David Busby

Default Timber de-humidifier

Years ago I came across plans for a home-made timber de-humidifying unit
using a domestic refrigerator. I'd like to have a go at one now, perhaps
using an ordinary household dehumidifier. Anyone got any comments, pointers,
links, references.
Thanks
Dave

Greg G.

David Busby said:

Years ago I came across plans for a home-made timber de-humidifying unit
using a domestic refrigerator. I'd like to have a go at one now, perhaps
using an ordinary household dehumidifier. Anyone got any comments, pointers,
links, references.
Thanks
Dave

There is back issue of the American Woodworker, #94 - June 2002 that
details such a device. I have not built it, but the article seems
relevant to your query.

Greg G.

Greg G.

David Busby said:

Thanks for your speedy response. I'm from the UK so I'm not sure if I could
get hold of a copy, though I've already emailed the back issue dept!

Dave

If you can't get it, let me know.
I have the article.

Greg G.
Greg G.

David Busby said:

Thanks for your speedy response. I'm from the UK so I'm not sure if I could
get hold of a copy, though I've already emailed the back issue dept!

Oh, and the article is "Air Dying Lumber : When done properly,
super-frugal air-drying can produce perfect lumber : Pay Less for
Wood! : Build this wood drying kiln around an inexpensive household
dehumidifier."

Greg G.

David Busby

It sounds exactly what I want. Getting decent timber (lumber) round here is
a pain. I bought some premium grade Scandinavian softwood from a local yard,
was assured it was 'dry', carefully stacked it for several weeks in a warm
room before using it. Even so it shrunk and warped when I turned it into a
cabinet and some internal doors. I've made quite a few windows and external
doors but have always used tropical hardwoods, aformosia, iroko, etc -I
wouldn't dare use softwood, though if it was properly seasoned it would be
fine.

I will let you know if I can't get that article, thanks a lot.

Dave

"Greg G." wrote in message
David Busby said:

Thanks for your speedy response. I'm from the UK so I'm not sure if I
could
get hold of a copy, though I've already emailed the back issue dept!

Oh, and the article is "Air Dying Lumber : When done properly,
super-frugal air-drying can produce perfect lumber : Pay Less for
Wood! : Build this wood drying kiln around an inexpensive household
dehumidifier."

Greg G.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:26:08 -0000, "David Busby"
wrote:

Getting decent timber (lumber) round here is a pain.

There's plenty of excellent timber available in the UK, the problem is
finding who sells it. There are two totally disconnected trades between
"construction" timber and "cabinetry" timber. Trying to buy good timber
from the construction trade suppliers is just about possible, but it's
poor quality and expensive.

For some better price guides, look at my local guys
www.interestingtimbers.co.uk

For your local equivalent, buy a copy of Furniture and Cabinet Making
magazine and read the ads in the back.
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:07:55 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
"David Busby" quickly quoth:

Years ago I came across plans for a home-made timber de-humidifying unit
using a domestic refrigerator. I'd like to have a go at one now, perhaps
using an ordinary household dehumidifier. Anyone got any comments, pointers,
links, references.
Thanks
Dave

How about a solar kiln instead? Free plans he
http://www.allwoodwork.com/article/w.../solarkiln.htm

-
Don't be a possum on the Information Superhighway of life.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Database-Driven Websites
David Busby

When I said 'getting decent timber round here is a pain' I meant my locality
(Herefordshire). I have been buying wood round here for over thirty years
and I can assure you that nowadays there is no equivalent of
interestingtimbers.co.uk (who I know about). It's all a matter of location.
This is a good area for green and air dried English hardwood, but getting
decent softwood is, as I've said, a pain. If I dry my own timber I take
control of my raw material, without having to drag my trailer halfway across
the country, and if I get my cutting list wrong, or change my mind, don't
have to do it all over again.

Dave