DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT dangerous dogs (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/130046-re-ot-dangerous-dogs.html)

Clint November 17th 05 07:58 PM

OT dangerous dogs

I realize that Texas might be different, and you might be in a rural
location where this doesn't apply, but many jurisdictions frown upon people
firing weapons in populated areas (say, around 6 and 2 year olds). If the
dog is close enough to be threatening to the kids, I think it would be too
close to the kids to fire a weapon at. IMHO.

--
Clint
"Paul Brumman" wrote in message
We had some high profile dog incidents in the neighboring county. I
have two kids, 6 and 2, and am wondering. If, let's say, a neighbor's
dog wanders in our yard and starts growling at my children, in a
threatening manner, would it be legal to just take my trusty SKS and
shoot the dog wile it is trespassing on my property? That has not
happened, but my neighbors two houses over keep a dog that I do not
like and I am a little concerned. Waht to know the legalities. I am
near El Paso, TX.

thx
pb

Jerry S. November 17th 05 08:20 PM

OT dangerous dogs

"Clint" wrote in message
I realize that Texas might be different, and you might be in a rural
location where this doesn't apply, but many jurisdictions frown upon people
firing weapons in populated areas (say, around 6 and 2 year olds). If the
dog is close enough to be threatening to the kids, I think it would be too
close to the kids to fire a weapon at. IMHO.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to use your pointy stick.

Teamcasa November 17th 05 10:07 PM

OT dangerous dogs

"Paul Brumman"
snip
I have two kids, 6 and 2, and am wondering. If, let's say, a neighbor's
dog wanders in our yard and starts growling at my children, in a
threatening manner, would it be legal to just take my trusty SKS and
shoot the dog wile it is trespassing on my property?

snip

"Clint"
snip
If the dog is close enough to be threatening to the kids, I think it would
be too close to the kids to fire a weapon at. IMHO.

Sound advise. However, we have had some recent cases where loose pit bulls
have mauled and killed some kids. When my kids were young, I kept and eye
on them. Get and train your own dog to protect the kids.

Dave

J T November 17th 05 11:00 PM

OT dangerous dogs

Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 7:58pm (EST+5) (Clint)
snip If the dog is close enough to be threatening to the kids, I think
it would be too close to the kids to fire a weapon at. IMHO.

One of the results of proper firearms training is not only safe
firearms handling, but to be able to hit what you aim at. AND, to NOT
take an unsafe shot. The appropiate action would be to approach close
enough to be sure of missing the kid(s), and hitting the dog. Duh.

JOAT
Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

J T November 17th 05 11:04 PM

OT dangerous dogs

Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 3:20pm (Jerry*S.) doth sayeth:
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to use your pointy stick.

Exactly.

Tied to the barrel of your shotgun.

J T November 17th 05 11:23 PM

OT dangerous dogs

Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 2:07pm (EST-3) (Teamcasa) doth
sayeth:
snip loose pit bulls have mauled and killed some kids. snip

Not just pit bulls. And, not just kids, adults too, some in their
20s and 30s. Ever see any videos of pit bulls biting tires and
puncturing them? Scary.

Kevin Craig November 18th 05 02:39 AM

OT dangerous dogs

In article , J T
wrote:

Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 3:20pm (Jerry*S.) doth sayeth:
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to use your pointy stick.

Exactly.

Tied to the barrel of your shotgun.

He said he's got an SKS; most models come with a big pointy thing that
folds back under the barrel; when unfurled, the rifle becomes a pointy
stick.

J T November 18th 05 06:23 AM

OT dangerous dogs

Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 8:39pm (EST-1) (Kevin*Craig) doth
elucidate:
He said he's got an SKS; most models come with a big pointy thing that
folds back under the barrel; when unfurled, the rifle becomes a pointy
stick.

Crap, now even pointy sticks have gotten technical.

George Max November 18th 05 03:23 PM

OT dangerous dogs

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:23:52 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 2:07pm (EST-3)
(Teamcasa) doth
sayeth:
snip loose pit bulls have mauled and killed some kids. snip

Not just pit bulls. And, not just kids, adults too, some in their
20s and 30s. Ever see any videos of pit bulls biting tires and
puncturing them? Scary.

Never seen that. Wow. If that's true, they're even scarier than I'd
imagined.

Teamcasa November 18th 05 03:32 PM

OT dangerous dogs

"J T" wrote in message
Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 2:07pm (EST-3) (Teamcasa) doth
sayeth:
snip loose pit bulls have mauled and killed some kids. snip

Not just pit bulls. And, not just kids, adults too, some in their
20s and 30s. Ever see any videos of pit bulls biting tires and
puncturing them? Scary.
JOAT

Yep, I seen it. A friend that lives in a somewhat rural area raises them
and regularly "feeds" them tires to play with. They only last a week or so
before they are just shredded or disappear completely! How a dog can eat a
tire and not die is beyond me. Its also mystifies me why anyone would want
a dog like that anyway.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Too_Many_Tools November 18th 05 03:53 PM

OT dangerous dogs

Yes, pit bulls in particular are very dangerous if they decide to
attack.

Irresponsible ownership of this animal should be and is being dealt
with in terms of imprisonment, heavy fines and putting the animals in
question down.

TMT

Dave Hinz November 18th 05 07:01 PM

OT dangerous dogs

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:39:30 -0600, Kevin Craig wrote:

He said he's got an SKS; most models come with a big pointy thing that
folds back under the barrel; when unfurled, the rifle becomes a pointy
stick.

Ah, but if it's Chinese, then that makes it unimportable. The bayonet
is just fine on a Russian or Yugo SKS,but on the Chinese ones it's evil.

Good to know that we're protected from all those drive-by bayonetings we
keep hearing about.

J T November 18th 05 07:37 PM

OT dangerous dogs

Fri, Nov 18, 2005, 7:32am (EST-3) (Teamcasa)
Yep, I seen it. A friend that lives in a somewhat rural area raises them
and regularly "feeds" them tires to play with. They only last a week or
so before they are just shredded or disappear completely! How a dog can
eat a tire and not die is beyond me. Its also mystifies me why anyone
would want a dog like that anyway.

I wasn't referring to a "dead" tire. I've seen several videos of
pit bulls rampaging down streets, puncturing vehicle tires, and causing
them to instantly deflate. Vidoeos by people in vehicles, or their
homes. No telling what would have happened if any people had been out.
Fortunately, in the videos I saw, none were. Scary.

George Max November 19th 05 03:07 PM

OT dangerous dogs

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:37:08 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

I wasn't referring to a "dead" tire. I've seen several videos of
pit bulls rampaging down streets, puncturing vehicle tires, and causing
them to instantly deflate. Vidoeos by people in vehicles, or their
homes. No telling what would have happened if any people had been out.
Fortunately, in the videos I saw, none were. Scary.

JOAT
Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

Holy Cow! I think I'll stick with hounds. They're way more laid
back.

Doug Kanter November 23rd 05 07:44 PM

OT dangerous dogs

"Kevin Craig" wrote in message
In article , J T
wrote:

Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 3:20pm (Jerry S.) doth sayeth:
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to use your pointy stick.

Exactly.

Tied to the barrel of your shotgun.

He said he's got an SKS; most models come with a big pointy thing that
folds back under the barrel; when unfurled, the rifle becomes a pointy
stick.

But wait....doesn't the bayonet make it an assault weapon? :-)

Doug Kanter November 23rd 05 07:46 PM

OT dangerous dogs

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:39:30 -0600, Kevin Craig wrote:

He said he's got an SKS; most models come with a big pointy thing that
folds back under the barrel; when unfurled, the rifle becomes a pointy
stick.

Ah, but if it's Chinese, then that makes it unimportable. The bayonet
is just fine on a Russian or Yugo SKS,but on the Chinese ones it's evil.

Good to know that we're protected from all those drive-by bayonetings we
keep hearing about.

Drive-by: I can't help it. Ready?

What's this set of sounds indicative of?

CLIPPITY CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP.
pause
BLAM!!!!!!!!!!
CLIPPITY CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP.

page down...
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
An Amish drive-by.

Dave Hinz November 23rd 05 07:54 PM

OT dangerous dogs

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:44:34 GMT, Doug Kanter wrote:

"Kevin Craig" wrote in message

He said he's got an SKS; most models come with a big pointy thing that
folds back under the barrel; when unfurled, the rifle becomes a pointy
stick.

But wait....doesn't the bayonet make it an assault weapon? :-)

Only if the SKS in question is Chinese. If it's Russian, or
Yugoslavian, then it's just fine. I'm sure this makes sense somehow.

Doug Kanter November 23rd 05 07:56 PM

OT dangerous dogs

wrote:

"Kevin Craig" wrote in message

He said he's got an SKS; most models come with a big pointy thing that
folds back under the barrel; when unfurled, the rifle becomes a pointy
stick.

But wait....doesn't the bayonet make it an assault weapon? :-)

Only if the SKS in question is Chinese. If it's Russian, or
Yugoslavian, then it's just fine. I'm sure this makes sense somehow.

Because "Russian" and "Yugoslavian" already contain the letter "A", but
"Chinese" does not. Obviously.

Dave Hinz November 23rd 05 07:59 PM

OT dangerous dogs

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:56:20 GMT, Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Only if the SKS in question is Chinese. If it's Russian, or
Yugoslavian, then it's just fine. I'm sure this makes sense somehow.

Because "Russian" and "Yugoslavian" already contain the letter "A", but
"Chinese" does not. Obviously.

blink blink
Of course. Makes as much sense as any other theory I've seen, and more
than many. Good insight, Doug!

Dave