Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Steve Thayer

Default Update: Moving Sawstop

Thanks to everyone that posted opinions/ideas on how I could best move my
650 lb cabinet.

I ended up borrowing a friend's trailer and picking the saw up at the
convention center. Once I got it home I was planning on getting 6 or 8
friends to come over and man-handle it down the hill and into the basement.
The 1st guy I called used to move BIG cooking equiptment for a living. He
said he would come over and check it out. He showed up 20 min later with
his wife. He pushed on the 4ftx4ftx4ft 650 lb crate and said we can do this
ourselves. He and I proceeded to gradually pull it off the trailer onto 2
furniture dollies. We then pulled it down the steep 100ft grassy hill with
straps while his wife steadied it. We then pushed it accross the flat part
of the yard to some sliding glass doors. We had to take the doors off the
track and uncrate the saw at this point. We then kind of turned it and
eased it through the opening using the dollies again. I was worried we
would crush the threshhold, but we did not even touch it. I was amazed and
thought it would be a much greater ordeal. Besides tearing the heck out of
my yard and bending the screen on my door a little, it went well.

By the way this is the greatest saw I have ever touched. The top is 30
inches deep, it is massive and heavy and the fit and finish are perfect. I
got the 5 HP model. I still have not fired it up yet since I have been
putting on the fence, cleaning it and wiring it, etc.. I have been using a
circa 1960's Craftsman of my Grandfather's for the past 10 years. My wife,
who happens to be a plastic surgeon, decided that she did not want to have
to sew one of my fingers back on, so SHE suggested I get it!!!!!! She does
a lot of hand surgery and she gets called in at least once a week for a
tablesaw amputation or laceration.

Thanks again,
Steve