Magnetek both make 2
and 4 tube electronic ballasts. Some will even drive one, two, three,
or four bulbs. Inventory reduction...

I'm not real sure I would want a fixture with four 8' tubes. That would
seem to be too much light in one spot. Wouldn't it be better to use 2
bulb fixtures more often to spread out the light?

In your average shop, sounds about right. But it depends on the
mounting height of the fixture and the light needed for a particular
task/area.

I am very concerned about costs of running all the light people recommend.
1500 watts of light in a 24x24 shop run a few hours a day could really add
up along with all other electricity used in a shop.

But Heating it eats even _more_ energy... sigh
But you can add it up for yourself - simple math.
Your power rate in KWH is listed on your bill.

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

Mike M writes:

Yes they make them, but they aren't destined to be an industry
standard. Most popular for use in commercial applications now would
be the newer T5 HO systems, or using the 4' T8 lamps with a high
output electronic ballast.

What exactly does high output gain you? Does it just pump more watts
through the same bulbs?

I see a lot about T5, but no DIYer is going to pick these up at Home
Depot, Lowes, or the like.

Brian Elfert
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bilbo Baggins

My local ACE hardware has 8' T8's, I will ask them this weekend if
they are electronic ballasts and what the brand is. It seems to me
that most anything new uses the electronic ballasts, the local ACE is
only about two years old.

wrote:

Does anyone make true 8' long flourescent light fixtures in a T8 bulb
design with electronic ballast?

All of the 8' long T8 fxtures I have seen to date actually have four 4' T8
bulbs instead of 8' bulbs. I want electronic ballasts to reduce the hum.

Brian Elfert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bilbo Baggins

Depot & lowes gets about $3.50 for the four footers.