Bill Leonhardt

Default Drill Press Advice

I am shopping for a drill press for my son. I am down to the following
three choices:

Grizzly G7943
Grizzly G7944
Hitachi B16RM

My son lives in Ohio and I on Long Island and so I have to pass Grizzly on
my to visit him. Really, Grizzly is on the way, well at least that what I
told SWMBO.

I used to think Hitachi made reasonable quality tools, but with the
abundance I now see them in the blue borg, I wonder if they haven't put out
a cheaper line for blue borg sales. I looked at the Hitachi at the local
borg. Rather smallish looking motor (no label, which surprised me). Web
say max. developed HP is 1, which I guess translates to 1/2 actual.
Grizzlys are 3/4HP. Depth stop was a bit rickety as well.

Anyway, anyone have any of these DPs? Comments? The biggest unknown and
concern I have is the amount of runout.

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

I have the 7944 and like it (now that I've built a decent table for it
with dust collection); it's the only one I've owned or used
extensively. My dad helped me assemble it and was favorably impressed
by it. I'm sorry to report that I haven't measured runout.

I've had to straighten out the L bracket that makes the depth stop
*stop* ... I wish it were made of a heavier guage of metal. Wouldn't be
hard to replace, but so far I've settled for not forcing it.

On a drive that long, the 20 minutes or so from I-80 to Muncy shouldn't
count against you too much. Honk your horn when you go by the
Bloomsburg exit.

Jim in PA

John

I too have the 7944 (just got it last month). So far from the little I have
had time to use it, it appears to be a good machine. I have not checked the
runout either. Speed changing is easy and table height adjustment is smooth
(only downside is the table is for metal and not woodworking so jig
attachment might be a issue). I had also concerned the Ridgid but the 7944
was a better deal including shipping.

John M.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have the 7944 and like it (now that I've built a decent table for it
with dust collection); it's the only one I've owned or used
extensively. My dad helped me assemble it and was favorably impressed
by it. I'm sorry to report that I haven't measured runout.

I've had to straighten out the L bracket that makes the depth stop
*stop* ... I wish it were made of a heavier guage of metal. Wouldn't be
hard to replace, but so far I've settled for not forcing it.

On a drive that long, the 20 minutes or so from I-80 to Muncy shouldn't
count against you too much. Honk your horn when you go by the
Bloomsburg exit.

Jim in PA

rickluce

If I were to buy a drill press again this is what I would do.

1) Find one made of heavy, decent steel,
2)make sure it has a relatively good motor and chuck
and most importantly
3)walk up to the drill press, grab the quill and make sure there is no
rattle, or runout. then say, this is the one I'd like to purchase.

I got lucky with my Jet drill press(no run out), I know several people
who have not been so lucky.