Default veneer - cutting long pieces accurately

I was hoping to find some adhesive-backed (pressure sensitive)
walnut veneer in 3" wide rolls, but it looks like I'll have to
make it myself. The stuff can be purchased in a 24" X 96" size
but what would be the best way to slice it into long (96")
strips?

I think I'll try to do it on the tablesaw, with a zero-clearance piece
clamped to the rip fence.

Bill Leonhardt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was hoping to find some adhesive-backed (pressure sensitive)
walnut veneer in 3" wide rolls, but it looks like I'll have to
make it myself. The stuff can be purchased in a 24" X 96" size
but what would be the best way to slice it into long (96")
strips?

Others have mentioned the long straight edge and knife approach and I'd like
to add my vote to theirs. Two things to pay attention to:

1. Cut in the direction that WOULD NOT cause the knife to follow the grain
away from the straight edge.

2. Use a very sharp knife (i.e. X-acto with NEW #11 blade) and take many
very light cuts.

Bill Leonhardt

Jeff Gorman

"Bill Leonhardt" wrote
wrote

I was hoping to find some adhesive-backed (pressure sensitive)
walnut veneer in 3" wide rolls, but it looks like I'll have to
make it myself. The stuff can be purchased in a 24" X 96" size
but what would be the best way to slice it into long (96")
strips?

Others have mentioned the long straight edge and knife approach and I'd
like to add my vote to theirs. Two things to pay attention to:

1. Cut in the direction that WOULD NOT cause the knife to follow the
grain away from the straight edge.

2. Use a very sharp knife (i.e. X-acto with NEW #11 blade) and take many
very light cuts.

Probably the most reliable way of accurately lengthwise cutting veneer is to
follow this advice and then finally trim the edge on a shooting board, using
a suitable board to flatten and secure the workpiece.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

It will be torn to pieces.

--
dadiOH

Unbacked veneer would, surely, but the 3M presure- sensitive stuff cut
like Formica
on the table saw, with its paper backing. With the proper setup it
worked fine.

Looking for info on Plasmacam and plasma cutting Gunner Metalworking 4 July 22nd 04 09:14 PM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
Gear cutting...am I crazy? (long) Glenn Lyford Metalworking 27 December 27th 03 06:39 AM
Basics on Depth of Cuts Chris S Metalworking 10 September 2nd 03 03:15 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM