Dave

Default Porter Cable versus Hitachi router opinion wanted.

I have been looking at the PC 694VK and the Hitachi KM12VC routers. Both
have the fixed and plunge bases that come with them. I cannot decide which
one to purchase. Tool Crib has them for nearly the same price. I primarily
will be using it for routing dovetails on my Leigh jig and for misc
operations. I will not be using it in a router table. Which one do you folks
like the best for these operations? The Hitatchi has a 1/2 more HP. I don't
think it would make that much difference for what I want to use it for.
Thanks for your opinions,

Brian In Hampton

I have the P_C and I like it alot....Brian

--
www.members.cox.net/bsnikitas
"Never Underestimate The Power Of Stupid People
"Dave" wrote in message
I have been looking at the PC 694VK and the Hitachi KM12VC routers. Both
have the fixed and plunge bases that come with them. I cannot decide

which
one to purchase. Tool Crib has them for nearly the same price. I primarily
will be using it for routing dovetails on my Leigh jig and for misc
operations. I will not be using it in a router table. Which one do you

folks
like the best for these operations? The Hitatchi has a 1/2 more HP. I

don't
think it would make that much difference for what I want to use it for.
Thanks for your opinions,

Robatoy

In article KMB9f.291003$084.220445@attbi_s22, "Dave" wrote:

I have been looking at the PC 694VK and the Hitachi KM12VC routers. Both
have the fixed and plunge bases that come with them. I cannot decide which
one to purchase. Tool Crib has them for nearly the same price. I primarily
will be using it for routing dovetails on my Leigh jig and for misc
operations. I will not be using it in a router table. Which one do you folks
like the best for these operations? The Hitatchi has a 1/2 more HP. I don't
think it would make that much difference for what I want to use it for.
Thanks for your opinions,

I used to buy a lot of PC routers. The quality has deteriorated, at least with
their production routers.
The higher failure rate in their bearings, forced me to look at other routers.
I have been very pleased with the M12V in the plunge category and it HAS to be
the best bang for the buck out there.
For the smaller routers, I'm completely sold on the Milwaukee 1516. It takes all
the PC template bushing with an optional base-plate (or you can buy one from Pat
Warner, if you want a very nice one.)
I'm very impressed with the Milwaukee routers. I have 3 now and work them very
hard under less that favourable conditions (solid surface fabrication).
That 5616 runs like a Swiss watch at low RPM..and rated at 2.25 HP..has LOTS of
balls.

The usual caveats..no..I don't work for Milwaukee..not even their breweries.
Phisherman

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 04:01:46 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

I have been looking at the PC 694VK and the Hitachi KM12VC routers. Both
have the fixed and plunge bases that come with them. I cannot decide which
one to purchase. Tool Crib has them for nearly the same price. I primarily
will be using it for routing dovetails on my Leigh jig and for misc
operations. I will not be using it in a router table. Which one do you folks
like the best for these operations? The Hitatchi has a 1/2 more HP. I don't
think it would make that much difference for what I want to use it for.
Thanks for your opinions,

I like the Porter Cable. Since you are not to use it in a router
table, I'd go with the lighter-weight model which can be easier to
handle.

Astriapo

Phisherman wrote:

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 04:01:46 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

I have been looking at the PC 694VK and the Hitachi KM12VC routers. Both
have the fixed and plunge bases that come with them. I cannot decide which
one to purchase. Tool Crib has them for nearly the same price. I primarily
will be using it for routing dovetails on my Leigh jig and for misc
operations. I will not be using it in a router table. Which one do you folks
like the best for these operations? The Hitatchi has a 1/2 more HP. I don't
think it would make that much difference for what I want to use it for.
Thanks for your opinions,

I like the Porter Cable. Since you are not to use it in a router
table, I'd go with the lighter-weight model which can be easier to
handle.

And the Porter Cable is very easy to switch bases, also Micro Adjust. I
love mine.