jeff

Default lyptus wood

Has anyone used Weyerhaeuser's lyptus wood for furniture or flooring?
I saw Rockler sold it and had the same information that the
Weyerhaeuser website had. I most want to know how it works for
furniture. It seems the stuff is hard to get. Here in Columbus, OH
we can get any kind of wood under the sun, but nobody's heard of it.
I'm talking 500+ bf quantity, not just the little bit Rockler sells.

thanks,
Jeff

ROYNEU

Jeff,

Here is one definition I found by Googling. All I did was type in
Lyptus wood in the search bar. Found many but this sounds like what you
want.

http://www.magnadesign.com/products/finishes/Lyptus.htm

Roy

leonard

hi Jeff

I have used lyptus many times. Its somewhat like cherry, machines well,
leaves a crisp edge and when finished is a redish brown. Now I have used it
both for indoor projects and out door projects and its holding up well.I'm
around balitmore and here it's easy to get and is one of the cheaper woods.

Len

robo hippy

I have used it on several projects, and I plan to use more of it. The
wood is hard and dense, but because of the rapid growth rate, the fiber
structure structure is not very tight. This means that it tends to
splinter when cutting, especially when cutting or routing end grain. It
does have some oil or resin in it, so there is some tendency to burn
with dull tools, thickness sanding, drilling, or slow feed rates when
cutting. The color is wonderful ,almost pink and it reddens nicely with
age. You will find it almost impossible to get boards that will be one
solid color across a whole table top. A card scraper leaves a wonderful
surface, almost burnished. It sands nicely, glues nicely, and takes
lacquer nicely. I haven't tried an oil finish yet. The price is a lot
less than cherry. It is available only in 4/4 and 8/4 boards for now.
robo hippy

Has anyone used Weyerhaeuser's lyptus wood for furniture or flooring?

As we speak. No ones heard about it in Winnipeg, Mb either, but I got
a first look at finished flooring samples and at a small chunk of it
in the rough about 2 yrs ago. My daughter works with Weyerhaeuser
and scored some Lyptus for me - about 300 bf at a very good price.
All of it 2 by random. Perhaps this is a gloat.

I was going to redo my kitchen with it, but when I unloaded the pile,
I was worn out by the time I got to the last board. This stuff is
'very' heavy and I'm thinking that as raised panel doors they may be
too heavy. It will likely end up as furniture and sawdust.

There's a fellow in Minnisota (do a look up with Excite) who is
selling the stuff by the 10th of a bf. His price works out to 17.70
per bf, and I think he's aiming a pen and keychain makers.

From the look of the wood, I expect to get lots of splinters (like
Oak), dull a few edges sooner (like hard maple), and kill myself
trying to lift the finished pieces around.

Try calling Weyerhaeuser directly and ask who in your area is on
their customer list. Then see if that customer (your retailer) will
bring some in for you. Because the Lyptus is random, you buy what
you want and not a whole lift. While I paid mostly wholesale, you
will likely pay mostly retail. According to a Weyerhaeuser
salesman, the price should rival Cherry per bf.

Pete

Tattooed and Dusty

The lumber yard I frequent for large orders here in Portland, Or stocks
the stuff. I picked up a slab they glued up for a client who changed
their mind, and have yet to touch it really. In other words i can't
comment on how it works.

It was way cheaper than cherry, I don't recall right now how much. I
think $3 a bf, where cherry from the same place if 6.50 or so. They
refer to it as "lift-this" The three by three 6/4 slab i have is "hard"
for me to lift. Meaning nearly impossible. Not that I'm Goliath or
anything, but I would guess it's weight in the 140lb range. I really
don't know what I am going to do with it.

Seems like a great material for flooring, less suited for furniture to
me.

Andrew

robo hippy

I get it from Cross Cut Hardwoods here in Eugene, and the retail is
about $4.40 per bf.
robo hippy