Default 12" planers

Well I have looked over the reviews of 12" planers. They all were dated
around 2002 reviews.
I wonder it opinions have changed. It looked like Makita, DeWalt, and
Rigid were in the top.
I am about to buy one, just looking for latest thoughts on 12" planers.

Thanks,
NickNack

Astriapo

mover wrote:

I have a 13" Rigid that I purchased a little over a year ago and I've been
very happy with it.

Mike
wrote in message
oups.com...

Well I have looked over the reviews of 12" planers. They all were dated
around 2002 reviews.
I wonder it opinions have changed. It looked like Makita, DeWalt, and
Rigid were in the top.
I am about to buy one, just looking for latest thoughts on 12" planers.

Thanks,
NickNack

I have to agree. I am very happy with my Rigid. I've only had it for
about 6 months. No complaints.
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well I have looked over the reviews of 12" planers. They all were dated
around 2002 reviews.
I wonder it opinions have changed. It looked like Makita, DeWalt, and
Rigid were in the top.
I am about to buy one, just looking for latest thoughts on 12" planers.

Many have been replace by 13" planers now. Delta 580 and the DW 735 seem to
be the most popular around here lately. I have, and like, the Delta.

Upscale

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
Look for tests and opinions on 13" planers now.

Is 13" a new standard size?

My guess would be that 12" is a commonly used width when constructing many
projects and planing something of that width would require a blade a little
bit wider, thus the need for 13".

Greg G.

Upscale said:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
Look for tests and opinions on 13" planers now.

Is 13" a new standard size?

My guess would be that 12" is a commonly used width when constructing many
projects and planing something of that width would require a blade a little
bit wider, thus the need for 13".

And marketing gurus are always looking to one-up the competition.
Thus we have progressed from 12" to 12.5" to 13".
And with cheap labor/offshore production, expect to see it rise even
more - to a point. The design limitations of uni-motors, aluminum
cutter-heads and such will restrict this width eventually. We're
probably very close... It will be exceeded on a few models, they will
be disasters, and the market will then back off and settle on some
reasonable industry standard for lunchbox portable planers.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Charlie Self

Greg G. wrote:
Upscale said:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
Look for tests and opinions on 13" planers now.

Is 13" a new standard size?

My guess would be that 12" is a commonly used width when constructing many
projects and planing something of that width would require a blade a little
bit wider, thus the need for 13".

And marketing gurus are always looking to one-up the competition.
Thus we have progressed from 12" to 12.5" to 13".
And with cheap labor/offshore production, expect to see it rise even
more - to a point. The design limitations of uni-motors, aluminum
cutter-heads and such will restrict this width eventually. We're
probably very close... It will be exceeded on a few models, they will
be disasters, and the market will then back off and settle on some
reasonable industry standard for lunchbox portable planers.

Sears has the Craftsman 15" planer/moulder, steel head, belt driven,
that uses a universal motor. I've had one for a bit, and it works well
in light cuts (but none of these universal motor planers will take
anything approaching a heavy cut). It also hogs out some sizeable
molding patterns without any trouble, except for getting the alignment
correct. I would say, though, that 18" is not likely with a universal
motor.

Odinn

On 11/8/2005 2:47 AM Upscale mumbled something about the following:
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Look for tests and opinions on 13" planers now.

Is 13" a new standard size?

My guess would be that 12" is a commonly used width when constructing many
projects and planing something of that width would require a blade a little
bit wider, thus the need for 13".

or 12 1/2" like my DeWalt 733? I was looking at the BORG, and the price
difference between the 12 1/2" vs the 13" was almost $100 for almost
every brand.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well I have looked over the reviews of 12" planers. They all were dated
around 2002 reviews.
I wonder it opinions have changed. It looked like Makita, DeWalt, and
Rigid were in the top.
I am about to buy one, just looking for latest thoughts on 12" planers.

If you have the room, consider also the smaller stationary planers. I would
probably put another $ 300 with the money that would buy an expensive
portable and go with a stationary.

Thanks every one. I am going to get the DeWalt 13". It has alot of good
reviews.

NickNack