FunkySpaceCowboy

Default Woodworking (Neander) resources in Houston...

Howdy,

As a few of you may remember from my few past posts I'm pretty new to
WW'ing and have a 100% neander shop [1]. I'd like to know more about
some local services that are available here in Houston. Below are some
things I'd like to know more about, in more or less random order...

Saw sharpening services for handsaws? I sharpen my own edge tools
already and I'll probably eventually get setup to sharpen my own but at
the moment I'm more interested in making sawdust not metal filings.
Also I understand it's still possible to get good deals on old, high
quality handsaws at antique shops and flea markets, if I ever find a
few I want I'd prefer to have a pro do the initial resharpening and
setting.

Houston has a lot of flea markets and antique stores... anyone in the
area have any they've had good luck finding good old tools at?
Handsaws, planes, chisels etc...

Hardwood dealers you like? [2] I'd like to stick with S2S lumber for
time being if that makes a difference. I've bought some at the Rockler
on 59, probably paid too much but I don't feel ripped off since I
always get good service and advice there, and this was my first
hardwood purchase[3] so I was happy for the helping hand.. anyway I
digress... I'd like to find other dealers in the area for the days when
I don't need a lot of handholding

Any other good resources for a new wood dorker in the Houston area
anyone can point me towards? I live in Meyerland, near Braeswood and
610, if that helps...

Cheers,

Josh

-------------
[1] Or as some prefer to call it the spare room of my apartment
[2] Googling for this is a nightmare and turns up more hardwood floor
shops than anything. I saw a list from the wreck in google groups
that's about a year old, but thought I'd ask again incase things have
changed...
[3] about 4BF each of Ash and Walnut, been playing with a scrap from
the Walnut to get a feel for it wow... what an amazing improvment it is
over the crappy softwood from the Borg I'd been using...

Jack

On 10 Nov 2005 11:55:51 -0800, "FunkySpaceCowboy"
wrote:

Howdy,

As a few of you may remember from my few past posts I'm pretty new to
WW'ing and have a 100% neander shop [1]. I'd like to know more about
some local services that are available here in Houston. Below are some
things I'd like to know more about, in more or less random order...

Saw sharpening services for handsaws? I sharpen my own edge tools
already and I'll probably eventually get setup to sharpen my own but at
the moment I'm more interested in making sawdust not metal filings.
Also I understand it's still possible to get good deals on old, high
quality handsaws at antique shops and flea markets, if I ever find a
few I want I'd prefer to have a pro do the initial resharpening and
setting..........

On the handsaws. I looked and looked for someone to sharpen some old
handsaws for me and finally gave up and did it myself, Now that I have
done it, I can attest that it is not that difficult. Truly very easy
with minimal tools and skills. All you need is a good triangle file
sized to fit the TPI of the saw you wish to sharpen. Start by
carefully following the angle of a tooth. After a few teeth are
completed you'll have memorized the angle of the teeth. The only
problem you may encounter is locating a set tool if the teeth need
set. A wood vise can be used to hold the saw while you sharpen it.
Only sharpen those teeth directly above the vise jaws. When those
teeth are completed, move the saw in the vise and continue sharpening.
A typical hand saw will take less than an hour to sharpen and set.
Allow another 15-30 minutes to clean it up if it is rusted.
Leon

"FunkySpaceCowboy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Snip

You can get MUCH better pricing for hard woods, S3S cheaper than S2S at
Rockiler if you go to Hardwood PRODUCTS. Locanted on the Welt Belt toll
road, south bound side, south of Hammerly and north of I -10.

New Wave Dave

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"FunkySpaceCowboy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Snip

You can get MUCH better pricing for hard woods, S3S cheaper than S2S
at Rockiler if you go to Hardwood PRODUCTS. Locanted on the Welt Belt
toll road, south bound side, south of Hammerly and north of I -10.

For the past four or five years I've been buying my sheet goods and
hardwoods at Mason's Mill & Lumber on Tanner about a half mile east of
Gessner which would be about a mile plus east of Beltway 8.

I had my granddaddy's old Distons sharpened at Circle Saw on Ella
just south of Loop 610 North across the street from Lowes. However,
they've ruined the last circle saw blade of mine. I took my 12 inch
$130 Jesada miter saw blade with the 40 degree ATB and they turned it
into a 20 degree ATB with a raker every fifth tooth. Splinters
everything I cut with it. Didn't discover it for months just account I
had no need to put it back on the chopsaw. Jeez.

--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Leon

"New Wave Dave" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

For the past four or five years I've been buying my sheet goods and
hardwoods at Mason's Mill & Lumber on Tanner about a half mile east of
Gessner which would be about a mile plus east of Beltway 8.

So what are you having to pay for Red Oak plywood and Red Oak.

Roy

Good place to start would be the WW Club of Houston. Next meeting is this Saturday at 9am. A few
members are Normites, but a few are Neanders. A blend of the two extremes best describes the
majority.

Go to www.wwch.org and find the map under the box title "When and where do we meet?) in the upper
left. Bayland Community Center, 6400 Bissonet. This month's program is "Antique Tools", but I
don't know if it is about collecting them or using them.

Speak out during the "Problems and Solutions" section of the meeting (early on). Somebody there
will have an answer for you. Might be an answer to the question you ask. Might even be a good
answer.

Regards,
Roy

[...]

FunkySpaceCowboy

Roy,

Hey neat! I'll have to check that out, can't go this weekend though
I'll be in Galveston with my girlfriend for her birthday. Just looked
at the map on the website the meeting place is about 10 minutes from my
place cool!

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Josh

Patrick

Another place besides Hardwood Products on the beltway and I10 is off of
290. About a mile up from 610. It has been 4 years since I lived in
Houston and my street names might be a little rusty, so take this with a
grain of salt and use the Randal's as a marker. If you travel N on 610 and
swing onto 290, get off at the second? exit (34th?), there use to be an old
Randal's on the S side but they move to the N side of 290, at the end of the
parking lot, there is another wood dealer that had some good prices if I
remember correctly.

Another one that might have even better prices and I am very sure of . . .
a better supply, is "Masons Mill" on Tanner. Tanner is a few more miles up
the beltway from I-10W and the first exit at/past the toll booth by 290,
take a right and head towards town, it is about 2 miles up on the right.
16/4 everything and smaller in stacks up to 12' high. Bring cash since they
don't take cc. Look for 6 or seven rows of white tin building on the right,
they occupy several large sections. I've purchase plenty when I was living
in Houston and will get more of what I can't find here in GA when I travel
back home.

Best regards,
Patrick

Support your local Science Olympiad team and future engineer or scientist,
build-n-bust a bridge today.
www.woodbythebundle.com

Lowell Holmes

"FunkySpaceCowboy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Howdy,

As a few of you may remember from my few past posts I'm pretty new to
WW'ing and have a 100% neander shop [1]. I'd like to know more about
some local services that are available here in Houston. Below are some
things I'd like to know more about, in more or less random order...

Saw sharpening services for handsaws? I sharpen my own edge tools
already and I'll probably eventually get setup to sharpen my own but at
the moment I'm more interested in making sawdust not metal filings.
Also I understand it's still possible to get good deals on old, high
quality handsaws at antique shops and flea markets, if I ever find a
few I want I'd prefer to have a pro do the initial resharpening and
setting.

snip

Try The Cutting Edge. I've had handsaws sharpened there and was really
pleased. They send them out as a service. I now sharpen my own saws.
Houston Hardwoods and Clarke Hardwood lumber are places where I buy lumber.
I've not had much luck finding used tools, but I Bought a lot of E-bay items
and now I'm of the opinion that buying new tools is the best way to go. I
bought a 3/4" mortise chisel from The Cutting Edge for $29 last week and it
is a serious piece of steel. I took about 3 minutes honing it and it was
ready to go. The back of the chisel was flat out of the box.
Look up the Woodworking Club for sure.